It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wikileaks 'source': Former army analyst facing 52 years in prison

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
reply to post by brill

Or, his actions maybe the breaking point toward the absolute withdrawal from a country the US and NATO forces have no business being in. Thinking of how many lives he would be SAVING then. Of course long term thinking isn't a specialty for many who post on these forums. Much easier to jump on some emotional bandwagon and only think about immediate and often inconsequential reactions.

You honestly believe that? So much for "long term" thinking huh. No bandwagon here, nor emotion if that's where your comments were headed. Fact is the US is in Iraq for the long haul. Isn't one of her largest bases underway there now ? Please show me where the US has stuck her unwanted nose and hastily either retreated or completely backed out. Not gonna happen, the strategic advantages far outweigh any other notions. Same goes for Afghanistan.

Back to the issue though. Manning took an oath and the military courts will determine if he is guilty, not public sentiment laden with perceived injustice. He's done.

brill

[edit on 27-7-2010 by brill]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
reply to post by brill

I don't think releasing info about the location of IED attacks etc. in the past will put any soldiers currently over there in any more risk than they are already in.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by SUICIDEHK45]

True, however who's to say what other intel was released that could have future potential. Yes its a game of playing what if, but it is difficult to be certain.
brill

[edit on 27-7-2010 by brill]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

It wasn't an accidental walking off with a document that got mixed in with your other stuff in the document room. He deliberately did this, and it was very unlawful, and he got caught.

Technically speaking, in the grand scheme thing of things, hiding Jews in Nazi Germany was once very Illegal as well...

So.... Let's just hope our Government eventually goes through a giant overall, and eventually good people are placed in charge and this person is eventually released.

He's basically being tried for outing War Crimes that were being covered up. The only reason why this may hurt the troops, is people don't like Countries that take part in War Crimes (look up Nazis in a History book).

Can anyone not see see how ironic this is?

I just hope he's eventually released and doesn't serve the full time.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by squidboy]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

I still haven't seen any of these "war crimes" you speak of. If you find any please let me know.
thanks

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I still haven't seen any of these "war crimes" you speak of. If you find any please let me know.
thanks

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"They include at least 21 cases allegedly involving British forces which are said to have led to the deaths of at least 26 people, among them 16 children.

The disclosures have led to allegations that coalition forces may have committed “war crimes” in Afghanistan. "

Took one second to search and find one source. Google is amazing like that.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

It sounds to me that these civialians were accidentally killed. The crime here isn't the deaths of these civilians the crime is covering it up. Things happen in war, people die. We can't apply the same rules to these soldiers who are fighting everday for their lives, to you and I. That is the harsh reality of war.

I don't like that these wars are going on and people are dying, but we can't be turning soldiers into criminals because of accidents.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I don't like that these wars are going on and people are dying, but we can't be turning soldiers into criminals because of accidents.

We CAN avoid that.

Bring back those soldiers, let the Afghans kill among themselves, its their accident now.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by RainCloud]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
How is this different than the Pentagon Papers?

What'd I miss?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's been a couple of days for this news now. Enjoyed the positive feedback from my post.

Let's see what if anything has been learned. Well it now seems that hundreds of named sources within the war zones have been released for helping the "good guys" trying to win the war.

I wonder if it will make a rat's ass to anyone that considers Manning a person to aspire to, or will they now just consider him directly responsible for killing hundreds of innocent people that happen to be a family member to the named source. Just go ahead and consider the named source good as dead. But now to give you that warm fuzzy feeling from glorifying our new hero, I'm sure they will make the named person watch his children be tortured and beheaded and his spouse given that same treatment before beheading, but this is just A-OK because we have we have a clear conscience from releasing all this classified material. After all, clearly America is the bad guy here.

This is just one of the reasons why a stupid mo*her fu**er doesn't release jack. There are real consequences for stupid actions. These actions are geometrical in nature as the more is released, the more damage is done.

52 years would have looked good a couple of days ago. If his actions can be proven for the death of one source, he should hang for his actions. If a few of these sources show up dead, it's not a coincidence.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I wonder what other information might be leaked by other soldiers now that Bradley Manning is a "rockstar" in the media? Will soldiers release top secret info just to get out of the horrible wars going on? Some might see this as a better alternative than staying overseas continuing to go on combat missions.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I wonder what other information might be leaked by other soldiers now that Bradley Manning is a "rockstar" in the media? Will soldiers release top secret info just to get out of the horrible wars going on? Some might see this as a better alternative than staying overseas continuing to go on combat missions.

Somehow I don't think 25 years in Leavenworth is more appealing. Of course that is a matter of perspective. If you signed on the dotted line, best to abide by that agreement. If you don't like wars or the fact that they could impede on an otherwise free ride, best to seek employment elsewhere. Greenpeace Im sure is accepting.

brill

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

He should spend every minute of those 52 years behind bars.
We do not have the right to put peoples lives a t risk. Part of those intelligence reports include the source of the information. The people who put their lives on the line to help us gather information expect a certain amount of discretion in order to keep them safe.
That private has just killed a whole bunch of our informants and is guilty of their murder just as much as if he had pulled the trigger or placed the explosives that will cause their death.

No one has the political or ideological right to do that!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Here is an article that says Bradley Manning is openly gay, and because he was upset at the U.S. military's anti-gay policy, he released these documents. I don't know how credible this source is, but if this is the excuse of Bradley Manning's defense lawyers, they will not get very far.

www.rightsidenews.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join