It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit worries about new show pushing the "murder city" image.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/0f4932bc1ad7f1cc.jpg[/atsimg]

Detroit is worried this new show airing on the ABC network might give Detroit a bad image as dangerous and crime ridden. The number 1-8-7 refers to the police number dispatch "murder". Detroit earned the nickname "Murder City" after more than 700 homicides were committed there in 1974, and the city's homicide and violent crime rates are routinely among the nation's highest among large cities.

"Detroit 1-8-7" – the title uses a former California police code for homicide – is set to begin airing in September. The show is shot from the perspective of a documentary film crew tasked with shadowing Detroit homicide detectives. The pilot episode was shot in Atlanta, but producers plan to shoot future episodes in and around Detroit.

Now its understandable, Detroit already has a bad image we know this, the show probably wont make much of a difference. I can still understand where everyone is coming from. Detroiters have alot of passion for there city no matter what and this show makes it out that all there is in Detroit is people murdering one another, which is really not the case at all.

What are other peoples thoughts on this, and thoughts on Detroit? Will you be watching the show?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Jess_Undefined]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I fail to see how Detroit's image can get any worse. Personally, I think people are largely in denial of how awful it really is.

TV is funny. Even poor portrayals on television boost images just by virtue of being on television.

Baltimore still has an awful lot of "Homicide" based tourism.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I doubt if I'd watch it, but that's more because it's on the ABC network - if it were on HBO, or even FX or the like I might give it a chance.

The Wire didn't really change my opinion of Baltimore, nowhere near as much as John Waters did.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The vast majority of murders in Detroit are drug-related. It's not usually crazy people out killing random people. I haven't seen the show so I don't know all the details of it, but I hope it's statistically correct.

By the way, Detroit is voting for legalizing marijuana in November. My prediction is, within a few years, Detroit will be a hippy-town, peaceful with a low crime rate. Imagine everyone putting down their guns and picking up . . . something peaceful instead.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

Isnt Detroit also bulldozing massive tracts of housing?

It would be interesting to see Detroit become some sort of hippie commune destination for it's vast grassland acreage and lack of industry.

But where will Eminem go?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It just bothers me that nothing good gets covered. They only show the good stuff on the local news, and they skip over everything else on MSM. Its ridiculous. I lived inside Detroit up until I was 13. These people aren't just junkies. They are people with family's to support and do what they need to.

Not condoning murder or anything like that at all, but sometimes you have to step inside the others persons shoes to really know what its like instead of laughing at the poverty.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

www.naturalnews.com...

Detroit IS turning more & more into a hippy town. It will take time; probably 5 to 10 years for the complete transition.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I live in Columbus Ohio and it is getting real bad here, have had some 20 shootings in the last two weeks. Our stupid mayor and police chief are beside themselves.
Just call us little Detroit to the south thats what were are turning into.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I hope they film in Detroit. I don't like our Governess, but she pushed for Hollywood to come to Michigan and it seems to be working.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I don't consider Detroit a murder capital. I consider Chicago that.

Detroit comes across as a bankrupt city driven by the auto unions. Every large city has murders, even small towns do; just on a lesser scale. Detroit just doesn't fit the "murder city" mode.

But on a positive note, if the networks wanted to really be realistic and have Chicago as the real murder city, Obama would look bad. We can't have that. Detroit just has to take it on the chin.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
The vast majority of murders in Detroit are drug-related. It's not usually crazy people out killing random people. I haven't seen the show so I don't know all the details of it, but I hope it's statistically correct.

By the way, Detroit is voting for legalizing marijuana in November. My prediction is, within a few years, Detroit will be a hippy-town, peaceful with a low crime rate. Imagine everyone putting down their guns and picking up . . . something peaceful instead.

YOu know not what you speak, Detroit is already a filty blunt city. urban yutes on porches every few houses with baseball bats, jailin and no visible means of support, but getting lots of short visits. THere are no white people tp be hippies, the town is tagged with gang symbols and burned out and abandoned buildings are catching up to occupied ones.
The barely suppressed rage against the underpigmented by the mostly unemployed big D denizens makes it the most uncomfortable place to get inter racialThe only activities that generate even some interracial activity is drugs and crime.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
[edit on 28-7-2010 by mordant1]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I don't consider Detroit a murder capital. I consider Chicago that.

... Detroit just doesn't fit the "murder city" mode.

While Chicago may have more murders than Detroit, Detroit has a higher murder rate.

For example, in 2009 Chicago had roughly a population of 2.85 million and 458 murders. Detroit, on the other hand, had roughly a population of .91 million and 361 murders.

This information, while preliminary for 2009, can be found here in Table 4.

As for the hippy commune idea, Ann Arbor is located about 35 miles west.

Regardless of the stigma the show may bring, any publicity is good publicity.

EDIT to fix link.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There have been hit cop shows based in LA, New York, Boston, Las Vegas, Miami, etc. for quite some time. These shows haven't negatively effected those cities as far as I can tell. It seems that Detroit has some actual problems that they don't want the rest of the nation to see on the small screen. Maybe they are afraid the show will be too "reality based".

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
double post, sorry

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Mythic Chris]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythic Chris

Hahaha I forgot about that scene. Pretty funny.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I just watched the pilot episode, which aired yesterday.

While they poke fun at Detroit a couple times, what they say could go for any big city. The show follows dedicated cops that solve crimes, what kind of a bad image could that give the city? If the show showed them as incompetent buffoons, then I'd agree it'd give the city a bad image. I really liked it; I think it has promise.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I probably won't watch it.

I've never been there, but the way it's been portrayed to me is its a total crap hole.

I mean the ICP came from there right?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Yeah, ICP came from there, but so did:

Aaliyah
Anita Baker
Alice Cooper
Eminem
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Iggy Pop
Kid Rock
Madonna
MC5
Ted Nugent
Martha Reeve
Diana Ross
Smokey Robinson
Bob Seger
The White Stripes
Stevie Wonder

That's just to name a few. Point is, there are great things about every city, and bad things about every city. Media focus mostly on the bad things about Detroit, because bad things make better headlines. There's plenty of good going on in the city as well; lots of rejuvenation in the downtown area, new loft projects, an awesome riverfront park project, etc.

Detroit 1-8-7 focuses on crimes/homicides obviously, but the cops in the show are hard workers, they're dedicated and they get results. I think that shines a positive light on the DPD and their efforts, so the city being leery of the show's focus means the city's not seeing the whole picture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join