It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the European Union scare some people?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
before the EU was a trading alliance of sorts, it only now begins to become a political entity (constitution), i'm not just blaming Blair (though he is a total prat ) i'm blaming all British political parties for refusing to talk about it properly without childish shouting
i'd like a return to a free trade alliance rather than political and social intergration

[edit on 26-6-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Of course the E.U. scares the U.S. it will give them less market influence around the world. NAFTA was so great for Canadians because it allowed the U.S. to screw us whenever they could. SOftwood lumber for instance. Because the U.S. lumber industry fell behind the times in productivity the U.S. launches a bogus claim that we are subsidizing our industry. FOrcing 50 000 BC residents alone to lose their jobs on something that was ruled illegal by the WTO twice before.

IF that's trading in good faith, screw it and we'll deal with our own trade.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The idea of all European Countries coming together and unite is a very nice idea. But things are not so sweet and dandy.

Being someone who lives in Britian i don't really like the idea of all the European countries coming together and controlled by one Government scares me!!

Britain is starting to lose its culture, e.g we have a Queen and a Priminister NOT a President!

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think it is very funny what happens in europe, especial the things happen in UK, for hundereds of years, Britain wantet the "balance of power" on continental europe, so there will no european power which would be able to defeat UK be, now there is build up the dream of big european people, a old dream of most germans and frensh like Karl der Gro�e, Napoleon Bonaparte, ....

a UNITED EUROPE

and now it will be a LAWFUL Europe!

Because there will be no nation, which domineers the others, not germany, nor france!

there will never ever be a war between continental european countrys, we will have a hole european army, we will be stronger one of us ever could be alone!

If UK will be anti-EU, it will miss the train and will be alone and isolated in the atlantic ocean....

[edit on 6-9-2004 by Wodan]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I would advise concerned citizens of the U.K. to do some research
on the Republic of Texas and how things went when it joined the
Union(now known as the U.S.) History does repeat itself in some ways....
I understand it's not a big menu of choices between EU, U.S., or to remain independant.
My take would be if Bush takes office, hold off for 4 years and remain undecided/independant, if not and Kerry takes office the welcome mat is open.

I am not oppsed to the idea of a E.U. however I feel U.K. is a special case where they could feasibly operate independantly of the E.U. ... perhaps I am naive..

I just thought the above suggestion of looking into Texas history would help gleem some insight.

[edit on 6-9-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by StrangeLands
Secondly, we're going in with our eyes open. I don't know how hard people fought against the "dangers" of federalism back at the dawn of the US, but European countries have been hit with that particular political stick every step of the way.

would the EU be more of a Democracy or Republic?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan
If UK will be anti-EU, it will miss the train and will be alone and isolated in the atlantic ocean....

And.. forced instead to do business with the other 5.5 billion people in the world, to strengthen it's bonds with the commonwealth, alone, like the rest of the English speaking world, plus Russia, India, China, the Pacific rim, Africa.. and other such sleepy backwaters...all the while nestled off the coast of Europe, ever present, ever innovating, creating, and doing business, a TRULY international meeting point of cultures and ideas... maybe not the workshop of the world, but quite possibly the trading post?

Call me a dreamer, but it's a dream at least as good as anything the EU has to offer.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by keholmes
would the EU be more of a Democracy or Republic?

More of a Republic,
EU would have a President

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I used to be for the EU, and globalization on the whole. But as One looks into the intense regulations, and the means by which local and national laws are over-ridden by Eu(and in the future, UN) laws, it causes me to take caution.

This isn't just about trade any longer. It is about control, like a massive federal system.

But, it is not surprising. The Bible has predicted a one world government for a long, long time. I just worry for my children, who will have their civil liberties subject to a mere few, or one golobal body politic, which has no appeal to me whatsoever!

The Spider

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spidergooch
I used to be for the EU, and globalization on the whole. But as One looks into the intense regulations, and the means by which local and national laws are over-ridden by Eu(and in the future, UN) laws, it causes me to take caution.

This isn't just about trade any longer. It is about control, like a massive federal system.

But, it is not surprising. The Bible has predicted a one world government for a long, long time. I just worry for my children, who will have their civil liberties subject to a mere few, or one golobal body politic, which has no appeal to me whatsoever!

The Spider

The longer the EU goes on for the more people see how corrupt and pointless it really is

There are other ways of uniting Europe Alternative European Alliances

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
The longer the EU goes on for the more people see how corrupt and pointless it really is

The EU will prevent us from ever knowing the truth,
As for the corruption, we already know that part

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The EU will prevent us from ever knowing the truth,
As for the corruption, we already know that part

i have a question for you Infinite

How can you support the Lib Dems when they are the most pro-EU party in Britain?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
i have a question for you Infinite

How can you support the Lib Dems when they are the most pro-EU party in Britain?

UK Wizard, that is a very good point

Why do i support a Pro-EU party
well Europe is where our future should be, but i dont agree with a United States Of Europe. Even though im not in love with the EU, UK, France and Germany are the top countries in the EU so why leave something that we have major influence in? No matter what happens, we will end up joining it either now or later...But if we do join, it should be on our say

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

No matter what happens, we will end up joining it either now or later...But if we do join, it should be on our say

Why is it inevitable that we will join the Euro at some point? The British public, and British business have always been against it 2:1, and that hasn't changed since the idea was proposed.

There's nothing inevitable about it!

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
Why is it inevitable that we will join the Euro at some point? The British public, and British business have always been against it 2:1, and that hasn't changed since the idea was proposed.

There's nothing inevitable about it!

Sorry, but there are powers at play across Europe.
We will join at some point

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Sorry, but there are powers at play across Europe.
We will join at some point

Those powers you speak of are strong yet brittle,

It will only take one of the top five European countries to withdraw from the EU and the others will follow, the great mass of the EU needs alot of money to support itself and without the financial backing of any one of the top five countries it will collapase in on itself

i shall welcome that day

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Infinite,

Inevitiable? Even with a 68 % No vote? There'd be riots at least, if not full blown civil war. In the very least we would see the UK become like NI was in the 20th century We DO live in a democracy, which means we DO get to decide.

Seriously don't let the "powers that be" intimidate you. They WANT you to think it's inevitable so you sign up now.

If you want to join the Euro, then fair enough, but please infinite, just promise me one thing. If you are against joining the Euro, then vote against it...WE have the choice.

[edit on 11/9/04 by muppet]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
Even with a 68 % No vote? There'd be riots at least, if not full blown civil war. We DO live in a democracy, which means we DO get to decide.

Seriously don't let the "powers that be" intimidate you. They WANT you to think it's inevitable so you sign up now.

If you want to join the Euro, then fair enough, but please infinite, just promise me one thing. If you are against joining the Euro, then vote against it...WE have the choice.

well said muppet

we have a choice and that choice should be GET OUT OF THE EU

the Lib Dems are for EU intergration

you may like the standard Lib Dem policy infinite , but do you want to live in a EU controlled Britain???? Because that's the path the Lib Dems want to take

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I personally don't have a problem with someone supporting the LibDems as such.. they may be pro-Euro, but then so is Labour, and even the Tories to an extent.

The thing to remember is the In/Out of the Euro will be decided by referendum. It's not a case of "a vote for LibDem is a vote for the Euro".. it isn't.

Once we have voted and emphatic NO, the Euro debate will be over, and we can get on with building a future for Britain. Even the LibDems won't be pro-Euro after that.... why alienate 68% of the British public before you've even started? Where's the political sense in that?

As I've mentioned before, there is, IMHO, a tacit agreement between parties NOT to make the Euro a partisan issue.

[edit on 11/9/04 by muppet]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Funnyily enough, I support Lib Dem cause of their domestic policies. When it comes to voting, i vote for domestic issues not European.......

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join