It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon No One Will Be Classed as Normal According to Mental Health Experts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

An updated edition of a mental health bible for doctors may include diagnoses for “disorders” such as toddler tantrums and binge eating, experts say, and could mean that soon no-one will be classed as normal.

Leading mental health experts gave a briefing on Tuesday to warn that a new edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which is being revised now for publication in 2013, could devalue the seriousness of mental illness and label almost everyone as having some kind of disorder.

Citing examples of new additions like “mild anxiety depression,” “psychosis risk syndrome,” and “temper dysregulation disorder,” they said many people previously seen as perfectly healthy could in future be told they are ill.

“It’s leaking into normality. It is shrinking the pool of what is normal to a puddle,” said Til Wykes of the Institute of Psychiatry at Kings College London.

www.impactlab.com...-59495

So this is the direction we are going in? It really makes perfect sense with the trend of big pharma. If they can convince us we have a disorder even if a minor one I'm sure they would give it some complicated to pronounce name and have a remedy ready at any given moment.

I have known for a long time that nobody is "normal". As much as people try to project being normal we all have our quirks.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I was a pharmacy tech years ago. We had pharmacutical reps in all the time. It's a big money making racket. If you're not on some kind of medication, they'll find one for you. Or two. Or three. DSM as thick as a phone book, I'll tell you what.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It might do you some good to actually look at the document they are talking about. The current issue is DSM IV, with DSM V coming out soon. The "disorders" they are listing are only considered disorders when it hinders the persons life. For example, a person who binge eats to the point that it is pathologic or interferes with their regular life activities (sleeping, working).

No where in the DSM IV or V does it "devalue" mental illnesses. Rather current definitions are simply given more precise clinical descriptions.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
DSM as thick as a phone book, I'll tell you what.

So is a human anatomy atlas. Do you think all mental disorders should be able to fit into a pamphlet? That's a bit silly.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Disgusting. I won't pretend to know how legit all of this is, but I can definitely see it.

A quick story, and I apologize beforehand but I think personal experiences are what makes this so scary. There was a kid in elementary school who had problems behaving. Of course when his record tells the next teacher he gets that he is a problem child, or however they word it, the teacher is going to be extra-tough on him. Over the years, the kid was pretty normal and yeah, he would talk during class and maybe even chew some gum, but he would be punished to an extreme while other kids got what was fair.

No it wasn't me, but it was a kid in my elementary school. Maybe not that interesting, but by continuously labelling everyone from birth, that idea stays in teachers' heads so they will go into any situation thinking that kid is an extreme case. Note that I'm not saying all teachers are like this, but it is an easy trick to fall into.

Todder tantrum disorder? LMFAO. Gimme a darn break people. We need to get away from drugging ourselves, period. Completely absurd. Here's a quick fix - don't take your kids to the doctor for TANTRUMS. Deal with it at home....that is until you are FORCED to take your kids to the doctor for regular checkups because the government owns the schools and the hospitals...and the banks obviously.

It's breaking down! But my friends, I hope we all know that a corrupt government cannot excel because they don't take into consideration the wildcard. The wildcard is the people who will get fed up with it. I think we have the chance to vote out this kinda crap right now, but I'm still unsure of that.

Do you want your kid growing up drugged by whatever new medication big pharm is pushing on us? No thanks, I can deal with my kid pissing his diaper without the government giving him a pill because they deem it wrong.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Mental Health Experts predicting more mental health?

If this isn't self-promotion, then what is?

Never trust a study done by a group that benefits from the study.

Global Warming Scientists manipulating, distorting, and deleting data to achieve a desired effect is another great example.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

An anatomy atlas is an atlas of normal anatomy. The DSM is a manual for the diagnosis of abnormal mental conditions. And the list of disorders gets bigger and bigger every year. Convienient for the pharma industry. It's similar to the military industrial comlex, except it's the AMA/Pharma complex. MONEY MONEY MONEY.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Global Warming Scientists manipulating, distorting, and deleting data to achieve a desired effect is another great example.

And what do they have to gain from it? They don't make extra money based on whether their prediction are correct or not...most of the "global warming scientists" (which isn't actually a real group, it's usually climatologists, geologists, environmental scientists, etc) work for universities and are paid the same regardless of if their papers are accepted by the scientific community or not.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

An anatomy atlas is an atlas of normal anatomy. The DSM is a manual for the diagnosis of abnormal mental conditions. And the list of disorders gets bigger and bigger every year. Convienient for the pharma industry. It's similar to the military industrial comlex, except it's the AMA/Pharma complex. MONEY MONEY MONEY.

So, you don't think our list of treatments and disorders should grow as we begin to learn more about the brain and psyche, as well as develop better diagnostic technology?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The release of the final, approved DSM-5 is expected in May 2013.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

The release of the final, approved DSM-5 is expected in May 2013.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the actual date. A colleague of mine has an advance/preview copy as part of the review and critique process, so I figured it was to be released soon.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Like Kinsey's reports shaping the concensus as to what was "normal"!

www.drjudithreisman.com...

If you haven't read about this sicko,prepare to be totally disgusted!

(Can't say that's the best link/resource,but it's a start.)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

“temper dysregulation disorder,”

I love the name they put to this one - I know a few people with this disorder.

And I ask - are we not all abnormal in some way? Not that I think we need counseling or medicine for it - but almost everyone I have met has some kind of quirk - the shrinks just want to make more money off of it.

Now we can discuss what is normal?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
which isn't that the truth after all?

We are infact unique.... ish...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
What is obvious about this statement: "No one will be classed as normal"? The fact that there is no such thing as "normal" when it comes to the human condition. We are all unique individuals. What's not normal? Trying to put people inside well defined boxes.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
well many people call me nuts its nice to be from such a big family .
becides going by the topics posted on ATS I have to conclude the conspiracy
paranoia is a very real mental disorder and I see many people here who could use a little more of the stuff that makes you eat chips .
Of course then they would be diagnosed with a eating disorder lol

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
to paraphrase the great Charles Manson: " back in the day being crazy meant something, nowadays everybody's crazy"

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

So, you don't think our list of treatments and disorders should grow as we begin to learn more about the brain and psyche, as well as develop better diagnostic technology?

It is my opinion that:
Some disorders and pharmacological "treatments" are contrived/fabricated for the sole purpose of making a profit off the unsuspecting consumer or the uneducated mark. Doctors are given financial incentives by the pharmacutical industry to prescribe.
But that's just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
My last post was so passive/agressive that perhaps I should be diagnosed with said disorder and prescribed an appropriate medication to alleviate same.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
It might do you some good to actually look at the document they are talking about. The current issue is DSM IV, with DSM V coming out soon. The "disorders" they are listing are only considered disorders when it hinders the persons life. For example, a person who binge eats to the point that it is pathologic or interferes with their regular life activities (sleeping, working).

No where in the DSM IV or V does it "devalue" mental illnesses. Rather current definitions are simply given more precise clinical descriptions.

That's fine if you are on board with all of these classifications.

There is a big problem with the diagnoses of mental illness in this country and it is fueled by greed.

I suggest you take a look at this thread to see what lengths these experts will go to.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join