It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Bugout Place

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
READ THIS

Now read through this of a real chap in a SHTF secenario... Much food for thought.
A good read about the pit falls of bugging in, bugging out, BOL's and BOV's.

Was a real eye opener for me...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Has anyone thought of a oil drilling platform in the Gulf. I would think a lot of them would be abandoned when TSHTF. You would not have supply boats coming every month or so. Except for hurricanes that is the only natural thing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Birddog26
The property is 17k acraes and has a 1750 acrea lake and 7800 acreas of cleared space for growing hay and raising cattle, It is located in the rolling hills country in Central Texas and is a good hour drive from a big city and 3 hours from a major city.

I might know the general vicinity. Do you have the GPS coordinates on it?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm calling out the OP for leaving out the truly critical information about his bugout place. And I know he's thinking about it, because it's October. But he won't say a word, and the city slickers are either too polite or too ignorant to just come out an ask. So I will.

How are the deer?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Birddog26

Awesome, you're very lucky and fortunate you were left a legacy so-to-speak. Sounds like a good set up.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Birddog26
reply to post by maya12232012

Huh? Do not undertand what you are saying.
This is my second line, and again, Huh? What are you saying.

Just for the record, the second line rule is not what you think. It does not mean you must have at least two lines.

You can have just one line... As long as your one line is on topic. That is what it means.

To post on topic and to try and not have minimal posts.

Yours was fine. As long as your post is on topic it does not have to be two lines.... I swear they need to change the name of this rule. No one ever gets it.

You don't have to write " second line" or any such thing... Because it actually does not help.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I heard that as soon as TSHTF the Mexicans are gonna take Texas back. They will come streaming over the border like ants. Millions of em.

Thats what it said in One Second After. The book about an EMP attack.

You might be like Davy Crockett

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Hilarious. They'll run out of Mexicans !

There are only 112 million Mexicans. There are 310 million Americans.

Hell, there's 24 million Texans. And we are allowed to own pistols bigger than 40 caliber, as well as modern rifles.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thats a mighty big ranch. How's the taxes? You probably need an oil well just to pay the taxes on a ranch that big.

Thats like something out of a John Wayne movie. At least you don't have to go far to get the cattle to water, you have your own lake! Probably can see it from space its so big. Full of fish?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
OP I have a very similar setup and I will be posting pictures as I build on a thread when I decide my place. I have soo many choices on my land cause it is the highest point for 7 mile view of the entire area, then it drops down into a thick lush untouched (on purpose) woods that nothing can get into because the back is borded by swamp and thick 2 inch diameter sticker vines that has over taken the maple trees like tangled barbwire. My top land is clay and filled with hard cedar and blanked with trees like a privacy fence for 10 acres, then I have 30 behind me than slowly goes downhill into a weeping willow thicket that is so dark it's almost like a home itself, and the bottom is natural spring, my pond never goes dry and water is there for the taking and clean, you can install basic pumps with a 5 watt solar system and you have water.

It is really not that much of an inconvience to live off grid completely, I'm not completely, but I am some.

If a person is not lazy you do not have to rely on anything but internet for entertainment. Glad I am getting ahead on this type of stuff while I'm young. I wouldn't over do it, if you over do it I always say over due it on versatility.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
Thats a mighty big ranch. How's the taxes? You probably need an oil well just to pay the taxes on a ranch that big.

Thats like something out of a John Wayne movie. At least you don't have to go far to get the cattle to water, you have your own lake! Probably can see it from space its so big. Full of fish?

Fairly typical for Hill Country of Texas. Rember, it takes sometimes 10 acres to support one steer in brush. Maybe more. This year more like 50.

I'm not a lawyer.

While Texas derives most of its income from oil/gas tax, property tax, and sales tax (Texas has NO state income tax), my experience is that property taxes here are a lot lower than the Eastern US. With ag land, the tax payer can elect to have it valued based on its average productivity over the past (usually 7) years. Or, there is a much lower "open space" ag tax system that is far lower. It also varies widely in TX because your property tax bill is usually 1/2 to the state and the rest to school district, hospital district, and other taxing entities. The cities can be quite expensive, but rural areas frequently have fewer taxing entities, at lower rates because the entities provide less service.

Generally the worse the land, the larger the ranch. There are over a hundred ranches in Texas that cover more than 50 square miles each (+30,000 acres)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Birddog26

Wow! It sounds like a horseman's paradise. Watch out for snakes. Open a vacation ranch for horse
vacationers. No one wants to travel oversees through the terrible airports for vacations anymore... too much hassel.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join