It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack Hanna Pepper Sprays Grizzly Cub In Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Celebrity zookeeper Jack Hanna tells hikers to carry pepper spray, and he has seen for himself how useful that advice is during a run-in with three grizzly bears.

Good idea to keep pepper spray with you when hiking or camping in the woods..

The Columbus Zoo & Aquarium director emeritus and frequent David Letterman guest says he was with his wife and other hikers in Montana's Glacier National Park on Saturday when they saw the mother bear and two large cubs coming toward them. Hanna and the others moved slowly back up the trail to a clearing and stood still while the mother and one cub passed by. Hanna says the other cub, weighing about 125 pounds, charged toward the hikers. He pulled out pepper spray got the bear in the face, causing it to flee. Hanna recently filmed a message for the national parks encouraging people to carry pepper spray when hiking.

spray the bear

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link
Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Jul 27 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It's a good idea, of course it's required (I think) for backcountry hikers in Glacier.

Had the same thing happen to me. First a run-in with a Black bear who was just mosying down the trail, we had to step off and let the big guy pass. Then a run-in with a mama Grizzly and her 3 cubs. She had her back to us, digging in the middle of the trail. Never saw us, but her cubs did. We had to back around the bend and start talking loudly, think we even sang a song. They were gone by the time we ventured back. All of this, same day, same trail and only a day hike from Many Glacier Lodge. Of course, we didn't run into anything but deer on the backcountry trip. Go figure...

Never wise to forget where you are when you're in bear country. Be prepared.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

you got that right LS..

i had one chase me about 15 years ago(was a cub)..scared the crap outa me..really..

wish i had thought of pepper spray back then..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Who cares that it is a cub. It was not a tiny kitten like cub.

It was a 125 lbs man eating rip your face off claws of death kinda cub.

The pepper spray was only good for the cub. I bet if the moma bear would have lit after Jack he would have pulled out his loaded 45 with the safety already off and blasted that witch into next week.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
we have a little poster posted around our town with bear advice, goes something like this (not exactly but close to it)

"Identifying bear scat (poop) is a good way to tell what sort of bear you may encounter soon.

Cubs scat is small and full of berries, easy to identify with a quick glance.

Adult bear scat smells strongly of pepper and is full of bells"

I always carry a .44 while walking through the woods, or really anywhere not in the heart of town, but i do live in an area with way more bears then people.

now before anyone jumps on me for going out to shoot bears for the sheer joy of it, let me point out that I have never had to shoot a bear, Usually when they see you they turn tail, but if they dont, and start coming towards you, fire a shot a few feet over they're head, they usually bolt, but in the rare instance they dont, the next couple of rounds go into there head/chest.

Many people are mauled by bears up here, its no joke. you gotta be prepared when you walk around in thick bear country.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I don't need no stinking pepper spray for a bear.
I challenge any bears here on ATS to a challenge.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
That was a pretty cool move. Thank "God" he was smart enough to thwart an attack.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sorry, double post.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by brilab45]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
[edit on 28-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Good luck to those of you that can handle a bear. Wish I were that strong.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
How about not hiking (or invading) their habitat in the first place?
Perhaps find another place?
Best solution is to avoid the incident before it happens.

This is yet another act of humanity encroaching on nature.

If you want to swim in shark infested waters then you take the risk of injury or loss of life. Same here.

Just ignorant.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by remrem

Just ignorant.

Have any idea what constitutes bear territory and/or where it is?
I'm just curious...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by remrem

I completely agree with you - they deserve a place to be undisturbed by humans.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well the way I heard it

#1 Threat to America: BEARS.

Seriously though, unless he was cruelly spraying the bear in the face for no discernable reason, this is a non-issue

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by remrem
Just ignorant.

haha i love when people use the word "ignorant" to try and sound smug.

where i live, there is no such thing as "bear country" its allllllllll bear country.

but i guess its my fault for being born here, god that was a dumb mistake i made.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I lived in a old gold mining town in the sierras and have used pepper spray on bears many times.

Due to the fact that animal control was a least 45 minutes away when we had bears coming into town the local vol fire department handled bear problems.

Don't use these little self defence cans of pepper spray on bears, you have to get to close.

Other things that work on bears are a 2 inch fire hose with 250 psi pressure.
Just wash the bear down the street.

A shotgun loaded with rubber bullets and bird scare rounds,

Those bear type pepper spray cans are even better on people.
you can not miss. I used my can of bear spray on a young Hispanic auto burglar one time.
The cops found him down the street in some ladies yard using her garden hose to try to out the fire on his body.(he was wearing shorts and tank top)
The cops had to take him to the station with the windows of there patrol car down because the pepper spray fumes were so bad.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

By ignorant I am referring to the human perspective.

ie. I go into the woods and if an animal get too close I will spray it, or shoot it. This is a very "ignorant" point of view - in my view.

If someone loves to hike, and that implies inherent risk as with bears, then if there are no options to safeguard yourself and the bear, then I would not go ahead.

No you are not ignorant for being born there.

Sharing my point of view is just that, sharing. "Smug" is your perception of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I am not in the US so no, I don't know specifically the location.

As far what I meant by ignorant, see above post.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
you guys be nice and stay on topic.

this is about pepper spray and bears and YOU saving your own life by using this sound advice..

thank you.. and Alaskanman is right..all bear country up there..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by remrem

now my perception is that you live in a big city and have never enjoyed the wonders of the woods.

i dont see how its ignorant to go on a hike where animals are, most people enjoy seeing animals, and bears fall into that category, usually a bear isn't going to do anything but look at you and walk away and its a fun experience seeing them.

using pepper spray or a gun to shew them away when they deiced to approach closer is really humane in my opinion. Shooting a bear out of self defense in a life or death situation warrants the action, sad as it may be to kill one of natures wonders.

i feel that if you lived in an area that had bears you would understand that more, and not view people enjoying the wilderness as ignorant.

we came from the wilderness, its natural for us to enjoy it.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by Alaskan Man]

top topics

join