It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tug boat hits well causes new gusher in Gulf

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

The sea floor is no where near the surface. The dredge was dragging the bottom of the sea floor collecting dirt for Bobby Jindalls burms.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is the sand berms the dredge was collecting sand for. Dragging the seafloor collecting sand to put here. And as this dredge was dragging the seafloor it broke a capped well head on the sea floor. These welll heads are marked on maps to show there locations but when somebody is as impatient as Bobby Jindall they don't care about studying the problem and figureing out how to do the job right they jump in both feet and screw things up. Even these sand berms they have already done are washing away as they build them and now they have a broken well head to add to the list of F^&8 ups!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I am saying that the Administration (for which I voted) is seizing the opportunity to Press their Cap and Trade legislation that will absolutely destroy whatever economy is left.

Are they?

Or is that just fox-inspired speculation?

www.politico.com...

Senate Democrats pulled the plug on climate legislation Thursday, pushing the issue off into an uncertain future ahead of midterm elections where President Barack Obama’s party is girding for a drubbing. Read more: www.politico.com...

www.post-gazette.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It seems that puerto rico guy might be right after all about future things to come and the dirty black sea. If you don't believe me look it up on here.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
It seems that puerto rico guy might be right after all about future things to come and the dirty black sea. If you don't believe me look it up on here.

ok, ill be sure to do that. ill go type in puerto rican guys predicitions.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by OuttaTime

The sea floor is no where near the surface. The dredge was dragging the bottom of the sea floor collecting dirt for Bobby Jindalls burms.

OK. The OP and a few of the links stated that a tugboat hit it. *clip*

“Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts said that while oil was gushing from the well in 6 feet of water, it was too dangerous to get close enough to estimate how much oil was leaking out.”

*clip*. But if it is in 6' of water, my question is how did a dredge and a tugboat get in 6' of water when a tugboat has a deeper draft than that?
Something just isn't adding up

edit to add: I can now see that the location is in the marshlands and not out at sea. I'm guessing the water at that point is atleast 12 feet deep with the pipe sticking up 6' from the seabed? Still not sure as the councilman says 6' of water. A shallow draft tug needs a minimum of 6.5' of draft (empty) while an open barge needs 9' of draft empty. I'm still trying to figure out how they can physically do this in 6' of water (taking tides into consideration) unless they are using smaller versions of said vessels.

edit again to add source link and remove the 'other story'

[edit on 27-7-2010 by OuttaTime]

[edit on 27-7-2010 by OuttaTime]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
this happens all the time in the gulf, you people are just hearing about it because of the BP incident, had it not been for the BP incident you would never have been the wiser nor would you have given a damm about some tug boat hitting an oil well in Louisiana.
go back to your normal lives of watching sports, reality tv and fighting over politics, the gulf was fine before you came along and will be fine long after you lose interest.
damm hippies.

Gotcha. damn hippies go away but government damn well better send you some relief checks.

Should a disaster happen here in Virginia please don't give a tinker's damn. Don't try to learn anything about it or help because FEMA is going to make it all better.
uh-huh

Passive/aggressive are we?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a tugboat really? can i please see an interview with the captain to see how full of # he is. i wonder how much they paid this "captain" to tell that he hit it with his "tugboat"

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

and how will you get all your little penguins to the store? or to school, no oil, no school bus. oh and no SUV to drive around in...

! ! ! With vehicules using **H**, hydrogen ! ! !
lubricated with synthetic lubricants ! ! !

If we had developed **H** energies, and NOT develop the
stupid "internal combustion engine", for 100 years,
we would NOT have the problems we are in, now ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by C-JEAN

and how will you get all your little penguins to the store? or to school, no oil, no school bus. oh and no SUV to drive around in...

Blue skies.

No change. The cheapest and most efficient way to make Hydrogen is to extract it from carbon fuels. The extraction process and subsequent shipping and storage are less efficient than processing fuel oils and gasoline.

Nope, when profit is the driving force, Hydrogen is just as damaging as gasoline, because crude is still cheap and abundant!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Seems Cedyco well C-177 is orphaned because the company Cedyco is being sued over and over again. There stock is .03 with a high of .05.

The accident between a dredge barge and an oil wellhead in lower Jefferson caused a 100-foot plume of oil, natural gas and contaminated water to spew into the Barataria Waterway, parish and Coast Guard officials said in a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Marine traffic has been restricted by a two-mile safety zone established by the Coast Guard to prevent a possible ignition of the gas, said Capt. John Arenstam, deputy Coast Guard sector commander.

Response to the incident is being handled by federal authorities because the wellhead, which is owned by CEDYCO Corporation of Houston is considered "orphaned" because the company is now defunct, said Deano Bonano, the Jefferson Parish chief of homeland security. Authorities are using funds from the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund to pay for the cleanup operations, and have hired a Harahan company to cap and plug the damaged wellhead, Arenstam said.

Bonano said the leak is not classified as a large one, however the exact amount of oil and gas being spilled into the water is unknown.

Councilman Elton Lagasse called the incident yet another blow to the parish as it tries to recover from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

"We just got the Barataria Bay cleaned a week ago," Lagasse said. "This is something that could happen at anytime. There are thousands of these wells out there."

So there is gas leak with a threat of possible ignition?

I guess the company CEDYCO Corporation got busted illegaly dumping waste in the water ways 17,280 gallons per day. Organic carbon TOC concentration of 634mg/l , Chloride concentration of 45,300 mg/l , And oil/gas concentration of 73.5 mg/l.

Now that is a lot of bleach.

www.deq.louisiana.gov...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I just posted this below on another thread about the Michigan spill. Would love to hear some thoughts.

The Oil companies need to raise the cost of petroleum products such as heating oil, gasoline, etc. In the past and I am talking last 20-30 years, did you ever notice that prices rose after an "accidental" refinery explosion? No one was ever killed much less hurt. The refinery shut down would cause prices to rise for a while. This all of course when the economy was in decent shape and demand was there.

Now we have large spills, the Gulf incident, China and now Michigan. 11 died in the Gulf accident. They are creating disasters to justify getting the retail prices up in a protracted period of economic decline. Prices at the pump are not much higher at $78 per barrel than they were at $50 per barrel. Just makes you wonder.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
How will Rush, GP and Fox spin the story and add their own facts to try to blame Obama for the accident?

How will the GOP and Fox use this for political purposes.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Oh no this is just terrible! I do not believe a tug boat did this. Unbelievable, how dumb do they really think we are. I guess they needed to take the heat off BP by fixing the original leak but there agenda was not complete so they had to create another leak. Just unbelievable!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
So first the Gulf disaster, then the oil spill in China, then the tugboat hits a well, and apparently here in Michigan another spill in the Kalamazoo River. Oh and the damn broke in Iowa. Why does everything appear to be failing at the same time? Jobs,Home Values,Money...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Paradigm2012

If it wasn't so serious this would be quite funny, on top of that other
unfunny thing.

I would think a Oil Platform is pretty big and should be easy to spot,
but I could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
Shouldn't a pipe 6 feet below the surface have a buoy or something to mark its position?

There may have been a buoy but in these days of metal thieves its likely in a scrap yard some where.

In Calif when a oil company goes out of business and abandons wells the state will seize the well and auction it off to another company.

These usually become stripper wells till they no longer produce any oil or gas.
Then its easy to pump cement down seal them.

Stripper wells are small business in Calif and have many state and federal tax write offs. You can even write off sealing the well.
I worked on a couple where the gas from the well was used to run 1/2 megawatt generators that fed power onto the grid and the oil went into large tanks and were picked up to sell to refineries.

The old guy that bought and set these wells up makes about $50,000 profit a year from each of these wells.

And the old man had got the plans for his system from a ranch in Texas that has over a 100 wells set up like this.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This is definitely some crazy S#$T!

I haven't checked the tide tables or anything but we are just exiting a full moon cycle. So Highest high water for the day is a few feet higher during full/new moon. I'm assuming the tug went in towards the end of the flood tide on rising water and would take advantage of slack water to get it's load of sand. I heard on CNN that the Captain claimed the well was unmarked.

That is entirely possible. When they update charts including electronic charts for GPS systems sometimes little things get lost. This could be the case. They would have done surveys of the area with sonar to get soundings and then designated a certain dimension box where the dredge would collect sand from. I worked on the Fraser Titan dredge for years doing channel maintenance in the Fraser River.

I believe an article stated that this well had a shutoff valve below the cap so it's just a matter of bringing in the right equipment to get it shut. It's shallow depth will make it a little more challenging. They need to bring in water cannon boats to drench the well head to keep the explosion risk down and then get someone in there to trigger the valve.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by C-JEAN

Blue skies.

The Hindenberg was using "Hydrogen technology" and it went boom!

I don't want to drive a mini-Hindenberg with a tank full of hydrogen!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Come on people wake up a tugboat really? who the hell do they think we are some form of mindless jockeys that will believe anything they say, you gotta be kidding me. Whats next on their story book agendas? The detonation of left over sea mines from WW2.

I mean come on surely they can't believe they are going to get away with that. I #ing hate these corporate bastards that are killing our ocean life and destroying the innocent lives surrounding it.

What the # are they playing at
:fla me:

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join