It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World on course for hottest year since 1880

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

Sorry for the off topic, but I had to say the Hitchhikers...books were written by Douglas Adams, NOT L. Ron Hubbard (the money lovin loon).

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I know L ron didnt write that i was making reference to holding a point of view with such vigor based on what somebody wrote as fiction.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I can confirm it doesn't get this hot in the summer in Indiana. We have had several days of 113 heat index. Its unbearable to be outdoors or to not have ac. I knew we were having heat advisories on the US east coast but I didn't know it was world wide. I hate to think of whats to come.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe
This is who funds climate change denial:

ExxonMobil (1998-2008): $6,588,250 ($389,250 more than reported in 2009)
Koch Foundations (1985-2008): $17,572,210 ($13,133,290 more than reported in 2009)
Scaife Family Foundations (1985-2008): $16,352,000
($20,516,640 less than reported in 2009*)
Total Funding 1985-2008: $40,512,460

A bunch of oil and gas industry.

numbers from www.desmogblog.com...

There seems to be a whole s**tload of money waiting for those who call climate change a hoax. How much are you getting? Maybe if you email your post to the right people, then you too can get some corporate payolla.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

The point was referring to deforestation to raise cattle thus making more burps and farts...
The main point is earth cycles...warm periods give way to cool periods...they come about every couple hundred years or so...

I agree stop polluting to make air quality better but our climate is not affected by Co2 or cow farts...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
In elementary science class I learned that plants need Co2...They breathe it in and convert it to oxygen...

Since when does such a natural source such as a cow cause global warming? THats the most rediculous thing i ever heard...Say it out loud it sounds rediculous.

The planet is going through its cycles...thats it...This global warming thing is totally and completely a money making marketing scheme...They have you fooled...How many ""green" products have you bought in the past 10 years??? Bet youve made purchase decisions based on what they told you about greeness of the product.

Plants do need co2, but they don't need the mass amounts that we're pumping into the atmosphere, combine that with deforestation, and there isn't enough trees to suck up all the co2, you also have other greenhouse gases that contribute like methane.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The point was referring to deforestation to raise cattle thus making more burps and farts...
The main point is earth cycles...warm periods give way to cool periods...they come about every couple hundred years or so...

I agree stop polluting to make air quality better but our climate is not affected by Co2 or cow farts...

Here, please read this link, it might help explain better how Co2 can effect the climate.
www.wisegeek.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

How much money and where is it coming from to support global warming?

Pair that info with the leaked emails from "The Center of Climate Change Disinfo"

People that were supposedly giving factual information to support climate change didnt believe it themselves...but they got paid!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

reply to post by pthena

How much money and where is it coming from to support global warming?

Pair that info with the leaked emails from "The Center of Climate Change Disinfo"

People that were supposedly giving factual information to support climate change didnt believe it themselves...but they got paid!

Where did the scientists say in the emails that they didn't believe climate change?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Youre right...a link to a page that is 90% google ads has changed my mind...

Come on...I mean im all about planting trees...Im a member of the arbor foundation...Theres alot of this world we havent even discovered yet...vast amounts of forest...

ITS A MARKETING SCHEME!!!! BUY GREEN AND PAY HIGHER POLLUTION TAXES!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Youre right...a link to a page that is 90% google ads has changed my mind...

Come on...I mean im all about planting trees...Im a member of the arbor foundation...Theres alot of this world we havent even discovered yet...vast amounts of forest...

ITS A MARKETING SCHEME!!!! BUY GREEN AND PAY HIGHER POLLUTION TAXES!!!!

I take it you ignored the letters and instead gawked at the google ads?

Yes, people are making money off of global warming, just like people make money off of oil, war, famine and disease.
Welcome to humanity, we're greedy.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Call me a filthy capitalist...Oil companies sell a commodity...they drill for it, refine it and sell it...Wars in the past have either stabilized or completely destroyed economies...wars make jobs (although you wouldnt know it today)

Global warming is an idea and a lie to scare people into buying a product and make them want to give more money to the government...Making money off of providing a service or a product that people want is capitalism...Making money off of lies and deceptions is the work of communism...or some other evil political ideaology

I read that whole article and it was written well but it lacked any sort of source for statistics and facts...I can write an essay that completely debunks that guys essay...BTW he said water vapor is a greenhouse gas too...H2o they took our jobs! Derk ah durr!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Call me a filthy capitalist...Oil companies sell a commodity...they drill for it, refine it and sell it...Wars in the past have either stabilized or completely destroyed economies...wars make jobs (although you wouldnt know it today)

Global warming is an idea and a lie to scare people into buying a product and make them want to give more money to the government...Making money off of providing a service or a product that people want is capitalism...Making money off of lies and deceptions is the work of communism...or some other evil political ideaology

I read that whole article and it was written well but it lacked any sort of source for statistics and facts...I can write an essay that completely debunks that guys essay...BTW he said water vapor is a greenhouse gas too...H2o they took our jobs! Derk ah durr!

And what sources have you brought? I'd love to see that essay

The majority of the world believes in climate change due to the increase in temperature that correlates to co2 output, so, please let's see your debunking.
I also like that you consider war better than climate change, you don't happen to work for an oil company, do you?

[edit on 26-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I find the large numbers on ATS of climate change deniars to be rather odd. I seem to remember that the US did not sign on to the Kyoto Agreement because of the cost to US industry, since the US was the largest emitter of greenhouse gasses at the time. That was toward the end of the Clinton administration.

Enter the Bush Administration, and science went into the shredder in favor of Faith Based handing over of all things environmental to Energy sector Corporations thru the swinging door. Of course 200,000 year old co2 samples gathered from Antarctica could easily be laughed away because every one "knows" the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

The reason, as I see it, that climate change denial still thrives in the US are these:

1) Other countries seem to be ahead of the US in understanding this. All Americans "know" that they lead in all things good. Therefore global warming must be bogus.

2) The UN actually has a council on climate change. All Americans "know" that the UN only exists so that the rest of the world can keep America down. Therefore climate change is an evil plot against America.

3) If Americans admit that human contributed global warming is real, then they would feel guilty about not changing their life styles. All Americans "know" that they are righteous and need never feel guilty about anything. Therefore climate change denial is Patriotic.

It's just a lot of hubris. Hubris doesn't tend to lead to anything good.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Global Warming or not.....
Sunspots or not.......
Galactic Center or not....

...pump energy into a system and you get......

.....higher spikes, both above and below zero.......Winter and Summer...

The energy we are releasing has been bundled up below the Earth and has not been part of the system. For the last 100 years or so, we have been releasing it, we have been adding energy to the system.

If you really want to believe that our current civilization doesn't have an impact on the global climate, you must be extremely narrow-minded, or extremely well-paid-off

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by posterboy

The energy we are releasing has been bundled up below the Earth and has not been part of the system. For the last 100 years or so, we have been releasing it, we have been adding energy to the system.

Yes, that's it exactly. The favorable to human life conditions we have enjoyed for the last 65,000 years were predicated upon large quantities of oil and coal buried deep in the earth. By pulling these out of the earth and burning them we are eliminating those conditions. We are killing ourselves.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Cows can digest things we can't, especially including the cellulose in grass and grain. They do this by maintaining cultures of microorganisms in their complicated series of "stomachs" that can break down cellulose. The cows then digest the microbes and the sugars and fatty acids they produce.
Some of these microbes produce methane (CH4). Some of the other microbes can use that methane as food, but a certain amount of it escapes as belches or farts (mostly belches). (Some people have microbes in their guts which produce methane, and thus their farts also contain methane--but nothing compared to the amount cows produce.

So cattle are responsible for about 3.5% of US greenhouse gas emissions, on a CO2 equivalent basis. To keep this in perspective:
2% of greenhouse gas production is in the form of methane from garbage decomposing in landfills.
Roughly 2% is chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) from air conditioners, refrigerators and industrial processes.
Other industrial processes (especially cement manufacture) produce about 2%.
Burning jet fuel accounts for more than 3%.
12% of greenhouse gas emissions are CO2 emitted generating electricity which is used in residential applications like lighting, TVs, computers, and refrigerators.
17% came from burning gasoline in cars and trucks.
So cow farts and burps do contribute some to greenhouse gases, and thus to global climate change. But they are not a major cause. Nonetheless, improvements in fertilizer use and waste management in agriculture could reduce the cow-related burden on our atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
i feel like i'm missing out on summer.

its "cold" here...at least for july.
at night, pants, in sacramento, unbelievable! :'(
but i feel bad for the rest of the world...wish i could share my cool breezes with them.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Yes, that's it exactly. The favorable to human life conditions we have enjoyed for the last 65,000 years were predicated upon large quantities of oil and coal buried deep in the earth. By pulling these out of the earth and burning them we are eliminating those conditions. We are killing ourselves.

I agree that we are changing our environment. I just don't think we are killing ourselves.

What if releasing co2 is actually a good thing? Certainly doesn't fit with the whole doom and gloom scenario does it?

Imagine a future where mankind, after bankrupting itself to go "green", finds it necessary to burn off our fossil fuels in an attempt to stave off an ice age. I can see it.

Life on earth thrived with ten times the co2 we see now.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippoThe majority of the world believes in climate change due to the increase in temperature that correlates to co2 output, so, please let's see your debunking.

Really? Any mass surveys done? When did we vote? Did I miss it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join