It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pipeline leak pollutes major Michigan river

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
www.theglobeandmail.com...

here is a good expalination of the situation

It seems 50 members of congress are recommending more epa scrutiny on the new pipe line, and there is talk of the co2 emmissions from the tar sands, so right there we know that this is about the green agenda, cap and trade, and carbon taxes...while I hear Al Gore has two new mansions on the coast like he's waiting for the water to rise from global warming...?

Something smells oily here.
Somebody wants to create peak oil...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

ARgg, I just left my thread stating I had to go for RL reasons, but I just HAD to comment Danbones! Right!

And if they have their way we will see little Chinese workers filling the Chinese factories making the components to the NEW GREEN technologies! And we will kiss our waterways goodby, and with them completely polluted we can watch as they place windmills on every body of oxygen depleted water on the continent.

There is something oily in the air!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
There is a huge difference between this spill and BP's out in the Gulf. This spill directly pollutes millions of peoples water supply. In michigan we tap the water table and many people use wells over city water. If it reaches the lake, we are screwed even more.

Odd, obama was in the area just a week ago touting batterys....hmmmm.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Not looking good for 30 to 50 homes of fellow Michiganders.

From CNN:

www.cnn.com...

Health officials urge evacuations near Michigan oil spill By the CNN Wire StaffJuly 29, 2010 4:25 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Officials in Michigan urged residents living near the Kalamazoo River oil spill to evacuate the area Thursday because of health concerns.

Between 30 and 50 homes are thought to be affected by the request, which was made by the Calhoun County Public Health Department....

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maximus0111

Why don't these people just get it, the real polution is not in the river it is the state that surrounds it.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maximus0111

Didn't one in California and one in Louisiana also break recently? I hope the US doesn't come like the Niger Delta soon (which BP had a hand in messing up by the way).

[edit on 29-7-2010 by MermaidWatcher]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MermaidWatcher

I hope the US doesn't come like the Niger Delta soon (which BP had a hand in messing up by the way).

A delta? Is that where they come from?

Edit to add:
That sounds really bad by they i mean BP

Edit to add:
It still looks bad, by BP i mean British petrolium, not Black People

[edit on 29-7-2010 by zaiger]

[edit on 29-7-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/560c212b5c3d.jpg[/atsimg]

Oil from the spill is clearly visible in the Kalamazoo River between the Ceresco Dam and Historic County Bridge Park Tuesday morning. (John Grap/The Enquirer)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0014a83b589.jpg[/atsimg]

Woody Haroff of Ceresco carries a swan that has already had an initial cleaning at Circle D Wildlife Refuge in Vicksburg on Tuesday afternoon. He and his wife Leigh rescued 12 animals from the Kalamazoo River near their home in Ceresco. (John Grap| Battle Creek Enquirer)

www.lansingstatejournal.com...

Battle Creek officials are expected to announce the evacuation of residents along the Kalamazoo River as a result of the oil spill.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca79dca9d9cc.jpg[/atsimg]

For more pictures of the tragic spill:

EPA estimates Michigan oil spill exceeds 1 million gallons

Federal officials now estimate that more than 1 million gallons of oil may have spilled into the Kalamazoo River through Battle Creek, and the governor is sharply criticizing clean-up efforts as “wholly inadequate.”

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency released the update Wednesday night, shortly after Gov. Jennifer Granholm lambasted attempts to contain the oil flowing down the riiver. She warned of a “tragedy of historic proportions” if the oil reaches Lake Michigan, which is still at least 80 miles downstream from where oil has been seen.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm somewhat familiar with Enbridge, as I live in the same province that they are headquartered in, and I once actually interviewed for a job there, and met a few of the employees. I expect from what I know of them that they will handle this oil spill in a far more responsible manner than BP handled theirs. Especially with all the negative press surrounding BP lately (which BP deserves for their horrible response to the crisis) I think Enbridge will treat this very seriously and do their best to fix the problem ASAP.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I can't believe how little press this is getting. It's not like poisoning 20% of the worlds freshwater is a small thing. There are no "anti-oil" microbes anywhere to be found in the great lakes. Thanks for poisoning a huge river system and possibly Lake Michigan.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I hope they get this stopped and cleaned up. Are they trying to get us all to hate oil. Has the pole shift begun and that is why all these pipes are breaking. I wish I knew what is going on.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

I can't agree with you more in regards to the lack of media reporting here. As a Michigander, I was shocked to see that Obama's visit here to Michigan was getting more media attention than the spil.

The lack of company and EPA response is disturbing, but after the whole BP thing, it is obvious that they are following the same playbook here.

However, I do not think this is going to reach Lake Michigan. There is a dam the oil has to get over (and yes, I have heard of reports that some oil might have somehow passed over the dam) and it has to get over it in a large enough quantity in order to impact the Lake, besides making it another 80 miles downstream.

But, no matter how you look at it, it is another example of corporate greed and federal impotency!

And I feel very sorry for my fellow Michiganders along the river. After everything this state has gone through, we sure do not need this.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

I agree that's a BIG problem for me, the lack of coverage on this spill. OIl spills anywhere else and it's a big story (as it should be) but it spills here and no gives gives a crap
This is a major threat to the Great Lakes, if that oil gets into Lake Michigan all the Great Lakes could be contaminated. Many of us get our drinking water from there.

The Great Lakes are the largest surface freshwater system on the Earth. They contain about 84 percent of North America's surface fresh water and about 21 percent of the world's supply. Only the polar ice caps contain more fresh water.

www.epa.gov...

Then there's the fact that when the river water starts receding that oil is going to seep into the ground and then ground water is going to become contaminated

"It's a hell of a lot of oil in a tiny, pristine ribbon of water," said Steve Hamilton, a Michigan State University biologist who studies the river. "Once the river recedes and the oil settles into the thick vegetation, it could end up being even more difficult to clean up than a Louisiana salt marsh."

Bolding mine.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

Why is this spill not getting more attention ?

Why is Enbridge lying about the amount of oil spilled?

The Environmental Protection Agency says it believes more than a million gallons of oil may have leaked this week into a major southern Michigan waterway that leads to Lake Michigan

www.freep.com...

Why is Enbridge lying about when the oil was spilled ? They say approximately 9:45 am Monday, yet residents say Sunday night and the fire department received calls about a natural gas smell Sunday night.

Why did Enbridge wait so long before reporting the spill ?

Federal officials said Wednesday that the timeline involved in the spill remains under investigation by several agencies.

online.wsj.com...

in Calhoun County an oil "spill was detected around 10:30 a.m. EDT Monday and confirmed around 11:30 a.m. Documents were released saying the incident was not reported to the National Response Center until about 1:30 p.m. There were calls to area fire departments late Sunday complaining about the "bad smell of natural gas".

www.examiner.com...

Why was a reporter turned away ?

Heywood was at 12 Mile Rd. and C Avenue at a bridge over the Ceresco Dam when employees from Enbridge turned him away.

michiganmessenger.com...

Enbridge was violating codes. The pipe that broke was over 30 years old ! They were supposed to check that pipe at least twice a year, they went two years without checking it ! And the government knew it ! They knew the pipe had corrosion and had lost metal ! And the government knew and allowed them to get away with it !

But the agency warned the company in the letter that it was violating code by not using a sufficient amount of certain chemicals used to protect pipe interiors, not using proper monitoring equipment to determine it those chemicals were working, and not examining its monitoring equipment at least twice a year.

www.woodtv.com...

Enbridge has had multiple "accidents' over the past decade. They have had multiple violations and have been sited for at least 30 of them......

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (AP) - A Canadian company whose pipeline leaked hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil into a Michigan river has experienced leaks, an explosion and dozens of regulatory violations in the past decade throughout the Great Lakes region and elsewhere in the U.S.

Enbridge Inc. or its affiliates have been cited for 30 enforcement actions since 2002 by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration — the U.S. Department of Transportation's regulatory arm. They include a warning letter sent Jan. 21 in which the agency told the company it may have violated safety codes by improperly monitoring corrosion in the pipeline responsible for the massive spill Monday in Talmadge Creek, a waterway in Calhoun County's Marshall Township that flows into the Kalamazoo River.

www.woodtv.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maximus0111

Pipeline leak pollutes major Michigan river

www.msnbc.msn.com

MARSHALL TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Crews were working Tuesday to contain and clean up more than 800,000 gallons of oil in southern Michigan that could be one of the largest oil spills in Midwest history, officials say.

Authorities in Battle Creek and Emmett Township were warning residents about the strong odor from the oil, which leaked Monday from a 30-inch pipeline that carries about 8 million gallons of oil per day from Griffith, Ind., to Sarnia, Ontario.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/27/2010 by semperfortis]

WHOA what the H*ll is all this oil leaks and accidents all of a sudden , is this the newest ploy to BEEF up the price of gas Again !

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
S&F OP

And Star Chise61

Quote : I agree that's a BIG problem for me, the lack of coverage on this spill. OIl spills anywhere else and it's a big story (as it should be) but it spills here and no gives gives a crap This is a major threat to the Great Lakes, if that oil gets into Lake Michigan all the Great Lakes could be contaminated. Many of us get our drinking water from there.

The Great Lakes are the largest surface freshwater system on the Earth. They contain about 84 percent of North America's surface fresh water and about 21 percent of the world's supply. Only the polar ice caps contain more fresh water.

If the great Lakes get contaminated then there goes A large part of North America's drinking water , i think these supposed all of a sudden accidents all over are pretty strange and not getting the attention it deserves seems like since it is not as big as the Gulf disaster people are not as concerned and they should be of even the tiniest accident of that nature which is so destructive and irreversible

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
How many lives, animal or human, must die before something even bigger than this spill, or the BP Gulf spill happens?

It is so very sad.

Wildlife rescue escalates at Mich. river oil spill

By TIM MARTIN, Associated Press Writers Tim Martin, Associated Press Writers – 47 mins ago

....Biologists fear the worst may be yet to come for fish in the river. Jay Wesley, a fish biologist with the state of Michigan, said the oil spill had killed fish in "very limited numbers" along the affected stretch of the river from Marshall westward into Battle Creek.

The bigger problems for fish may come within a week or so, if the oil spill results in decreased water oxygen levels. Wesley said insects, algae, frogs and turtles along the river have been killed in high numbers — which could hurt the fish food supply.

"The effects are probably going to be more long-term," Wesley said. "We probably won't know the full effects for weeks or months or years.".....

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Can some one make a list of all the oil spills?
and who is responsible.
and then we can put them on a map.
then get it out to the people and the news.
so we can see it All!

I can not believe BP has so many spills.
and we are letting them continue to carry on.
they should be Shut down until All spills stop.
and privet companies should be hired by the government to clean up.
that would hurt them.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hey everyone, I could use some help here.

I only spent about 20 minutes just now going through the usual MSM sites, including ones in Metro Detroit. I could not find any NEW news more current than Friday regarding this oil spill. Before I start screaming 'Media Blackout', I thought it would be more prudent to see if anyone else has anything more current.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If you want any news of the spill, only local news is covering it. Try looking at "wood tv 8" the west michigan NBC news outlet or even "wzzm channel 13", WWMT.com also covers the battle creek area. There has been little to no rain so it hasn't reached the lake. However the drinking water in that area is basicly unsafe now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join