It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's just getting out of hand...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This country (US of A) has become a giant sham. We are a joke. One only needs to walk outdoors, to a shopping mall, amusement park, etc...any public gathering place, to find that the "Average American" has fallen well below average.

We, the people, have become one giant complacent, face stuffing, consumeristic, video-game playing, self-entitled, self-important, fat, lazy flock of sheep.

We buy what we're told (See Hybrid cars that cost 10k more, but get 1 mile per gallon more than standard fuel...while our "leaders" fly around on jets and drive in gas guzzling limousines and SUV's.) But Barry just got a Chevy Volt...that has a range of 100 miles and costs 40k+. That makes sense, so does the Yukon Hybrid. You know what else has a 100 mile range? My bicycle...and it cost $200.

We Love, love, love to stuff our face, watch TV and play video games (See McDonalds Triple Cheeseburger; because one or two wasn't enough, 2000+ calorie entrees, video game trends among adults, and the "Play 60" program for kids) Because I went to a water park this weekend and literally every other person was obese. Because of all the little kids I see that are just enormous, bouncing into a take out restaurant with their bouncing parents. We're the second fattest nation on the planet. At this rate, in 10-20 years nearly all of our population will be obese. Because every day I hear people talking about their computer or consule games like they're real life...and because 10-20 years ago that program would have been called "Relax 60", because you couldn't get myself or other kids inside to sit around and waste for 60 minutes. Ever see "Wall-E"? Think it was just a fun, futuristic animation? It's not. It's prophecy. That will be our future.

And face it, our teenagers need a $40k+ Mercedes, BMW or Lexus as their first driver, and they won't accept less. My wife told me a story about her clients' teenage daughter getting a used BMW as a birthday present...and being upset that it was used. This isn't an isolated incident in suburbia either. High school parking lots are full of auto's that I can't afford, and probably wouldn't even if I could. No...face it...you're a bad parent on many levels and catering to your little prince or princesses' every whim is just a manifestation of your shortcomings as a parent. They're only going to take it out to a party one night and wrap it around a jersey wall on the way home because you weren't more aware of what was going on. Invest in teaching your child responsibility...not luxury.

We're stupid and we don't care that we're stupid. When was the last time you really felt you got your money's worth from a purchase, felt a job was done right, or felt you got really great service somewhere. Probably doesn't happen that often. People manage to screw up even the simplest of jobs anymore. I work a job where my company charges 150-250 an hour, many times for things you could just as easily do yourself. Why? Because I'm an "expert"...just like the guy who cuts your grass is a lawn care "expert", or your dry cleaner is an apparel decontamination "expert". Honestly, I haven't met an expert of anything but incompetence recently. We're either too lazy, too dumb or don't speak enough English to put out any quality product or service. Do you remember when "Made in the USA" used to give you a feeling of pride and security? Where is that now? Americans buy foreign products and travel abroad. The only thing that we export is weaponry. Where are our priorities?

And yes, there are way too many people who don't speak English in this country, and that is a problem. A woman was pulled over outside of my house a few years ago. I knew her. She's Korean, and has lived in this country for at least 12 years as far as I know. I could hear the conversation between her and the cop from my window. It consisted of him giving direction and her not being able to follow it because she couldn't speak enough English. The cop let her go. 10+ years in this country and you can't speak conversational English? And she wasn't just trying to put one over...she really can't speak English! Again, this is not an isolated incident either. I live in a suburban metro area and this is rampant. People spend years in this country and do nothing to adopt the culture (what little we have left) or learn the language...then expect special treatment (interpreter) when they need something. Every ATM I go to...any automated service line I call has options for Spanish and English. Many times Spanish is the first option. For the PC, this may sound racist, but think about it...Would you make another country your home and make no effort to fit in...make no effort to learn communication skills that will help you and others around you? It seems like only common sense to do so.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. I could fill an entire thread with the things I read every day that just make me want to scream "What the %^&*???"

We're a product of our environment. There is no more "lead by example", only "do as I say, not as I do". The people that "run" this country are completely out of control, and most of us stand idly by while the place we live is run into the ground and made even more of a laughing stock. Our economic and housing markets are in the toilet. Unemployment rates are at all time highs. Consumer confidence and faith/trust in our government are at all times lows. We have a massive oil leak just off (on) our coastline. We're engaged in wars on two fronts. Those who wish to do us harm are silently making moves to bring about our downfall.
What does our Dear Leader do? He goes on a bunch of vacations, throws a bunch of parties at his big 'ol house, plays a bunch of golf and just overall seems to be more concerned with being a rock star/celebrity and patting himself on the back for things he thinks he's accomplished than working to pull us out of this mess. Granted, it's a huge job...but everything he and his administration has done to this point seem to hurt more than help...

For instance -

Oh, Al Qaeda...

A $10m toilet seat, some $1,000 Pencils...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
So what do we do? I agree 100% BTW

The internet has become a device for stating the obvious.

How do we take back control? Stop participating.

Don't vote. Don't buy new. But used or existing. For example, America sucked up the iPhone 4 after dozens of Chinese killed themselves (FoxConn) due to the demand pressures to amass inventory for launch.

Stop the consumer bandwagon, end demand, shop local and kill the product monopolies with agriculture for example.

America is no different that commercial farming. We are kept fat, stupid and happy. We are milked daily and eventually led to the slaughter for profits.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
There are a lot of things wrong, that is for sure.

Decadence. The USA is the story of the Roman Empire on fast-forward.

Media has corrupted people in so many ways. Greed for material goods and status, the decay of traditional communities...like you, I could go on and on.

Right now a lot of people are getting a rude awakening from this protracted "economic slump" which is, in my opinion, not a cyclical slump but the beginnings of a true paradigm change...to a harder, meaner, leaner world where things are going to get a lot uglier for most people.

It is little consoloation, but the decadence phase of the collapse won't last long for most people becasue the entire middle class (what is left of it) is teetering on the verge of extinction. What will follow will be far uglier. Hold on tight and good luck. Perhaps when the dust settles, a saner society will emerge. History doesn't hold out much cause for optimisim in the medium-term (i.e., the rest of most of our lives). So strap in, hold on, and pray if you are a praying person.

"Our planet is facing the greatest problems it's ever faced, ever. So whatever you do, don't be bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive. And things are just starting."
-Waking Life

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'm just gonna rent...

I need my face time with the people...

And those are just some of Today's headlines, minus the few links on the economy that weren't available.

These are not signs of a recovering economy. They're not signs of a country that's again on the rise. We're not even holding steady. From the top of the government all the way down the "little people", you and I, we're failing our countrymen, ourselves and our children, who will inherit the ruins of this mess.

We're circling the drain.

I urge everyone to stand up, get out and let your voice be heard, whether it be through speech or action. We need to start at home, with ourselves. Making one better makes us all better. Stop the complacency. Stop the lies. Stop swallowing every bit you're fed and pave your own way. Think. Question. Challenge. There is much more to be had out there than what we're offered.
I don't think we'll see the heyday as a people again for quite some time, but the madness has to stop.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I enjoyed your rant right up to part where you started the racist crap and then i realised that you are part of the problems that you speak of.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I enjoyed your rant right up to part where you started the racist crap and then i realised that you are part of the problems that you speak of.

I don't see anything racist in the OP, just a complaint about language. This is not the most important issue out there in my opinion, but at the same time its not what I would consider "racist."

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Ok maybe i jumped the gun a little but as the Op said, to the PC it may sound a little racist.What does PC mean in this context?otherwise like i said it was a good snapshot of the U.S,reminded me of that movie "falling Down"

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I enjoyed your post until I looked at the words to the right of your pretty tropical photo...

Racist? Do I again need to ask if you would inhabit another country refusing to learn that country's culture or language, thus further consuming that society's dwindling resources?

YOU are part of the problem because you've been conditioned to feel that anyone criticizing a non-caucasian race is being "Racist".

Way to fall in line!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
OP there are actually a lot of Americans that don't fit that description

but they are to busy doing things ,to stuff their faces or play video games

sometimes when I think all is lost I go on youtube and search something I like , like of grid power ,or gardening for sustenance in the city

or art or computer programing or leather crafting or something like that
and I get all kinds of Americans thinking outside the box and getting things done

the mass propaganda machine likes to make it look like that's all we are
but the TPTB obviously believes their own lies ,are they in for shock

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DOcean

Look up, maybe you can explain

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I don't think I really need to say much. You've already exemplified my "PC" comment.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I do agree with the post. One big macaroni bowl is what this country should be called. Thats quoting george carlin. Things have gotten outta hand, especially on the lame cable channels. Thiers a channel is aw a few times, 16 or 18 and pregnant!!! Only in america, would something like this be exploited* They advertise it like it something to promote!!!! Thiers one on mtv, where it showed people like gene simmons, ozzy osbourne, and the lead dude from skid row..their homes, thier family. Its kinda like watching robbin leech back in the day...showing you things you will never have and will never afford*

I always try to buy american. IF i see made in china in the box..is impy put it back. Buying american made is almost obsolete, but made in canada, ( proctor and gamble swifffer dusters), Paksitan or central america ( fruit of the loom under shirts/underwear), is as close as it gets. Ive learned anything made in china, is probably toxic. Hell, i sa a bag of jelly beans at my local 24 hour CITGO station, made in mexico* effing mexico! jelly beans for christ sakes!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Its past time, like when i was akid, made in america* toys, food, furniture. made to last and kept the flow of money and credit here at home, supporting other american familys
ever since about 2000, when bush junior took office, thats when this whole made in china crap started.
It is past time to re claim this country and keep itmade in good 'ol america made* proven to be non toxic. yeah may cost a tad bit more, but again, helping and supporting the patriotic american way of life, than letting it become a sh*thole 3rd world country is what it should be all about, so the bankers who are profiting off this shinanigan import/export crap, wont recieve a dime more for what things are really worth in the light of things

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

So you go on YouTube...to find hope.

And I am painting in broad strokes.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DOcean

How long have you been on for the ride before deciding that it's just getting out of hand?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I was reading through slate online, one poster had the audacity to say that scientist are guessing in everything they do, example he/she listed was that gravity holds everything together, but for some reason the moon is moving away at one inch per year..... it was flagged or starred or whatever they do out the kazoo...

A simple google search could of explained it for him, yet he boasted proving that all science is a guessing game..... and had a small following of like minded individuals.

This is one case, and if I had not heard it and seen the look in said persons eyes when she revealed her suicidal plans for Dec, 20, 2012 to avoid the suffering, my contemptuous feelings for people wouldn't be near as strong.

In any case, The average American is a trip to watch.

It's just sad, I went for some examples on line, and I'm just not wanting to repost this stuff especially in my post.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
it starts small and it grows make a co op with your crafty and or inventive neighbors

form a society where you meet once a month and discuss your projects and form a business plan together

see what happens, I have marketable survival skills.

and I pimp these ideas all the time . lots of people do the things I just talked about

there is huge urban Independence movement in Seattle where I moved from ,a year before I left the City rescinded an ordinance against small livestock in City limits because so many people were hiding sheep and goats in their backyards they couldn't fight the people or enforce it!!!!!

and it was all done without protests and without lawsuits without angry town meetings . The people just did it anyway and the City caved because they couldn't fight it it was so widespread

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I totally agree with everything in the original post...

We are literally being led to the slaughter... We were born into bondage (mind you, I was born in 1979), but since I was a child I can remember how different things were. McDonalds was a "treat", and only came once a month IF I WAS LUCKY... Now it seems it's touted as a daily meal... I can go on and on, but I won't.

I guess the question raised would be: How do we stop this cycle of American stupidity? My grandfather, who fought in the Korean war, told me the other day that he used to be proud of the USA, and what it stood for. But not anymore. He said this with a heavy heart and a sad look on his face. It's as if America is a big toilet and we're riding the wave down the drain, into oblivion....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
A lot of people will say that posting on the Internet about all this is a waste of time, or even a pathetic response to all that's going down, but I would disagree. I think the Internet is enormously powerful in spreading information that TPTB would rather not have people see. It brings people together, and it shows them that they are not alone in their concern and frustration. If enough people read, think, wake up, than a critical mass can be reached and real change can be made. Even if you only show one or two other people that their impressions are correct, you can give them confidence and motivation.

That said, its not enough *merely* to post and rant. Stuff must be done. All kinds of stuff. I would say "start local" and work to change what you can around you. Look at every day as an opportunity to work for the kind of world you want, in your own humble way -- with your family, around your neighborhood, whatever. And then you can get online and broadcast and debate and hash it out on a global scale. Its great stuff.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
im finding, real, decent people is difficult to find these days. New Zealand is one of the last places I beleive in the world that pure people reside.

America? im sure a good percentage of you are brilliant and beautiful people.. but cowards none the less.. or just to happy in your consumeristic, credit spending fast food eating lives.. Fark it, pop another pill for that 'syndrome' the drug companies told you exist.. you'll feel right tomorrow.

I mean, why would you let these people rule you, and at the same time present themselves to the world as your 'elected' leaders?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join