It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spacewalking Cosmonaut: What's THAT??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Bright objects float away from space station
By the CNN Wire Staff
July 27, 2010 5:19 a.m. EDT

www.cnn.com...

the question every space buff wanted an answer to is: "What was that I just saw floating away?"
Two objects drifted away during astronauts Fyodor Yurchikhin and Mikhail Kornienko's six-hour assignment.
When the first one swam by, even NASA was befuddled as to what it was.

Also, from 'Space News':
www.space.com...

...an unidentified object .... was visible spinning slowly as it floated farther and farther away. "What is it?" one cosmonaut asked in Russian.

Some background on why Mission Control follows such UFOs with its cameras:

Why NASA watches out for true UFOs
Astronauts don’t keep mum about potentially life-threatening objects
www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by JimOberg]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think that is just ice floating freely in space, or some other space debris.

We have to remember that space is full of debris these days. Overall, nice video!

Edit: That was some part of the tools. DUH!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by koperniguz]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This sadly is just debirs/space junk. But it's good it created a wave of interest in the media.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
That is incredible!

It is BIG!
It is not a debris or ice, because the Alert procedure for "imminent collision" warns immediatly and seveal hours before "it" enter in the spacecraft path so the spacecraft can manouver and change its position in orbit.
It is something else!

S&F.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Interesting footage, did you also notice the two small moving lights near that object, one below it which moves to the right, and one above it which move upwards?

Could be some ice particles or dust of course.

I did also read your article here.

by James Oberg NBC News space analyst,Special to MSNBC.
HOUSTON — Friday’s brief orbital anxiety about threats from an unidentified object seen out the window of space shuttle Discovery underscore why NASA has always been interested in what can justifiably be called UFOs.

The incident explains a lot about the procedures and practices for dealing with unusual naked eye or camera sightings of the "stuff" outside spaceship windows.

It has nothing to do with widely circulated stories of alien visitors, clandestine radio channels or supposedly top-secret standing orders to avoid discussions of such sightings — or even lie about them.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

That last remark of you did remind me of a very interesting video from mcrom901 which he once posted here.

The old incorrect link replaced by the right link.

reply to post by mcrom901

There are many interesting discussions showed in that video from the astronauts with ground controle, but this really got my attention.

reply to post by mcrom901

“censor them before you release them”???

Quite interesting is it not?

[edit on 27/7/10 by spacevisitor]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

"What is it?" one cosmonaut asked in Russian. "It looks like it's a handle or an attachment fixture – yes, it's an attachment fixture," the other cosmonaut replied

www.space.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Even if the ONLY value to observing nearby bogies is connected with spacecraft safety, it's still commendable that amateur video downlink watchers often seem MORE alert and responsive than the professionals. Guys like the late Jeff Challender and his Aggie dentist buddy may (like Martyn Stubbs) have had looney-tune interpretations of WHAT they were seeing, but at least they WERE seeing and recording stuff that all too often was too automatically disregarded by Mission Control. So good for them, and for all the other sharp eyes out there.

Here's a presentation I gave to a NASA panel in 1993 about the importance of watching for stuff for reasons of safety:

www.jamesoberg.com...

And of course, there could well be even more important reasons to filter out the non-prosaic (if any) from the background noise. The possibility of such non-prosaic ("extraordinary") stimuli occurring cannot be excluded. I don't think it's happened yet, but the potential payoff justifies the persistence AND the rigorous evaluations.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by JimOberg]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
sad part is everyone who watches CNN would belive it to be true that it was a washer. Learn to think for yourselfs people!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
You'd think that these astronaughts would be more considerate of their tools and equipment in space and try to make sure they don't lose stuff.

Seems to be alot of stuff floating around

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
In the beginning it atually looks like an astronaut(suit) floating away, arms,legs.

And I thought washers are round.

new topics

top topics

join