It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World on course for hottest year since 1880

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

World on course for hottest year since 1880

www.telegraph.co.uk

The world is on course for the hottest year since records began in 1880 after record-breaking temperatures in four of the first six months of the year, according to meteorologists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Washington endured its hottest June since records began in 1872, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. So did Miami. Atlanta suffered its second-hottest June, and Dallas had its third hottest.

Yet when United States senators and their aides file into work on Wednesday, on yet another 90-degree day, they may be on the verge of deciding to do approximately nothing about global warming. The needed 60 votes don't seem to be there, at least not at the moment.

According to NASA, 2010 is on course to be the planet's hottest year since records started in 1880. The current top 10, in descending order, are: 2005, 2007, 2009, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2004, 2001 and 2008.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hey, summer is hot.

Must be global warming.

This winter we had huge snowstorms and the snow covered states that had not seen snow cover in decades. One satellite photo had snow cover down into Mexico. Now, the pundits came out and said that is not an indicator that there was no global warming.

BUT, now during the summer we have high tempatures and that is an indicator of global warming.

PLEASE!

Oh well, the global warming propaganda in not even necessary anyway. The US government is going to sidestep congress and go with EPA mandates anyway. What does a dictatorship controlled from behind the curtain need representatives for anyway?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
not that I am trying to turn this into a Global Warming thread/debate, but what happened in 1880?

I don't think we were anywhere near as industrialized as we are today. I wonder what meteorological events took place to cause such a warm summer?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It's getting hotter because of this:

upload.wikimedia.org...

Same correlation.

For whatever reason, less sunspots means hotter weather.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Gorman91]

link   
Has anyone checked the Solar output?

Maybe the sun is starting to wake up

link   
Tbh lets be real, its the waste we burn, fuel we waste and dont forget the cows, where killing the earth, its not good for anyone, im alittle sick of not being able to sleep at night due to the weather.

and if you ask me its to late to change any of this, its our fault, let us take the punishment for it.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Given methane is 25 times more potent than CO2
www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

And given all the high level of methane, and vapours still being released by the Gulf Spill, I wonder if the spill could have anything to do with it?

Or is another hottest year on record, plus natural methane production (already being accelerated by recent warming) just a coincidence? The funny thing is that sudden rises in global temperature, (caused by accelerating methane release) have almost certainly triggered ice-ages in the past i.e. to the point where so much ice is being melted, that it shuts down the gulf stream, and therefore brings a chill to the global weather system.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Originally posted by network dude
not that I am trying to turn this into a Global Warming thread/debate, but what happened in 1880?

1880 is when they began recording reliable temperatures.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Originally posted by Gorman91

That's not right is it? The maunder minimum was a period of very few sunspots, which coincided with the mini ice age in the graph you showed. The correlation works the opposite way round from what you said.

Maunder minimum

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Karilla]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

I shall go check the graph. That might be the wrong one.

thanks for the heads up.

EDIT

corrected.

The last hottest records they claim was when solar activity was lower.

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
reply to post by Gorman91

Originally posted by Gorman91

That's not right is it? The maunder minimum was a period of very few sunspots, which coincided with the mini ice age in the graph you showed. The correlation works the opposite way round from what you said.

Maunder minimum

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Karilla]

Yup ,.. what Karilla said
I just dont understand why people cannot understand or maybe I should say differentiate the causes of a warmer planet..
The planet is getting warmer
all the glaciers are receeding
what is there to argue

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This is a new article, but the story itself isn't new.

World simmers in hottest year so far

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
In elementary science class I learned that plants need Co2...They breathe it in and convert it to oxygen...

Since when does such a natural source such as a cow cause global warming? THats the most rediculous thing i ever heard...Say it out loud it sounds rediculous.

The planet is going through its cycles...thats it...This global warming thing is totally and completely a money making marketing scheme...They have you fooled...How many ""green" products have you bought in the past 10 years??? Bet youve made purchase decisions based on what they told you about greeness of the product.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It's been a very mild summer where I live. Hot days yes, plenty of cooler than normal ones too. Don't go spouting off the mouth about global warming because there was a hot streak. You're playing into the wrong people's game. Pray that our government does nothing about it, because all they will succeed at doing is raising the price of everything you need to live. No solutions, just higher taxes, and higher-cost goods/services.

We are mere specs on this planet who can get hotter and colder without our help or influence, thank you very much.

Go fight air-quality or pollution maybe, but not climate change...bs.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Hells yea lets just say the weather is intense regardless and who knows when we may experience another unrelenting extreme to push us on the edge of survival.

Extreme heat and radiation or freezing ice age. Either way wouldn't you think one of those scenarios are bound.....just would be sweet is all to have massive refuge colonies to survive through.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Your_Number_One_Fan
Hells yea lets just say the weather is intense regardless and who knows when we may experience another unrelenting extreme to push us on the edge of survival.

Extreme heat and radiation or freezing ice age. Either way wouldn't you think one of those scenarios are bound.....just would be sweet is all to have massive refuge colonies to survive through.

HAHAHA

Dumass...I cant wait to live in a refuge colony...actually it pisses me off when my power goes out and i cant play call of duty...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

Since when does such a natural source such as a cow cause global warming? THats the most rediculous thing i ever heard...Say it out loud it sounds rediculous.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, can't remember which edition, stated that the civilization on Earth collapsed due to cow burps and farts.

Methane gas is a more potent green house gas than CO2. Combine deforestation for cattle pasturing with the cow burps, you get not just a double whammy, but something more like a quadruple whammy.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy???

I wonder how L. Ron is doing on his eternal spaceship?

Take a look at a picture of earth from orbit...the land parts are all green and the water parts are all blue...not black and white (cows) and black (oil)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy???

I wonder how L. Ron is doing on his eternal spaceship?

Take a look at a picture of earth from orbit...the land parts are all green and the water parts are all blue...not black and white (cows) and black (oil)

I don't understand the relevance.
Greenhouse gases ARE a problem, regardless of whether or not we can see them from space.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join