It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
KABUL, July 26 (Xinhua) -- More than 50 non-combatants were killed by NATO troops in the troubled Helmand province in south Afghanistan on Friday, a spokesman to Presidential Palace said on Monday.
"Fifty-two civilians were killed in Sangin district on Friday as NATO forces fired a rocket," Siamak Heravi told Xinhua.
However, he did not give more details, saying a statement would be released in this regard.
Early on Saturday locals in Sangin district said that more than 50 civilians including women and children were killed as NATO's aircraft dropped bomb.
Originally posted by Violater1
I can't believe how people are suckered into believing 1 report from a Chinese newspaper. Can't they understand the Sino interest in these oil fields?
Sheesh, next, they will believe that china will report a military helicopter is a UFO buzzing their airports.
Nothing here folks.
I know a couple Afghanistan veterans and they came under fire from the taliban.
After they used artillery to take out the taliban they were able to get into the area a couple hour later. All they found was dead taliban.
And a lot of spent AK rounds.
A week later the news stories were out of all the civilians that had been killed.
The dead taliban became civilians because the surviving taliban had removed all the weapons before they fell back from the battlefield.
This has become a common tactic of the taliban to remove weapons from the bodies of there people after a battle and then claim the people killed were civilians.
Afghan government and Nato officials have disputed each others' accounts of reports that over 50 civilians were killed after being caught up in fighting between foreign forces and the Taliban.
The Afghan officials said on Monday that 52 people, many women and children, were killed by a Nato-rocket attack in Sangin, Helmand province, but Nato said an investigation had not yet revealed any civilian casualties.
Civilian deaths caused by foreign forces are a major source of friction between Afgan president Hamid Karzai and his Western backers, whose 150,000 troops are engaged in an increasingly bloody war with the Taliban.
The United Nations said it was "deeply concerned" at the reports and urged a thorough investigation.
Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Is violence in Afghanistan picking up in general?
25 killed in bus explosion in Afghanistan
And a lot of odd and random incidents.
The Taliban in Afghanistan have built a new generation of improvised explosive devices which is not detectable, a Taliban statement has said.
The new IEDs, called “Omar”, have been made by the Taliban technical experts inside Afghanistan and cost only $85 each, the statement, released on Friday, said.
According to the Taliban statement the new IEDs are not detectable by special mine-detector machines used by foreign forces based in the country.
Taliban said they have made the new remote-controlled IEDs after the US and NATO forces entered into Afghanistan special modern devices that are able to detect and neutralize ordinary IEDs made by the Taliban.