It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Do Not Vote for My Dad'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86d4c3222d7a.jpg[/atsimg]

Jan Schill, the daughter of a judicial candidate in Oklahoma, really doesn't want her father to be a judge. So much so that she took out a full-page ad telling people not to vote for him. And started a blog.

Yes, donotvoteformydad.com is live! The site, and its accompanying newspaper ad ("DO NOT VOTE FOR MY DAD... HE WOULD NOT BE A GOOD JUDGE!") are the products of a campaign started by Oklahoma judicial candidate John Mantooth's daughter, Jan Schill, and her husband Andrew Schill. [Click here to see a larger photo of the ad.] So far, the website consists of links to cases where Mantooth was sued, as well as a really gross story about worm-filled chocolates:

After a delightful lunch, I unwrapped the chocolates in anticipation of a quick dessert before returning to work. Also offering a chocolate to one of my friends, I took a quick bite. However, upon recognizing an unfamiliar and unpleasant taste I yelled in shock for my friend to stop. My deepest momentary fear was realized when a survey of the remaining chocolate revealed the remains of the numerous worms and weevils that had long ago devoured the aged chocolate.

The following day would find a slightly enraged voicemail from John Mantooth who had discovered that I was under the erroneous assumptions that the gift was for me. He wanted to clarify that the rusted golden basket, pocket knife, stale potpourri and worm-ridden chocolates were not for me, but were in fact for my wife, his second daughter, for Christmas! He did not want her to think she was forgotten! The slight humor I had originally felt quickly turned to anger and a renewed sadness for the years of such indifference my wife had endured.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: gawker.com...

Wow, this guy sure does have a lot more stacked up in front than most. This just may be one election to keep an eye on, for surely he won't win the election, although we've seen politicians get elected with much larger hurdles, such as former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry.

This should be a good lesson: Don't piss off the women in your life, whether it be an ex-wife, sister, daughter or friend, as they will find a way to "get back" at you.

Latest Blog Entry (July 27):

We are shocked both by the extent and the nature of the media coverage this story has generated. And we completely agree with Mr. Mantooth that the voters should look at his experience and record when deciding how to cast their vote for District Judge. It is our sincere hope that you will examine this record for which we’ve provide the limited examples available to us and make an appropriate and informed decision.

I would definitely say that this is one troubled relationship that doesn't look like it will mend anytime soon, though the love of a father for his daughter should be able to forgive even something like this.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
To me, this kind of looks like the vindictive, spoiled daughter who didn't get the pony for her sweet 16th and thus is taking it out on her dad. Of course I have no ensight into her family but it's what it looks like to me.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The power of the internet!

The best part of this is that it could be totally false but under the right circumstance will drive enough social media volume to plant the cnadidate name in the minds of people.

All you need is the recognition with people.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Guy's definitely crossing his fingers and hoping reverse psychology works on such a large scale...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

You never know - if my Mother had run for office I would have wanted to do the same thing and it wasn't because I didn't get the pony I wanted. Who knows a person better than their own family. She says he was not a good Dad, maybe he was abusive or neglectful. Knowing how so many that are not fit for office get in I think I would take her word for it.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

While I agree it could be true, there are many people who feel that there parents aren't good ones because they didn't have the child-hood they believe they deserved. For instance, my daughter thought I was mean because I don't allow my children to watch TV, instead making them focus on their studies and creativity. When she grows up, she'll see that I did this for her own good and not because I'm "mean" or a bad father, hopefully.

Here is the thing, if he really was a bad father, then why not chalk it up to that and let bygones be bygones? Being a parent and being a judge are two different things, seemingly similar but not really. I have known many people to excellent fathers but horrible military leaders and vice versa, though these two jobs are seemingly similar as well.

To me, this looks like an attempt to "get back" at her father for something, which is indicative of a superficial motive. Of course I could be wrong, but this is how I'm seeing it.

--airspoon

top topics

join