It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven People Have Been Entrusted With The Keys To The Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
gizmodo.com...

These smart cards are the actual keys to the Internet. There are seven of them and they hold the power to restarting the world wide web "in the event of a catastrophic event."

The basic idea is that in the event of an Internet catastrophe, the DNSSEC (domain name system security) could be damaged or compromised and we'd be left without a way to verify if a URL is pointing to the correct website. That's when the holders of these smart cards would be called into action:

A minimum of five of the seven keyholders – one each from Britain, the U.S., Burkina Faso, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, China, and the Czech Republic – would have to converge at a U.S. base with their keys to restart the system and connect everything once again.

Hmmm, this has the makings of a good movie.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Key holders

www.geekosystem.com...

Seven sages across the land hold the Medallions which can rebuild the world … and no, we’re not referring to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Surprisingly, we’re talking about real life: The BBC reports that Paul Kane, CEO of UK-based domain name sever company CommunityDNS, has been named one of the keepers of the seven magical keys (and by “magical keys,” we mean “non-magical keycards”) scattered around the world that, when used together, can reboot the entire World Wide Web.

Mr. Kane will be the key holder of Western Europe. Moria and Rivendell, we suspect, will also have their respective key bearers.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Burkina Faso? They couldn't have picked a civilized african country like Ghana or Botswana? They had to pick the arguably poorest country on the continent?
Colour me skeptical for that reason alone.

[edit on 27/7/2010 by christianpatrick]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by christianpatrick
Burkina Faso? They couldn't have picked a civilized african country like Ghana or Botswana? They had to pick the arguably poorest country on the continent?
Colour me skeptical for that reason alone.

[edit on 27/7/2010 by christianpatrick]

It's the base operations behind the guy who created the Nigerian prince spam email.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

7 cards to "Restart" the web,
1 card to find them.
1 card to rule them all,
And in the darkness bind them.

So, who is Sauron in this bad remake?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What a complete load of ##.

Not a lot more to say really. The net can run perfectly well without the Alpha server. The problem only arises for new web sites.

And incidentally with the new IP addressing system it is even less of a problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wow a conspiracy theory based on Lord of the Rings?

reply to post by g146541

Hahaha...didn't even see this...exactly!

[edit on 7/27/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
What a complete load of ##.

Not a lot more to say really. The net can run perfectly well without the Alpha server. The problem only arises for new web sites.

And incidentally with the new IP addressing system it is even less of a problem.

I was figuring that this just a bunch of statists patting themselves on the back and talking about how secure government makes us. But I was wondering about that.

So this isn't really something that will shut down the "entire" Internet, but it only affects anything using this DNSSEC? Or does really have nothing to do with this?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Wonder how much one of those would go for on eBay?

What are the odds some banksters or other similar types embark on a global scavanger hunt to round them all up?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

lol

I was wondering how long til a few of those keys go through the laundry and get ruined.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
man this movie sounds awesome whens it comin.. oh..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

A minimum of five of the seven keyholders – one each from Britain, the U.S., Burkina Faso, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, China, and the Czech Republic – would have to converge at a U.S. base with their keys to restart the system and connect everything once again.

I really really hope the Canadian is William Shatner or at least Alex Trebeck

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

...Britain, the U.S., Burkina Faso, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, China, and the Czech Republic...

I'm guessing that, among others, India and Russia are not too thrilled about this list.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So we know who 2 of these Key holders are...

From the U.S - Dan Kaminsky
en.wikipedia.org...

And the U.K - Paul Kane
icannwiki.org...

Wonder who the other 5 are? And why is it only the U.K and U.S ones who have been named?

It says it needs a minimum of 5 to work. I guess they envisioned problems with those from Burkino Faso and Trinidad/Tobago making it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!

It says it needs a minimum of 5 to work.

All I can think of, besides "Lord of the Rings", is the movie "The Fifth Element" !!!

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Stormdancer777

7 cards to "Restart" the web,
1 card to find them.
1 card to rule them all,
And in the darkness bind them.

So, who is Sauron in this bad remake?

WOW

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

If there is a catastrophe how do they grantee the key holders survive.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Good one!

I tried searching for a movie called 5 Keys of the Apocolypse but no luck.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Six other people from across the globe have also been asked to look after a key.

In the event of a security breach - such as a terrorist attack - Mr Kane may be required to travel to a secure location in the US.

Here he will meet five other key holders, to recover the master signing key.

From this month, the internet will become more secure through a new international agreement and process which verifies web sites and helps protect email accounts from fraud, using high tech cryptographic keys.

DNSSEC (domain name system security) is a new online security system that ensures people reach a genuine website, rather than a look-alike pirate site.

It is estimated that up to 8% of internet traffic is fraudulent, and it is hoped that this agreement is a 'major advance' in increasing internet security.

www.cdns.net...

This video describes the process of generating the cryptographic keys used for signing the ROOT Zone which was filmed at the first DNSSEC Signing Ceremony which took place on the 16th June 2010 - ready for DNSSEC Signed Root on the 15th July 2010.

An infrastructure has been created for a hierarchical security system

applied to a number of other functions that require strong identification.

[edit on 113131p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join