It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 5741: Mandatory 2 year Service to Federal Government

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Mandatory service is the same as slavery. Many of us work long hours. Take care of our children and families, and support our country, in very small ways every day. The biggest fundamental issue, is that we may not agree with what our, corrupt, driver of the wagon, "while we are the horses"govenment, would want us to do. In your opinion: If I refuse to serve the government for two years, because of my dislike of the government, and my dissagreement with what they are doing, should I go to jail? Should I not be allowed to work? What is your plan to enforce this? Just want to know what to prepare for.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Question to all you people against mandatory service:

Just before you close your eyes to go to sleep at night and on an off chance you remember all those other American's giving, sacrificing, suffering, and yes, some dying - just for you? Do you sleep well?

IMO - Mandatory 2 years would be one of the best things that could happen to the USA.

I mean it's not like almost every other Country out there hasn't had to do the same.

About time the majority of American's had to start GIVING something back to their Country, SACRIFICING something for others instead of just sitting back complaining about it.

I also believe there should be other ways of serving.
2 years of taking care of Veterans in your area.
2 years of helping underprivileged, low income handicapped, etc.
24 months of SOMETHING to help those around you.
Or just 24 months of butt busting give-it-all-or-break-your-balls service.
Take your pick.

Flame that.

I mean why should FREEDOM come for free to some and not to others?

peace

EDIT = Spelling error

[edit on 27-7-2010 by silo13]

See, again, this is the problem, people do NOT understand PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!

BE responsible for yourself and your family, if everyone did this, we wouldn't need as many police, we wouldn't need standing armies and we would all live free and happy.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!!

People have become SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dependant on a fake and fraudulent "government" that they live in fear AND BEG to be governed and CONTROLLED.

Come on already. Be responsible and keep your nose out of everyone elses business, communism is dead and I hope it stays that way!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

By the way, I wanted to everyone a quote by Mark Twain:

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it." Mark Twain

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Zamini i was responding to someone else. Who used the same bs line with me.

And Btw. there are a great number of people who willingly want to serve this country. And if I had to do things over again. I would join the military. Though I would go to college first and go in as an officer. I'm 37 and have 2 kids now. It's a bit late for me.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bayou Bullet

Well. I think that mandatory service would make people have loyalty to the country. Getting people out there makes them realize a large community perspective and in turn perhaps hate the government more for causing it.

I fully favor this bill. We really should have mandatory service to make people work for the nation they live in and realize their responsibilities. DO you really think those children who sit and do nothing in front of abuse would still do nothing after doing community service in areas where you help the abused one on one?

If we need a compromise, then perhaps this service would clear your debts. I know that makes it sound like slavery or indentured servitude. But in the end, we are all smart enough to know not to treat someone as slaves. And any such action would go to the courts. In 2 years they would be cleared, have a skill, and a new life. It really is a good aspect if we can somehow solve the problems of treating indentured servants as slaves. For they are not. They are people who made a mistake, lost their money, and need to work for 2 years to pay it off.

In the end, it is an interesting idea. It does border on slavery and so these are dangerous grounds to talk about. But still. All the great superpowers and republics of old had something like this. Perhaps they lasted longer because of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
SEC. 102. NATIONAL SERVICE OBLIGATION.

(a) Obligation for Service- It is the obligation of every citizen of the United States, and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a period of national service as prescribed in this title unless exempted under the provisions of this title.

The part in bold is what makes me nervous. "and every other person residing in the United States" this would make it mandatory for those "displaced foreign workers" to also serve in the obarmy....
Btw: I am not opposed to the idea of conscription. As an ex-soldier I think that every citizen should serve his country if he loves his freedom. My objection is that the wording implies that even foreign nationals may be called against their will to serve in a country to which they hold no loyalty.
Never a good scenario when you count on soldiers who aren't committed to your cause.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by palg1]

Anyone else find this kind of odd?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Ask any Vietnam Vet, who was drafted, and who is now walking around on the streets searching for food in dumpsters, talking to themselves, and waking up screaming every morning of their lives, whether forced Government service was a good thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Even a guilded cage is still a cage. What this reads and is very reminiscent of is a draft. It is not asking for people to service their country, it is demanding such and I would not advise anyone to follow such, as the draft was ended by a mandate of congress at the request of the president of the United States of America. This is not going to go over well, many of the older people who were and do remember the draft, will be irrate and hit the roof. One of the things that made this country great, was that it is all volunteer. But doing this, then they can use the people as they see fit, to where they are there to pick up what the military does not do, or to supplimental such.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I would love to know what those safeguards are. For instance...We had a militia talking really tough last week about exterminating the Zetas.

Oops.

It looks like the Zetas took over two texas ranches without a shot fired.

As soon as those safeguards are put into place, please let me know.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

See, again, this is the problem, people do NOT understand PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!

BE responsible for yourself and your family, if everyone did this, we wouldn't need as many police, we wouldn't need standing armies and we would all live free and happy.

I fail to see how my points led you to make the above remark. I emphasized underprivileged and handicapped, not freeloaders.

I completely agree. Be responsible for yourself, your family - and YOUR COUNTRY. Yeah, I added on the last bit.

We would still need armies, sorry to say, and we'd still need police, and we'd still need people to help those who truly cannot help themselves, and to give more to the US veterans, etc.

As an added note - which I suppose I should add to my first post to clear up a lot of gnashing teeth, it's my opinion the two years should be severed directly out of high school if the person in question is not going to college.

peace

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Flame that.

I mean why should FREEDOM come for free to some and not to others?

Thank you! I will!

Freedom ain't free - I pay more in taxes each year than the average American earns. I donate more of my income than most Americans pay in taxes. I donate more of my time to my community in one year than most contribute in a life-time. But you know what? I do it because I WANT TO, not because I am forced to. And you know what else? Just because I do it doesn't mean I think even for a second that the government has the authority to do so or should do so.

Read the 13th Ammendment for cripes sake! Involuntary servitude is ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Here is how you can read the actual text from the SOURCE (US Congress).
Since search results are not directly 'linked' to by "Thomas" (congressional bill search engine) you must begin at the 'portal' here ...
thomas.loc.gov...
Once there, simply enter the CORRECT bill name, in this instance, "Universal National Service Act". It will take you to the actual bill's "Summary & Status" page. From there you can check, in REAL-time, it's current status as well as click onto other links pertaining to it including it text.

Keynote: This bill has NO "co-sponsors" as of noon today CDT. Without a co-sponsor it will die somewhere along the sub-committee process.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Texian]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
MyoMy...so many want to live in this Country but don't want to defend it. Too bad they don't eliminate Text Messaging, Playstation3, a Bag of Pot, a Rice Burner with Nitrous, Student Loans, Skate Boards and most of these parasites would be in Mental Rehab for most of their lives. What we really need in this Country is an invasion by foreign troops starting in California with the Chinese, or on a more humane level an earthquake to drop that real estate in the drink. Then we could have the Russians invade the East Coast and bitchslap all the liberals into the Atlantic while they're calling out for Mommy and a medic for more Kool-Aid. Take take take is all the newer generation of Leeches want to do because that's all they're good at, what these people should do is find another country without an armed force and then they would have nothing to cry about.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I agree, freedom comes to those willing to work for it. Whether it be financial freedom, freedom from government, doesn't matter, you have to work for it. If you are lazy and apathetic, you will never be free period.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

Trust me I am more than willing and able to defend my country, my property, and my family. Though I'm not willing to have the politicians (who will never fire a weapon) tell me that I need to go to war, not for my country, but for them.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If the bill were drafted to take all aspects into account then I would support this. I am not a deeply patriotic person but I believe we all should serve and support our nation and be trained for times of emergency and requirement. I however believe in free will as much as I do freedom and if said people(s) are called up it should be written in that if they object to military service they have the right to decline and serve in a more civilian capacity. It's of course my own disillusion I speak of but hey, we wouldn't even have to ponder it in a perfect world.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm not American but I stand on the side of being given a choice to choose to serve in war or not to. If my own country, Canada, ever did this I would be disgraced. Ever citizen should be able to choose if they will risk their life for their country. Its every citizens right to freely choose what they do, by mandatory conscription you remove that right to freedom.

I'm all for pride and serving your country but really mandatory military conscription? I don't support wars, and I want to choose which wars to fight. I would not serve in Iraq however if some crazy guy decided to start pulling a WWII Hitler move yeah I'd support the troops. Again I'd be not likely to fight since I don't like violence, but hey there are other ways to help.

Xiamara

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I found the actual pdf of the bill at the GPO (Government Printing Office) website for those who would like to download and attach it to emails.

frwebgate.access.gpo.gov...:h5741ih.txt.pdf

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PJAmerica

If this is the case, what would you choose to do? Better yet, why haven't you already volunteered to do it? Do you need the government to tell you, that you have to do it? Amazing how people have a deep seeded need to be told what to do. If you believe that you can help your country, do it. There, I told you to do it, now you're safe.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Well, I understand your point, so, I am not going to attack you, rather propose something for you to consider.

First and foremost, Obama is not suggesting this for just "the younger people." Apparently, this extends to people up to and past 40 years of age.

Number 2. Being a contributing member of society does not have to entail military service. There are people all over this country who contribute daily who haven't sold their souls into the bondage of war, greed, and corruption in order to maintain our way of life.

Number 3. The principle of choice would be infringed upon. And, this is the very thing that America was supposed to represent. (Although, it never has really lived up to this idea whatsoever.)

Number 4. If a person does not agree with the war that they would be forced to be involved, it would be highly unlikely that this would be a good scenario for the war itself, or the soldiers who voluntarily enlisted. If I was forced to join the military, I would be just as likely to shoot my commanding officer just for barking orders at me as I would the "enemy" who has never shown me an ounce of aggression. I'm sorry guys, but the Taliban and Al Qaeda are planted boogeymen, and I have yet to see one of them posting in my backyard to plant an IED.

Number 5. Many of us are sick of war to begin with, and because of actions like these, our country is failing economically as well as socially, politically, and litigiously. Our country is running a bad quotient that can only get worse. The question is, "Do you want to feed this quotient?"

Number 6. You are inferring that this country is somehow enjoying "freedoms" while many of those "freedoms" are being stomped upon right before our very eyes. When the cops stop tasering 5 year olds and 80 year old grandmothers attached to life support, then maybe some more of us would be happy to enlist, as opposed to "forced" to participate.

Number 7. If you yourself do not agree with the wars that we are in, what makes you think someone else who may also not agree with these wars wants to be "forced" to serve in them?

Those are some thoughts for you...

Namaste and Love

[edit on 27-7-2010 by PsychoX42]

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join