It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon No One Will Be Classed as Normal According to Mental Health Experts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There are lots of disorders but people should only seek treatment when it interfears with there daily living. Too many people overreact and run to the doctor for the slightest little problems. If you go to the doctor complaining 9 times out of 10 they're gonna want to give you something for that problem.

I have paranoid schizophrenia. This illness is more then just psychological. People like to stereotype metnal illness as if everyone that has it is crazy. The mind is more complex then other organs like pancrease but yet the pancrease can develope a disorder that leads to diabetes. The mind is just as capable of developing disorders as other organs.

The DSM is no joke I've read parts of it and there are strict guidelines that doctors use in diagnosing illnesses. But like anything it can be abused by doctors that just want buisness.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by wantsome]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Arent all the people on this site crazy. I remember seeing someone posting something that people who believe in conspiricy theories are insane or something along those lines. Its pretty nuts, but hey big pharm does have that power. They just want us to take pills so we are docil when they take over. Bastards.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Soon they'll have to target themselves

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrakeDarc
Arent all the people on this site crazy. I remember seeing someone posting something that people who believe in conspiricy theories are insane or something along those lines. Its pretty nuts, but hey big pharm does have that power. They just want us to take pills so we are docil when they take over. Bastards.
As much as big pharma like to push they're medications not all doctors are pill pushers.

But yeah from one delusional person to another. I've seen my share of delusional people on this board. Even though I don't have delusions anymore I know it when I see it. Some poeple just have paranoid personalities.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

The "disorders" they are listing are only considered disorders when it hinders the persons life. For example, a person who binge eats to the point that it is pathologic or interferes with their regular life activities (sleeping, working).

Yeah like when the naughtiest child in the class, is being the naughtiest child in class!! Widening the number of illnesses means those most above-below the average are at serious drugs, marketing risk.

Many surgeries get sponsorship from the drugs companies whose products they subscribe to customers!! Certainly here, in the U.K where (to add insult to injury) the government pays for most of the evil drugs the GP then distributes.

Why echo the government narrative, when an increasing number of mental illnesses clearly has FAR more to do with marketing expensive, often organ damaging-weakening, drugs, than anything to do with either the number of illnesses or advancement of true medicine.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brothers
I suppose it can be said that the people that are trying to sell these drugs are also in need of some of their own medicine to keep them from cracking up about the new found medicine they are pushing. Next it will be out dogs and cats that will need pills to calm them down.

Prozac and Your DogDogs > Behavior > Prozac and Your Dog
Ads by GoogleAsk a Vet Online Now

Prozac for Aggression

Q: Dear Dr. Mike, I have bookmarked this website; your answers are very honest and informed.

I am writing to ask for information about giving Prozac to dogs. I have a 5 yr old male neutered mastiff who is sweet at home with family & friends but unreliable with strangers (dogs and humans). He cannot be walked on the street because he lunges at strangers unpredictably. Due to his huge size, even if I control him, a small lunge looks very threatening to people. Also he might knock over anyone who happened to be carrying or playing with a soccer ball or football (he is extremely ball possessive).

Professional trainers have diagnosed him as having fear or possessive aggression. Also they say he has the intense persistence of the type so valuable in drug seeking or bomb seeking dogs but not so valuable in a pet. I have put extensive effort since his puppyhood into professional training and socialization, and I have experience with obedience competition (in my other dogs). All to no avail. I also have tried different techniques for correction and control, dietary changes, and have had him checked out for physical problems. Crom does have some arthritis but has been made fairly comfortable with Bufferin, and this seems to make him less grouchy (but not more reliable). I am committed to keeping my dog into old age, but I'm concerned that he could be dangerous. Also it isn't fun for him never to go on walks.

I read about Prozac used on dogs in the AKC Gazette but there was no reference to the research studies (on using Prozac for aggression). I have have not been able to find references to these studies on the web. What do you know of this literature? The veterinarians I have consulted about Crom never suggested Prozac or other medication. I would like your opinion and reference to the studies so I can read them for myself. Can you help? Thanks very much!

I have a friend whos dog is on Prozac

Read more: Prozac and Your Dog

[edit on 28-7-2010 by crazydaisy]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I am just wondering if DSM is as advanced as they appear. Can anyone with a subscription login and read the scientific papers? How large are their databases, how are scientific results shared? I assume there's a lot of people working hard to catalogue the human psyche in such a way all humanity can benefit.
edit: Nevermind, I've checked some sites and it appears there's not much more than a digital version of DSM.

If not, then it appears the health industry has different motives and tries to make a buck out of people's illnesses and healthy people's taxes, or maybe it is simply the human ego again slowing down progression.

While I believe it's a good thing people are trying to come up with new solutions for today's problems and science will eventually perfect medication (which sadly implies current subjects are guinea pigs), I've chosen not to get involved and rather try and come up with my own answers to questions that eat me up inside sometimes.

I do fear less people are willing to take the hard road and there will be less and less people with a certain kind of wisdom in the future deteriorating society as a whole. This will have many effects like children not being able to learn how to cope with life's downsides, being used to quick fixes and instant gratification they will only choose drugs for their children lateron in life instead of dealing with issues by communicating because they've never learnt how to talk about it.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonfly79
While I believe it's a good thing people are trying to come up with new solutions for today's problems and science will eventually perfect medication (which sadly implies current subjects are guinea pigs), I've chosen not to get involved and rather try and come up with my own answers to questions that eat me up inside sometimes.

I do fear less people are willing to take the hard road and there will be less and less people with a certain kind of wisdom in the future deteriorating society as a whole. This will have many effects like children not being able to learn how to cope with life's downsides, being used to quick fixes and instant gratification they will only choose drugs for their children lateron in life instead of dealing with issues by communicating because they've never learnt how to talk about it.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by Dragonfly79]

I'm the same way, I think by learning and growing we can overcome most problems. I don't really trust scientists developing these drugs, and I don't trust the companies (unless I do my own research to understand the drugs). I would think any educated person would come to the same conclusion but who knows

That's probably another problem, people don't care enough about their body or mind to actually take the time to read about the drugs. I had a family member taking an anticholinergic drug for a bladder issue. Acetylcholine is the most common neurotransmitter in the body, used in the brain as well, and you think blocking it is a good idea?? Well a new study showed elderly experience cognitive decline at twice the rate as their peers while on this drug. But no one cares really. These people have zero problems with their nervous system, but the cure for a bladder issue is to address and effect the entire nervous system, including the brain?

That's true as well, people want easy, quick solutions. And since that population is growing, people who want to deal with problems in a different manner are almost "wrong" in doing so. And some people don't want to really talk and understand which leads to dead ends.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
When everyone is crazy. No one is.
let's hope that day comes and the world is full of happiness although in reality remains miserable.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join