It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does science know about ghosts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
What does science know about ghosts? I know that attempts by scientists to study ghost phenomenon have occured in the past. What, if anything, did they discover? I can only remember reading about temperature changes and electromagnetic disturbances (which explains why objects can move -- via static electrical discharges -- and why it's hard to photograph or videotape a ghost in action). I'm very interested in learning more about what science knows, theorizes, and doesn't know about the ghost phenomenon on Earth.
Also, knowledge from a purely observational viewpoint (such as: Do ghosts always come out at night? Are they always the spirits of dead people? etc.) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

When scientists debunk ghosts their first statement is usually, �there is no scientific proof of the existence of ghosts.� This is wrong. There is scientific proof. Science even has theories that explain something must be happening beyond what we know and what we can see.

www.zerotime.com...

enjoy
by enjoy I mean click the website for an indepth analysis for the scientific proof that ghosts exist..

[edit on 17-6-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
ghosts have not been caught on camera in a "human form" as far as i know. but unusual/ wierd/unexplained things have been caught, i.e orbs.

science can prove more in ghosts than it can in god.

and that is a fact

discuss that...

[edit on 17/6/2004 by shauny]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
but then how can there be ghosts without god?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I believe in gods, but I would also entertain the idea that if there was no god then ghost could still exist, on another plane or parallel of what we call real.

I once asked an electrician what happens to an electrical charge when its power source is cut off. He said it just dies, disappears, ceases to exist. For me the idea that all that we have seen, learned and felt, just vanishes from existence does not make sense. Did anyone follow up on Edison�s machine?

[edit on 17-6-2004 by kode]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
THEORY # 1: Infrasound and it's effects on the Human Body
It has been suggested that low frequency sound waves known as infrasound can create cold chills, a sense of paranoia and distress, and even hallucinatory figures glimpsed in peripheral vision. Infrasound tests conducted by NASA have shown that the human eyeball has a resonant frequency of 18 cycles a second, and will vibrate in sympathy with infrasound waves that have a similar frequency. Under such conditions, a person might experience a �smearing of vision� that could resultin evanescent hallucinations in the periphery of their visual field. This effect is reminiscent of the theories of neurologist Michael Persinger (see more below), who has suggested that electromagnetic waves can interfere with brain activity and lead people to think they see ghosts or aliens.
Putting the theory to the test

The VGHRS Audio/EVP expert Jim Hale has devised an instrument to measure infrasound. The instrument uses a commercial seismograph transducer that converts low frequency vibrations into an electrical signal. This electrical signal is amplified and fed into an oscilloscope which provides a visual display of the waveform thus revealing its frequency and relative amplitude. The VGHRS has used this infrasound instrument in an investigation of the Byrd Theatre in Richmond, VA. During the course of the investigation, Jim Hale experienced several �kicks� to the back of his seat in the theatre when no one was around. Notably, infrasonic waves were registered on the oscilloscope for each �kick��perhaps indicating that infrasound may be responsible for more than just hallucinations and �creepy� sensations. The VGHRS will continue to test for infrasound at future investigations as possible to collect more data.

Full page including what's above.
www.virginiaghosts.com...

Home page of Virginia Ghosts & Haunting Research
www.virginiaghosts.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What about the ghost caught on cctv in england?....ok maybe , maybe not..

and limbo could be the realm, plane ghost/spirits dwell in....one day we'll ALL know for sure.....

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I always thought of it in terms of vibrations of energy.

I read somewhere that an easy way to understand ghosts and spirits is to picture a fan, now knock that fan onto its first setting. Its blades spin but at a speed where we can see them, this is our vibration. Knock the fan up a setting, now the fan is still visible as it spins but not as clearly as before, this is the ghosts vibration. Now knock the fan onto its highest vibration, you can no longer see the fan spinning but you know it is there. This is where spirits/angels/god all exist.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Are they always the spirits of dead people?

Apparitions of living people who are in fact very far away is called bilocation. Some of the most famous events of bilocation involve Padre Pio, who allegedly appeared to a friend who was contemplating suicide and told him "Don't be stupid" then vanished.

The relationship between ghosts and God can be seen in many ways. Some say that ghosts are individuals who have not gotten over the means of their death or feel they died before their mission was complete are unable or unwilling to go into the light.

Another popular theory is that in the same way sound waves can keep orbiting our planet, specific, emotionally charged events can imprint a "memory" on the place where they happened - something like an echo of the energy discharged by the intensity of emotion or such.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ghosts are your neurosis left behind when you die.

They are left on earth when you are taken... to where ever it is you go.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This thread caused me to go read a bit more on ghosts and how they manifest themselves.

An interesting theory I read is based on Lavoisier and Einstein's theory that nothing is created and nothing is lost - the initial postulate was made by Lavoisier and refined by Einstein, who added that energy is merely converted into something else, not destroyed.

The human being is animated by two processes: one chemical, one electromagnetic. When the body dies, the chemical processes break down and we become fertilizer. But what of the electromagnetic processes? What becomes of them?

Thomas Edison thought he could build a telephone to reach dead people (unfortunately he himself died before he could complete the process). The idea itself may not be as far-flung or harebrained as appears at first glance - read this about telephone calls from dead people to their loved ones...

www.themystica.com...

If nothing, it makes for a riveting read...

[edit on 19-6-2004 by Otts]

top topics

join