reply to post by Nathan-D
The one done in 2009
If I've missed them, do you mind naming any of these mass surveys?
by Peter Doran from UIC is where the 97% figure comes
It found that the more a persons actual knowledge and education about climate change increases, the higher the consensus becomes over human-caused
global warming being real.
So while only slightly more than 50% of the general public believe it's real, this number jumps to around 90% once you survey actual climatologists.
The figure then goes all the way up to 97% when you ask climatologists who specifically study and publish on climate change itself.
This explains a lot.
The 50% figure explains why there's so much noise over climate change being a hoax, while the reality is completely different.
For example - the people constantly running around ATS so sure of themselves that it's not a big deal because "climate change is a natural cycle"
are the ones who don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about. They think the answer is so obvious, but they never bother to consider
the fact that in real science you don't just get by with a simple observation - you also need an explanation
of that observation.
Previous examples of natural changes like ice ages have satisfactory explanations - usually rooted in
orbital variations of the Earth
. In the case of the extreme warming of the last century,
and particularly that of the last 30-40 years - there is NO explanation other than human influence. All those insinuations that it's "because of the
Sun" have been thoroughly debunked by the people who actually study
. So anyone still trying to tell you this phantom claim either:
a) once again doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
deliberately trying to decieve you
So the 90% figure then explains why most of the other 10% so-called "experts" trying to tell you there is no consensus are usually just glorified
fame-seeking weathermen like Anthony Watts
or John Coleman who have no real training or
understanding of the science. Coleman by the way is responsible for the "32,000 scientists against global warming" propaganda, which I'm sorry to
tell you is itself a complete HOAX
There are no 30,000 scientists and 9000 PhD's. Anyone who wants
to can add their name to that fake list
. The truth is that every time these people try this sort of sh** with real scientists
they completely embarass themselves
. So all they
have left are lies and denier statements pushed out by Big Oil funded think tanks that are repeatedly
proven to be the real scam
What you have left is the 97% of real
climate change experts who affirm the reality of human caused global warming. And if you seriously think
these people are all lying because of "Climategate" start understanding that in fact Climategate itself was (surprise, surprise!) nothing but a
There have been 3 independent investigations
now done into the matter which all exonerated the scientists involved. All these stories you
heard about "hiding the decline" were just deliberately out of context soundbites that have since been
Virtually everything you've heard about this "scandal" has come from right wing mainstream media or denier funded blogs that are deliberately
trying to exploit your paranoia over climate change. So stop listening to the scammers and start protecting yourself by denying ignorance.
Conservative media hype misleading report suggesting CRU destroyed raw climate data
The Real Hoax Was Climategate
'Climategate' Claims, but Damage Still Done
The Consensus on Global Warming: From Science to Industry & Religion