It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get public involved in 'DIY' policing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
More plans are being brought forward on the "Big Society" Idea of the new Coalition Government.

David Cameron's "big society in action" answer to police budget cuts has been revealed as a plan to appeal to the public to take part in "do-it-yourself" policing ‑ and perhaps even go on patrol with uniformed officers.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Again, I'm not really sure what to make of these plans. I mean the "Big Society" will mean having DIY Policing. what will be the results of this. Vigilantes?, Lynch mobs?
Who will volunteer to be a DIY police member. I know I would rather volunteer to help disadvantaged people rather than be a volunteer Copper.

Unemployed people are now going to be expected to be volunteers and basically doing the jobs that used to come with a wage for free.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I think we need to wait and see exactly what is proposed.

In the village where I live with have retained fireman. Ordinary members of the public, given training and able to respond quickly to local emergencies.

We also have a rapid response health team manned by volunteers, and we shouldn't forget the great work that the St John’s Ambulance do.

Then there are the community support officers and the neighbourhood watch.

I will reserve my judgement on DIY police until more is revealed, but in principle it could work and be a benefit to the local community.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I have been voluntarily policing for years, well my house anyway.
I wouln't do a street patrol however, we pay people to do such things.
Wait, we don't have the money to do that?
Where did the money go?

(Edit)
As far as policing the hood?
Why open myself to danger and law suits to help thankless individuals?
After all people only view Peace Officers as Stormtroopers.
Like I say to the folks who say, "Facist Pigs"!
One day you will want a cop but there will be none, nobody to save you.
Take care of yourself, friends and family, maybe your close neighbors and forsake the rest.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by g146541]

join