It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Page advertisement before ATS Loads

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
reply to post by jfj123

READ the thread

How can anyone help you, if you don't help us?

What info would you like?

I can't help you if you don't tell me what kind of help you need.

And obviously it's not just me since someone made an entire thread about this issue.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
You gotta be freakin' kidding me!
I spent an hour trying to remove this redirect/pop up.

I found nothing with spybot-adaware-malwarebytes, then it hit me that only ats has the problem.

I guess I can surf ATS with linux, or perhaps I should do some time without ATS..It's like a sign when the advertising gets to this point, a message perhaps to take one step back, pull an about-face.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I have to question - if you have read that link which is in this same thread - as to whether you are being deliberately obtuse, because its spelled out very clearly there what SO needs to check this out further.

Obtuseness will not help this apparent problem to be resolved.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
reply to post by jfj123

I have to question - if you have read that link which is in this same thread - as to whether you are being deliberately obtuse, because its spelled out very clearly there what SO needs to check this out further.

Obtuseness will not help this apparent problem to be resolved.

The link took me to the beginning of the thread.
I scanned down and found this quote from SO

Next time someone receives this ad, please send me (u2u) a screen shot, along with the page you were on prior to seeing the ad.

Is this what you're referring to?
If so, are you telling me nobody has done this yet?

OK I've installed screen capture software. Next time it pops up, I'll upload a JPG of what I see to this page and I'll send it to SO.

Now to answer the other 2 questions:
The page I was on was the ATS homepage that I reloaded.
I was not on any other page prior.
I am using firefox 3.6.8

What else would you like to know?

PS I'm not obtuse....I'm more of a right triangle

[edit on 31-7-2010 by jfj123]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

...you dont have to "install" a screen capture utility...you computer comes with one built in - hence the "print screen" button on the keyboard...

here's a screen shot

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5be8d16ea896.jpg[/atsimg]

Click here to view full image

it just redirected me again, today...around 10:40 a.m. CST.

I do not have any 3rd party tools installed. I do not have malware, spyware, viruses, or anything of the sort.

I was not on any previous websites. Once google chrome loaded up - I simply clicked on the ATS button from the "most visited websites" page and poof, I had that ad pop up.

Unfortunately my brain was not working fast enough this morning, and i only thought about right clicking the picture to get a directory AFTER the ad closed its self (it only stays up a few seconds) but luckily i was alert enough this time to get a screeny.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I would like to add my complaint about this stupid ad.

I opened up a new tab, then BAM! hit with this stupid ad about some sure to be retarded show on NBC.

I dealt with that annoying ATS pop up ad on the home page for the last few weeks, but this is just ridiculous.

The only reasonable thing I can think of is that ATS is allowing their site to be redirected.

This must stop.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
able to find anything out w/ the screen shot?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
and so far, no response from ATS on this problem.

Wouldn't it be nice if we got a "Hey we're working on it. Please stand by" ???

I'm sure this is just part of ATS' new format. If it wasn't, they would have responded in some way, right??????

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I would not blame ATS for my problem had I not checked the history dates and times, however I can not be positive with the finger pointing.
I would have felt better if an ATS staffer had provided a cure, but I found one.
My full page add pop ups opened a second browser behind the viewed page, so you did not see the add till you closed your browser.

My Fix (Tried->MalwareBytes, ComboFix, Adaware, Super Anti Spyware

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

They do not care. I u2u'd skeptic the same day he posted regarding screenshots of both the advertisement and the page I had navigated from with no reply. Others have posted the screenshot in this forum and no reply. Money dictates everything, even the small timers here at ATS.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

Thanks for posting this.

I think the reality is that the ATS STAFF simply does not care
or
This ad was deliberately placed by the ATS STAFF.

If this is a rogue ad, and they were trying to fix the problem, you'd think they'd post some kind of quick note.

I don't have a problem with ATS advertising but they could do so in a much more user friendly manor which would keep money rolling in for them and keep their clients happy.

The thread was opened on July 26 and it's now August 6 and not even a peep from the staff.....REALLY ?????
12 days and nobody at ATS has a word to say?
Not a general u2u?
Not a quick 2 line post on this thread?
NOTHING ?!?!?!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Now I Got that sucker!

I was wrong, I did not fix it the first time, I only made it stop for a while.

I noticed that I could not update Malwarebytes once this full page pop up occoured, and that I could not update any of my computers on my home network. I searched for an open connection (thanks guy next door) and was able to update my laptop from his wireless. So now I know the problem is with my internal network (2 wireless access ports and 3 hubs).

Problem 1) I have a cheapo Netgear WGR614 v7 wireless router that was left open with no password. This router had the DNS Name server set to automatic, but when I looked at the setup screen, the DNS name server had been set to a specific address....freakin' hackers! So I set it to automatic, updated the routers firmware, and reset it.

Problem 2) Since The DNS name server changed, the regestry needed some tweaking as follows.
Open the regestry with start>run>regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM
Note that there are 4 control sets (current, 1, 2, and 3). on current, 1 and 2, navigate to services/tcpip/parameters/interfaces. There are some catagories with long letter and number codes, but within those is a place to set the DNS Name server, and iff you see numbers like this, just clear out the values (DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130).

I cleaned out the 192.168.0.1 entries too just to be safe, even though those are local router addresses.

After restarting, I was able to update MBAM, and found nothing screwy in the software.

Full screen pop ups be gone!...Ha

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join