It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do video games fry brains?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
No offense taken PrankMonkey. Well luckly my brother had a bad experience with a firework so he's afraid of guns and explosives now. Thanks for your opinions everybody. But I also wonder how well is our rating system set up. Because I've seen some kids in middle school can't handle a Teen rated game yet 3rd graders can take an M rated game. I figure people need to figure out age doesn't equal intelligence or maturity. Any ideas on what we should base the rating system?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Rating systems are kinda pointless if you ask me. Its all about how mature you are. If your parents have done a good job raising you then you could be 5 years old and play a mature rated game and it will have no effect on you because you realize that the game is fantasy. however if you have been sheltered from reality your whole life you could be 30 and play a kids game and it would freak you out because your not used to seeing fuzzy bunnys talking and it would drive you mad! Read Lone Wolf and Cub, the kid in that comic has seen his dad slaughter hundreds of men. He is 4 or 5 but has a look in his eye of a warrior!!! everything depends on how you are raised. If a boy of 5 can retain more honor then a man of 30 then you know our society is a little flawed.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
thats what i tink about the ratings but i didnt know how to say it

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Bang Bang your dead 50 bullets in your head, was what you yelled when i played cowboys and indians.
And i grew up in Australia[ No Indians here?]

Violence is what you experience when you grow up in a rough area not what you experience in a video game.

Study the nost violent thugs in the world and you'll find that they never thought of being that way because mum & dad bought them too many violent games, more likely that mum & dad were never there or that they felt they never had a chance in society.

Games, music,art,movies are there to invoke emotion in the beholder, violence may be the outcome[but as a small percentage], no media reports a story how these stimulants made a person do good.

I wouldn't even watch a story about that.

We are who we are, too much of anything is no good, Enjoy all of life in moderation.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
In my opinion certain video games fry the brains of young and impressionable brains. I think that someone 12 years old and up can handle mature rated games. Maybe our rating system should be based on IQ. But anywho I'm just worried because I have a brother turning 9 fairly soon he's very impressionable, has a low IQ and has a thing for violence. That and its probably not a good combonation with him playing Vice City everyday of the week (his favorite weapon is the chainsaw or the minigun).

I agree...There is a thread in the medical conspiracy board abotu this sort of thing..one that i had an impressive post on

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
What thread was that. Could somebody provide a link please.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join