It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan panel moots major defence policy shift: reports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Japan panel moots major defence policy shift: reports

www.spacewar.com

It also proposes lifting outright bans on development and possession of nuclear weapons and their transportation to Japan, which could stir controversy in the officially pacifist nation, the Asahi said.

It also proposes relaxation of restrictions on arms exports to allow joint development and production of weapons with the United States and other allies, the Yomiuri said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
This is the biggest change of Japanese military policy since 1945, if approved...

Japan would develop nukes... and have a bigger army and would develop new weapons with the US and other allies.

One thing is sure, this is a MAJOR DEVELOPMENT on the world stage...

And China won't like this at all. China HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN about Nanking and Unit 731.

Perhaps Japan has figured out that once the US is bankrupt, they won't be able to protect Japan from China expansionist policies...

They also have to protect themselves from the nut jobs in North Korea. After all, North Korea in a war, could launch missiles at Japanese nuclear power plants, creating massive Chernobyls. If that were to happen, how COULD they respond without having nukes? With their little defense force? Please.

Japan might also be afraid of an UNITED KOREA coming in the future. Koreans have not forgotten about Japanese crimes during the occupation.

What China is gonna say is gonna be interesting.

Japan have huge problems internally. They are basically bankrupt. They have almost no natural resources. They have no oil. Their population is aging. They are hated in Asia because of WW2.

I think them getting nukes would be a good idea.

Of course that's gonna violate a number of international laws and treaties...and it will piss off Iran and North Korea.
But I love Japan... and considering their situation... if they want to stay ``sovereign``... they gotta defend themselves.

www.spacewar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This would be the biggest change in Japanese military affairs since 1945 and nobody cares?

What?

Japan developing nukes and the implications of that in Asia doesn't bother you?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Not good. I wonder whats behind this?

This could be a signal to both the US and China to handle NK or Japan will start arming itself again. I wonder if the prospect could force China to take a tougher line with NK.

If its not just for leverage, and they actually do it, you can expect a nuclear arms race in the region. Thats not good at all.

From a 2009 report on the issue.

"To many security experts, the most alarming possible consequence of a Japanese decision to develop nuclear weapons would be the development of a regional arms race.33 The fear is based on the belief that a nuclear-armed Japan could compel South Korea to develop its own program; encourage China to increase and/or improve its relatively small arsenal; and possibly inspire Taiwan to pursue nuclear weapons. This in turn might have spill-over effects on the already nuclear-armed India and Pakistan. The prospect—or even reality—of several nuclear states rising in a region that is already rife with historical grievances and contemporary tension could be deeply destabilizing. The counter-argument, made by some security experts, is that nuclear deterrence was stabilizing during the Cold War, and a similar nuclear balance could be achieved in Asia. However, most observers maintain that the risks outweigh potential stabilizing factors"

www.fas.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Thanks I remember reading this report... indeed this could be big, but it seems people don't notice this thread... maybe once it's ``official`` and reported by the MSM that Japan develops nukes they'll notice.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
First - how will this effect Article 9? I thought a rearming like this was banned by said Article?

For those wondering...

Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes. (2) To accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized

Second - Is there any truth to the rumour that the Japanese are starting to build an aircraft carrier?

#

Off topic, but who likes my new signiture?

[edit on 31-7-2010 by BSG75]

[edit on 31-7-2010 by BSG75]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Japan is already considered a de facto nuclear weapons state. It is kow that Japan could develoip a nuke in as little as 3 months if it wanted to.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Of course Japan can become ``a real nuclear power`` within 3 months.

But having the potential and having the actual accurate ICBMs and warheads and plenty of it is a whole another ball game.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

Love the sig, god rest that little guys. . .hardware???? dunno

anyway, I'm sure Japan will remain a peaceful nation so long as it is not attacked. The wounds from Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still fresh in everyone's mind so they of all people should know war should only be used in self defense although on the other hand they might want to take revenge in the event of a weakend U.S rife with its own internal conflict.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Second - Is there any truth to the rumour that the Japanese are starting to build an aircraft carrier?

I have heard about this as well. I believe it's a forgone conclusion that the JMSDF will eventually have aircraft carriers. They already have numerous amphibious assault ships so aircraft carriers will eventually appear on their roster. The question is when.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The Japanese have more than proven the can Git-R-Done
at any time.
They have the hardware sitting around here and there and could snap it together at any time.
I severly doubt it is China they are worried about
They are worried about the proven mad man waving the axe wildly...
Who has just slaughtered several millions world wide with no honest justification?
They know the Chousan was a False flag...
who did they just tell to GET OUT?
how obvious can it get?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It wouldnt take them long at all....within a year they could have hundreds of missiles. Is that long enough for you?

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by princeofpeace

Of course Japan can become ``a real nuclear power`` within 3 months.

But having the potential and having the actual accurate ICBMs and warheads and plenty of it is a whole another ball game.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
it has been argued Japan has the technology, raw materials, and the capital to produce nuclear weapons within one year if necessary, and some analysts consider it a de facto nuclear state for this reason. For this reason Japan is often said to be a "screwdriver's turn" away from possessing nuclear weapons.

Significant amounts of reactor-grade plutonium are created as a by-product of the nuclear energy industry, and Japan was reported in December 1995 to have 4.7 tons of plutonium, enough for around 700 nuclear warheads. Japan also possesses an indigenous uranium enrichment plant which could hypothetically be used to make highly enriched uranium suitable for weapon use. Japan has also developed the M-V three-stage solid fuel rocket, similar in design to the U.S. LGM-118A Peacekeeper ICBM, which could serve as a delivery vehicle.

It has been pointed out that as long as Japan enjoys the benefits of a "nuclear-ready" status it will see no reason to actually produce nuclear arms, since by remaining below the threshold, albeit with the capability to cross it at short notice, Japan can expect the support of the US while posing as an equal to China and Russia.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
But I thought they couldn't go to war without breaching Article 9.How are they going to get around that?

(There is no second line... only you can read this)

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

Simple. When you're an ally of the US, international law don't apply to you.

See : Israel.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BSG75
But I thought they couldn't go to war without breaching Article 9.How are they going to get around that?

(There is no second line... only you can read this)

Change it.

I'm sure they have an amendment process just like the US does.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
eh let them have there weapons a militarized japan dosent scare me much as to the article 9 part im sure they can find a way around it dont think the koreas or the china's(tawan PRC) will like it but theres not much they can do about it

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I'm sure they have an amendment process just like the US does.

Actually, they don't.

The constitution of Japan was imposed after defeat in WWII and as far as I know there is no process for changing it. I could be wrong, but I think this is how it goes for them. It was intended that way to keep Japan from "rising again" in the wake of the war.

The entire Japanese government, in fact, is very decentralized. Prime Ministers come and go very quickly, sometimes several in the space of one year (ex-PM Koizumi was a recent exception, holding power for a number of years). There is very little central accountablilty the way there is in America or other European nations. Again, this was done by America after 1945, when it imposed the current form of government with the express aim of preventing too much power from falling into too few hands.

The result is a state that, for good or ill, coasts along and dithers and is unable to make decisive policy -- witness the 20-year economic slump. Power is concentrated in the hands of various ministries and large corporations, but its hard to get these people to move on major policy decisions. Japan is like a big ocean liner cruising along with nobody at the wheel and slowly, very slolwy, taking large amounts of water.

[edit on 8/1/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BSG75
First - how will this effect Article 9? I thought a rearming like this was banned by said Article?

1) Unless the SDF is re-classified, and they adopt a first-strike policy, article 9 inst violated.

2) The "aircraft carrier" is a helicopter carrier.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
take it from anyone who knows Naval history, the Japanese are known to have a superior Naval Power

the Americans found out that Naval battle with the Japanese was an epic uphill battle... the Americans, so prideful of their 'strong and powerful' military resorted to using two nuclear bombs, one of which on a heavily populated civilian site to get the Japanese to submit..

like i said, anyone who knows their history knows that the Japanese are usually respected as having one of the top Naval Powers in the world

i would suspect this change in policy is not a 'spur' of the moment thing, this was definitely a well thought out, long planned choice, and also i would suspect that there are reasons for it coming into effect, reasons i can only speculate

but for now, history has taught us the Japanese regard war very seriously

seeing as how we are hundreds of feet under debt to them... they probably want to make sure they get there money, and 'historically' they know the methods to get it if need be

[edit on 8/1/2010 by indigothefish]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join