It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free will a lie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I didn't know where to put this but this seemed like the best place. I was thinking for a little and got onto many subject. This was one of them.

If time is a like a piece of string....(Space time continum I believe) then there is no choice. Since it is a string, the past is "reliving" what you have live, then in essence you are living what your "future" self has lived. Now since you are living a path that has been layed down, you wouldn't have free will. This raises the question of...when did it begin? When was the string made, who MADE your first desicions. A question I cannot even begin to answer.

Now, free will on a religious side, Christianity, believes that we have free will and we can choose to believe in God. Now we base this on an opinion/faith. Where did our opinion in God come from? I know I can't change my opinion, where did I get these? From my parents? If we had true free will we would act as a computer almost. Inputing data...then basing our opinions on it. But we would be biased already...

These may not make sense, as the second one I was a bit sketchy explaining.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don't think our lifes path is completely set. It is set so that we are presented with a bunch of choices. Our free will is the choice we make when presented with the choices. Our experiences could be extrapolated to include all possible variables so that our life experiences could be theoretically determined based on probability.

Otherwise we wouldn't know in our "hearts" when we made the right choice. i.e. when it feels right.

thats just my opinion

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
YEs but I my first paragraph explains why it has been set...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
there is really no way to tell if the decisions that we make are made freely by us or if we just go ahead and make the decision that we were gonna make or which was really already made for us in the future because of the time continum string that we are just sliding down.. it may feel like we made the wrong or right choice to us, but we can't go back and change it, so maybe we can't change the future either. the future is possibly already set like concrete in death valley in august. things are just gonna happen the way they happen just like everything in the past is frozen solid so is the future.

i am not saying i believe either way just typing thoughts

peace

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yes, Pan...That is how I think. If we can go to the future, it won't change anything because on the "string" your future self has already done that.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I would like to see someone prove time is a "string"... The fact of the matter is for all we know scientists could have everything wrong, just think everyone was convinced the earth was flat once. We could be just as far off with our science as they where.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
i am quoting myself from another thread. the post is slightly edited to fit in context.

Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected [the same] in hope,
Rom 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Rom 9:11 (For [the children] being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
Rom 9:12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
Rom 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
Rom 9:14 What shall we say then? [Is there] unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
Rom 9:16 So then [it is] not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Rom 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will [have mercy], and whom he will he hardeneth.
Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?
Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
Rom 9:22 [What] if God, willing to shew [his] wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
Rom 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

let me put it in these terms. . . man is free to do what comes naturally. so unless man is his own creator, thusly defining his own nature, he is actually in bondage to the vanity of human character born into him by God.

now speaking of the spiritual process, an unsaved man is by nature carnal and selfish. therefore, unless there is divine intervention and a "gift of faith," he will never, by any means, correctly see the truth of God. also, to those who supress truth, as pharaoh, their life also is ordained by the Creator, but their end is not as glorious as those who are given "the gift."

but by all means, to those who claim to be authors of their own salvation/goodness, more power to you. as for myself, i must acknowledge my lack of strength and my over abundance of selfishness. in other words, please, let's not argue, this is just my take. i have nothing to prove, only things to share.

daved

ps. i know this puts me in the crossfire for flames, but please be kind and remember, this is only my view. if it threatens you, argue about it to yourself. i have already spent 4 years fighting within myslef about this after finally accepting the truth of it. i know every arguement against it since i formerly despised it with all malice. if you have questions, ask away, otherwise, i will not reply to flames.

also, if i do not post a response to a valid question, please email me, as i do not frequent this board often.

daved

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Phl 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure.

daved

top topics

join