It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

facebook friend finder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
this app is supposed to find you new friends with some sort of special algorytm? or so you think?
no, it just searches your gmail account and wants to send invitations to all the people you write on gmail,to join facebok.
this is incredible retarded,it dosnt find friends,it just helps facebook grow larger,this is complete bull^&*(.
and i dont even remember giving facebook acces to my gmail account

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
yep! I completely agree with you there. They honestly think we're a bunch of idiots? What's more annoying is that a lot of my friends seem to use it, not realizing the 'clever' strategy behind it, they have fallen trap to advertisement & greed once again.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
and the coolest thing is it just opens all your gmail contacts and checks them for you,you just press that shiny send button,and all your people you have written email to,will receive spam to join facebook.
if i was a boss,and i receive that spam from some employee im going to demote him or something.

the worst part is same here,my friends used it too "it says" atleast.
but hey there is wrost

when you activate your starcraft 2 account with blizzard you have to agree that blizzard can see all your chat and message? next level of ignorance?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Blizzard is doing that? Wow. What are they afraid of??? Is is just that they feel they need that crazy level of control?

Not to mention the whole online confirmation you apparently need for Starcraft 2. Even after installation, you are required to activate. Even for patches and maps...activate activate activate. It may be all to countering pirating, but you can only do so much till you really start pissing people off.

Yep, I think we gonna see big companies like facebook slowly gain control of how we do things on the internet. All to their benefit, of course.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I think it requires a base understanding of the terms and conditions that Facebook provides including its privacy statement, however close under the microscope that has been of late.

I perhaps might be corrected, but the last time I checked the terms and conditions (back in 2008) it did contain a point relating to this very point and it does inform you how how exactly it will use g-mail, hotmail or whatever-mail account. It's called reading the small print.

You are invited to read through all of the privacy information and what facebook does with your privacy on becoming a member when you first join the website.

I'm sorry but I don't buy into this Facebook identity conspiracy that some morons on here would raleigh on about. It's a social networking website that mines your data, that's a raw fact. If people had an ounce of sense they'd take it upon themselves to realise that fact and then make a decision whether or not to participate.

I'm on facebook because it's fantastic way to stay in contact with family, extended family and some long time friends. I disclose the absolute bare minimum of information and I'm not able to be searched by members of the public. Now, I'm certainly not a fool (like many on this board would have you believe by being a member of facebook) so I ensure I take control of exactly what I exchange and how I use facebook.

Now, try and convince me I've fallen trap to advertisment and greed? You'll have a bloody hard time trying.

Peace

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm more concerned with people I don't even know spamming me with friend request. If you don't know them, and they don't send a personal message to let you know who they are, do not accept them.

There are people out there who farm your information for things like your mother's maiden name or your pet's name, etc. They then use this info to hack into your accounts.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
yes to my shock blizzard did that, i made a battle net account so i can download starcraft 2 and they wanted me to agree that they can collect all chats and messages in starcraft 2 which are supposed to be PRIVATE!

facebook datamines like crazy we all can agree,its enough to know that they are rich bastards who only laught at us. but the thing it GETS ME ANGRY its that its just like twilight,its like youtube famous people. its MONOPOLY.

you get an account and you get in touch with all your past friends and classmates.
AND WHAT?
its just like being in a cafee in real life!
they all want to brag,to use you,to brag how they are happy,or have a boyfriend and lets be honest you dont care about theyr stupid interests.
now i only have my clossest friends on facebook,not one of those fakos.
and if there was a better site i would go there.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive

you get an account and you get in touch with all your past friends and classmates.
AND WHAT?
its just like being in a cafee in real life!
they all want to brag,to use you,to brag how they are happy,or have a boyfriend and lets be honest you dont care about theyr stupid interests.
now i only have my clossest friends on facebook,not one of those fakos.
and if there was a better site i would go there.

That's a hideously parochial view. Perhaps in your life and situation you percieve these things in such ways, but you forget that a vast number of users communicate genuinely through websites such as these and do have interests in friends' or families lives, because they are loved ones or whatever. A monthly broadband bill is somewhat lesser than that of a telephone land-bill to a long distant friend / relative and that's one of the many, many reasons websites like these gain such furious momentum with people.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
im not saying otherwise,your right.
since i kept only me best real friends and nice people in a secret account,everything is better. but still things like friendfinder and stupid apps are just disgusting
they are insulting to our inteligence

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
ah afcourse how can i forget the greatest insult on our inteligence.

when you find a facebook of some star (movie,music,whatever)
and you expect that this is the real person and you can send him a cool message or just know whats his up to.
and its just a media account made bu his company,where they spam you with "next concerct BUY TICKETs,new ALBUM IS OUt,BUY TSHIRTS"

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

im not saying otherwise,your right.
since i kept only me best real friends and nice people in a secret account,everything is better. but still things like friendfinder and stupid apps are just disgusting
they are insulting to our inteligence

Sorry, my interpretation of your previous comments were that you were exclusively against facebook for those very reasons alone. You're obviously not.

I do maintain, though, if it's important for one to take note of how Facebook operates, it's therefore essential that one reads the T&C's and policies therein. I'm also not suggesting you haven't done this, but the very nature of facebook is to data mine information that people allow it to. I applaud you for taking your own strict privacy stance on having a 'secret' account, it's a very sensible thing to do.

I would always recommend these follows tips with facebook:

1. Use as few applications as possible (i.e. photos etc);
2. Never opt for the "Remember Me" button on the facebook login page;
3. Keep profile information like ''Basic Information'' which contain your specific interests, likes, dislikes, work, college, etc to an absolute bare minimum. Personally I only have several bands listed on my page and nothing else. Besides, why wouldn't I like to show that I am very proud, HUGE, fan of The Prodigy?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
If I have a friend they can all reach me on my phone. If I cannot respond they can leave me message and they always have my email. I use email as last resort for convenience otherwise it is better to have little inconvenience than to lose privacy. I received emails from Face book pretending to be from friends and relatives. But I didn't respond. To my surprise I received 2nd and 3rd time emails. I called them. To my surprise they didn't even know that I had received emails on their behalf. They never authorized it. What you do in this kind of situation? Personally if they pull this kind of s..t on me, I send them a bug to reward them.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
your saying that facebook send you spam email to pretend its from your friends/family to hook you up? perhaps they used the friend finder and didnt even know>?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

ah afcourse how can i forget the greatest insult on our inteligence.

when you find a facebook of some star (movie,music,whatever)
and you expect that this is the real person and you can send him a cool message or just know whats his up to.
and its just a media account made bu his company,where they spam you with "next concerct BUY TICKETs,new ALBUM IS OUt,BUY TSHIRTS"

Absolutely and I agree. To refer to my last comment, I would willingly add pages of bands I like that I know the information exchanged on their pages and how you interact with their pages are legitimate and to an extent exclusive to that page. Of course, it's the level of trust you have on that page but understandbly there are too many pretenders on Facebook so finding the genuine fan pages can be difficult. It leaves you, as you've noted previously, spamming the world with tripe.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
i wish i would return to myspace,i think it was more loyal to the users.
and i dont know if i should try twitter,its probably the most CIA project they made

new topics

top topics

join