It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT: Japanese tanker explodes near Strait of Hormuz

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
If this was a 'false-flag' the MSM would be crawling all over the story but they are not. Seems like pirates or an accident.

Edit - OH BOY you guess what guys? Sky news now breaking with the story.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by jonny2410]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Do they say Iran did this or is suspected of doing it? Do they say ``off the coast of Iran``?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Do they say Iran did this or is suspected of doing it? Do they say ``off the coast of Iran``?

Not yet anything about Iran. It reads on the breaking ticker -

Japanese Shipping company Mitsui says explosion has occurred on oil tanker in waters off Oman.

Edit - i imagine if it was not for the pakistan plane crash it would be a lead story.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

U.S. Navy Investigating Report of Persian Gulf Tanker Attack

The U.S. Navy said it was investigating reports of an attack against a Japanese tanker early Wednesday in the vicinity of the Strait of Hormuz, the strategic entryway to the oil-rich Persian Gulf.

A spokesman for the U.S. Fifth Fleet, based in Bahrain and responsible for American forces in the Gulf, said it was trying to get information from the Japanese ship about what happened. The spokesman said it would release more information when it received it.

The spokesman said that the U.S. was aware of preliminary reports that a Japanese tanker had reported an incident, but said the Navy didn't have any further information.

"Something was reported to have happened," the spokesman said.

Link

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The strait is secured by a collection of navy ships from the major world powers. It's a highly strategic passage. Pirates wouldn't dare getting close.
It stinks.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Oh boy, now the US Navy is getting in the situation... why not the Oman/UAE/Iran/Japan governments?

WHY THE FREAKING US NAVY?

Do they consider the strait of hormutz US property or what?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Oh boy, now the US Navy is getting in the situation... why not the Oman/UAE/Iran/Japan governments?

WHY THE FREAKING US NAVY?

Do they consider the strait of hormutz US property or what?

As a side note if you to that link they mention Iran offcourse

True or not its very predictable.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
[edit on 28-7-2010 by 12voltz]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

True.

Isnt that whole area very closely watched? And if indeed it was an pirate attack, why on earth they shot the ship, dont they usually want something?

Looks like someone wants to stir # up there. Cant be iranians, why would they do something like this?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Japanese tanker damaged in explosion near Oman

From the link:

28 Jul 2010 08:47:09 GMT
Source: Reuters
(Refiles to clarify source in 6th paragraph is transport ministry)

* Explosion may have been due to outside attack

* One crew member injured

* VLCC carrying 270,000 tonnes of UAE crude

* Japan's Cosmo Oil was to receive crude (Adds details)

TOKYO, July 28 (Reuters) - An oil tanker owned and operated by Japan's Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd was damaged in an explosion on Wednesday near the strait of Hormuz, causing a minor injury to one crew member, the company said.

The ship, the "M. STAR", was loaded with 270,204 tonnes or around 2 million barrels of crude when the incident occurred in waters off Oman, Mitsui O.S.K. said.

It said the explosion may have been caused by an outside attack. The ship had been bound for Chiba port near Tokyo.

The explosion occurred at around 00:30 a.m. local time on Wednesday (2030 GMT Tuesday), Mitsui said.

There was no leakage of oil from the tanker, a Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC) with 16 Filipino and 15 Indian crew members on board. It was sailing under its own power towards Fujairah port in the United Arab Emirates to check the damage, a company spokeswoman said.

The location of the explosion at the rear starboard side of the ship suggested the blast was unlikely to have been caused by oil on the tanker, Mitsui O.S.K. was quoted as saying by the Transport Ministry in Tokyo.

"In addition, a crew member saw light on the horizon just before the explosion, so (Mitsui O.S.K.) believes there is a possibility it was caused by an outside attack," the ministry statement said. (Reporting by Yoko Nishikawa, Osamu Tsukimori and James Topham; Editing by Michael Watson)

Link

A summary of the most important information raised in the article.

* The owners of the Tanker, Mitsui O.S.K. say the explosion may have been caused by an outside attack, going on to say the location of the explosion was at the rear starboard side of the ship suggesting the blast was unlikely to have been caused by oil on the tanker.

* A crew member reportedly saw light on the horizon just before the explosion, leading to Mistui O.S.K. to believe it was an outside attack.

This could be the false flag, or it could be a incident designed to further harm Iran's reputation in build up to war, designed to harm relations with Japan I agree.

So soon after that 'North Korean' torpedo sunk that South Korean ship, leading to those US-South Korea war exercises!

If it was Iran's fault, I would put forth the theory it may been a mine, perhaps left over from the Iran-Iraq War or one which has been planted by Iran in preparation for a sea-borne defence from attack and which has been planted too close to the shipping lane.

Iranian torpedo? Not unless the Tanker came into Iranian waters unexpectedly and did not heed warnings to turn around, and there was no reports of that.

I just can't see Iran sinking this tanker. It harms their interests to appear to be doing this, unless it's a warning shot to those who would attack them: Attack us, and there will be more of this, and we'll target your oil, and those who support you.

Hormuz Strait operates normally after tanker blast-source

From the link:

Hormuz Strait operates normally after tanker blast-source

28 Jul 2010 08:55:24 GMT

Source: Reuters

SINGAPORE, July 28 (Reuters) - The Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint for about 40 percent of the world's traded oil, remains open after the explosion which damaged a Japanese supertanker, a port source in the region said on Wednesday.

"Hormuz Strait is OK. It is operating normally," the source who is familiar with shipping operations told Reuters via telephone.

The tanker owned and operated by Japan's Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd was damaged in the explosion on Wednesday near the strait, causing a minor injury to one crew member, the company said.

The ship, the "M. STAR", was loaded with 270,204 tonnes or around 2 million barrels of Qatar Land and Lower Zakum crude.

Link

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
The explosion was on tuesday 20.30 GMT so approx. 16 hours ago.

Are there reported Al Qaeda cells in Oman ? I don't think there are. An attack from Yemen ? It seems a bit too far from the course of the tanker. I have no idea what we will be told. It has potential to be huge news though.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manouche
The explosion was on tuesday 20.30 GMT so approx. 16 hours ago.

Are there reported Al Qaeda cells in Oman ? I don't think there are. An attack from Yemen ? It seems a bit too far from the course of the tanker. I have no idea what we will be told. It has potential to be huge news though.
hormuz

Edit - you are right. I am surprised it was only reported this morning.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
if it happened 16hrs ago, they already know exactly what happened.

thats how you know they are spinning this to suit something..

.. why else would they say '' more information as it comes ''

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
We live in the Information Age, they say. During the Telegraph Age, news spread faster.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Strange that I haven't seen this on the tv news yet. And I've been up all night watching the news. The Pakistani Airbus crash broke almost immediatley earlier this AM. Why not this? Seems more important to me. Hmmm... what does it mean?

If it weren't for ATS, I would have gone to bed having no idea... like a changeover in a film.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Seriously?

Japan tanker hit by quake, no sign of attack-Oman

MUSCAT July 28 (Reuters) - An oil tanker owned and operated by Japan's Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd (9104.T: Quote) was damaged in a "tremor" and there was no evidence of an attack, the Omani coastguard said on Wednesday, while Iran reported an earthquake to its south

Link

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
ok,this has hit the msm here in Finland too...
and the same, outside attack is suspected... i`ve got a bad feeling about this....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

WTF?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Nothing reported on the USGS worldwide list yet.
Something's definately up.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 7/28/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
Seriously?

Japan tanker hit by quake, no sign of attack-Oman

MUSCAT July 28 (Reuters) - An oil tanker owned and operated by Japan's Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd (9104.T: Quote) was damaged in a "tremor" and there was no evidence of an attack, the Omani coastguard said on Wednesday, while Iran reported an earthquake to its south

Link

tremor
why not swamp gas or chinese lantern

tahts one of the stupidiest things ive ever heard..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join