It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan questions U.S. silence over Pakistan's role

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I guess I'm the only one worried about this. Fair enough.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

Nope. Just reading along.

I am just trying to stay out of the handbasket that the world is going to hell in.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

These reports came from the US. They aren’t seeing them for the first time now. They’ve known about all of this much longer than the average Joe. I’d be surprised if they hadn’t acted on this intelligence.

The US reporting that they have strengthened their ties with Pakistan is not surprising.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Ultimately, this must all be because of an exit strategy. There's no love loss between Pakistan and India, but I am sure Pakistan will seek controlling influences in Afghanistan. The Taliban will be key to brokering any stabilization, but this will be kept well away from the public eye.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So these steps, leaving and possibly increasing troops are just intermediate steps in the U.S.'s exit strategy? Hmm...okay. Hope we can accomplish all this with that $33B.

I can see where the US might say that ties with Pakistan are strengthening over recent months, but this might really put a new slant on it, particularly the words from Afghanistan?

reply to post by worlds_away

Do you really think we shared this with the Afghani government?

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I see two options based on a projected 2011 troop withdraw target. One, a surge like Iraq, which has ostensibly worked and a final attempt to hammer the Taliban out. Two, if this doesn't work or is partially successful, then a deal with the Taliban must be made. I think Pakistan will go along for the initial ride, but will retain a relationship with the Taliban if the coalition fail to oust them.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Thanks. I have way more brushing up to do on this front. Ugh. Still trying to digest all the ramifications and fallout that been coming out from the leaks. Interesting watching the reactions.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

It is interesting and if anything, these leaks have thrust the spotlight firmly on Afghanistan and we now have a concise picture of what's happening. The leaks should be used to put pressure on all coalition governments to bring closure to this war.

If we had front line journalism to begin with, then we would have had this information a lot sooner. One of the disgraces about this war and Iraq is the harm it has done to journalism and the ability to bring both sides of war into the public eye.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The fact that the Afghan government is making a big deal out of it tells me they either weren’t told and are pissed or they were told and are trying to cover up that they knew or they knew without having to be told and are now having to acknowledge it and make it seem as if they never knew.

I think somebody in Afghanistan knew about this, yes. Not all information comes from United States military reports. They don’t necessarily need to be told by the US in order to suspect something. On the other hand, maybe they didn’t have any idea some areas of Pakistan were friendly to training Taliban fighters.... yeah right.

Having the information doesn’t always mean you can act on it.
I am of the opinion that the US had no clue what they were getting themselves into and now have to seem like they have control or else they will lose what little control over the situation they have left.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Absolutely! And it would have been a lot harder for them to ridicule and squash the information we were getting too.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

Thanks for elaborating on that. It helps with the kind of perspective I like to have on these geopolitical messes....er maneuverings.

Speaking of having no idea what we were getting into in Afghanistan, I've been waiting to hear Russia weigh in on this whole mess. Wonder if there's been anything...need to look.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Link seems broken.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away

The fact that the Afghan government is making a big deal out of it tells me they either weren’t told and are pissed or they were told and are trying to cover up that they knew or they knew without having to be told and are now having to acknowledge it and make it seem as if they never knew.

Strange, the reactions I heard so far from Karzai were "Well, thats what we already knew." Stressing the ISI involvement and the civil casualties and off course ignoring all mentions of Afg government corruption.
I dont get, where you see "the Afghan government making a big deal out of it"

The Pakis seem really pissed about the reports. Well, they end in 2009 and kind of undo their Anti-Taliban efforts since the South-Waziristan campaign for the american public eye.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by XenoStuffz

You must have ignored the rest of my post and not read the source article.

The might not be making “a big deal”, true. Just my choice of words. But they are not being silent.

I will tiptoe saying this, but the Afghan government may see the United States as “negotiating” with terrorists instead of stamping them out. This would not be good for the United States. They are the ones that started this War on Terror with the objective of “wiping out the terrorists”. The United States may not have anticipated just who those “terrorists” and their backers were/are.

quote - "With regret ... our allies did not show necessary attention about the external support for the international terrorists ... for the regional stability and global security," the council said in a statement. - end quote from source article www.reuters.com

The only difference between now and a month ago is that this information is now “public" knowledge.

p.s. When I say the United States and Afghan government, I mean the people that have the power to make wars like this happen, obviously not everybody.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XenoStuffz

Link seems broken.

Hmmm...works for me...let's try this....

online.wsj.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join