It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tug boat hits well causes new gusher in Gulf

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Come on!!!

Why was there an unmarked well-head where a boat could strike it? WTF is wrong with these companies? WTF is wrong with our regulatory agencies? I mean, SERIOUSLY!!!

Seems to me that someone is bound and determined to continue to pollute the hell out of the Gulf at any all costs!

Not too mention now we have an oil spill here in Michigan too...

this is just too much for it to all have " just happened because".......

this is all known about and being donw on purpose, or allowed to happen on purpose...

Maybe they think they aren't doing anything wrong by not acting.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't see light at the end of this tunnel. It is only going to get worse for gulf coast residents. Evacuation may be an inevitable scenario if that is actually gas instead of oil leaking from the "thug" boat incident.

http://(nolink)/2010/07/26/marine-toxicologists-on-bp-gulf-oil-spill-we-need-to-start-talking-about-whos-going-to-pay-for-evacuations /

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
To be Honest I am not the least bit surprised by this. I feel disaster is nothing new to the "Oil Patch", if we wanted to browse boats, drill rigs, and barges currently working in the gulf we could probably find some that have sank or flipped over at least 3 times (salvage is big business also). wells directly below the surface are not as uncommon as you might think, heck I remember working on one just last summer. I am not an advocating a ban on offshore drilling, but I think it is time the Government and Oil companies slow down take a honest to god look at "what kind of work" is actually being done in the gulf and to what standard. The incidents we are hearing about are only those that are reported, hundreds if not thousands of mishaps go unreported every year.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by max1985]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering

Originally posted by seanizle
reply to post by Just Wondering

And everyday this thing is leaking more and more oil into the gulf, probably 10 times what BP is admitting to.
you do realize that the well hasn't leaked for a couple of weeks now right?

Oh then those are just invisible bubbles coming out of the well flange? Oh an that's not oil in them...with methane? Are you even for real right now?

Lets say the tug boat happened to be there when the thing blew. Do you realize there are 27,000 abandoned wells, if not more in the Gulf of Mexico? Do you know how many "caps" that is. If this thing blew because of pressure, be it as a result of the Deewater disaster, or because idiots think they can cap off a well that was spewing, then realize just how many of those wells, abandoned as many as 50 years ago, are at risk to blow their "caps" any time now.

Also lets weigh the odds a little bit...of what...3 major oil spills in the past months? And I am talking Hundreds of thousands of gallons in the pasty DAY. The odds are pretty slim, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen. Lets just say if this were a lottery, someone just hit the jackpot 3 consecutive times in a row.

With that said, the Exxon Valdez disaster was caused by a drunk man at the wheel. We may never truly know what caused the Deepwater rig to blow up. Though where is this tugboat and the boat it was towing?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
OK, what is a well with that kind of pressure doing capped off?

These navigable waterways are extremely well marked, and the well heads are clearly laid out on mapping software, as are all water hazards.

A tug, and a dredging barge would have done a lot of research before doing any work or taking any course. I don't believe the Captain made this big of an "error."

The other incident in Michigan today was a 30" pipe that leaked 800,000 gallons before being shut down, and that oil has now made its way to the Kalamazoo River, and bad weather is keeping them from deploying boom or using heavy equipment. The oil is moving rapidly down river.

I am not saying it is a Conspiracy, or a Biblical event, but I am saying that the odds of all of this happening in such a narrow time frame in such a narrow geographical area are astronomical. I am saying that the Administration (for which I voted) is seizing the opportunity to Press their Cap and Trade legislation that will absolutely destroy whatever economy is left. I am saying that the US is being hammered from every possible avenue from Economy to Environment to Domestic Unrest to Wars on multiple fronts. I am saying that this cannot continue for much longer without reaching a tipping point from which the world will change forever!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Let's shoot a flare gun at it, be a big birthday candle or a fuse to da bomb

perhpas they make good channel markers?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
So there are no gps monitoring devices on the boats/ wells where an alarm will go off when approaching to close to well??

[edit on 7/27/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

No proximity alarms at all.

Some parts of the oil industry are very high tech, others are very low
tech and it mostly has to do with money.

They could make alarms and lights flash if something gets too close
to the well head pretty easy.

Even here on shore we have lights on TV towers, but not on wellheads
in the gulf near hug ships ???

It just shows a reckless to the approach of it all.

The bottom line is more important than the cost of a all weather
flashing LED powered by wave motion or solar during dark hours.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Is this the Jindall effect. He wants so badly to build those burms that he goes about it against the best judgement of others. The burms are washing away as fast as they put them in and now they have caused a new leak on top of that. Sometimes it doesn't help to do what ever comes to mind. Sometimes you have to think about what you are doing.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
According to the article posted by the OP...

"The tugboat was pushing a barge when the collision happened, he added."

(BOLD text by me just for emphasis.)

So I'm just trying to visualize this lil tug boat pushing a huge barge, and somehow the barge misses it but the tugboat runs into it? Can somebody please explain me to this???

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The barge was a dredge barge called Captain Buford. It was dragging the bottom collecting dirt for the burms that Jimdall wants built. So it wasn't just sticking out of the water. But on the sea floor and the Gulf of Mexico is full of capped wells like that.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by C-JEAN
Hi airspoon.

Originally posted by airspoon
. . .I would think that we are being led away from oil.

! ! That woulb be the **BEST** thing resulting from that disaster ! !

Blue skies.
and how will you get all your little penguins to the store? or to school, no oil, no school bus. oh and no SUV to drive around in...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thanks but according to the article, the barge did not hit the well head, the tugboat - which was pushing the barge- hit the well head. That is what I am having difficulty understanding.

Why did the barge, which is bigger, deeper, and in front of the Tugboat (which is pushing it) glide right over and then the Tugboat hit it. The article says the Tugboat is pushing (not pulling) the barge. Maybe it's a typo.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What I want to know is,if the Gulf of Mexico incident is a regular occurrence then why all the fuss?Why all these media coverage as though it was the end of the world or something?Why all the cameras down there giving us live feed?

I live in Canada and we're not allowed to drink the tap water now for some reason.My wife made a tea and before she put the creme in she noticed some sort of oil in her tea!...Go check your water!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Oh my God! Does every little thing frightened you people?

It's the Tug Boats fault. It ran into a stationary object. It's no different than running aground.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
And here's what I dont' understand. As far as I know only the marshlands have been contaminated by oil.

Who the heck vacations in marshlands?

There has been no ecological damage to the gulf states as far as I know.

The only thing that has happened is GOP fear. And the sheeple followed right along.

So now, every time something happens they plaster it on the MSM to get you all afraid and flustered.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I wonder....

If a tug boat ran into a bridge and killed 20 people would it be more frightening than a tug boat that ran into an oil well?

Me personally, I need to use the bridge. I don't need to use an oil rig.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A barge is not self powered. The tug boat is to blame because it was pushing/pulling the barge that was dredging the sea floor where it the dredge hit a underwater well head that had been vapped on the seafloor.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
gulfnews.com...

The well, located about 104 kilometres south of New Orleans, was ruptured when it was struck by a dredge barge called Captain Buford pulled by a tug, Pere Ana C.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean

So now, every time something happens they plaster it on the MSM to get you all afraid and flustered.

Those events don't scare me or anything like that, but I do find it a bit disturbing that something like this could happen. I mean, why have a plugged wellpipe that close to the surface? Especially that far offshore.
And if these wells are still productive, why drill new ones when the old ones can be retapped? Sure would save on drilling costs. I'm guessing leases expired on these sites. Either way, whenever I read about some manmade natural disaster it makes me wonder what types of preventative measures could have been used to insure safety.
My guess is we'll be looking at close to 30,000 sealed wells within a decade. If there is still oil/natural gas in them, wouldn't it be wise to permanently seal them and remove as much of the exposed pipe as possible to avoid such accidents as this?
It seems that we become complacent with stuff like this over time.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join