posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:06 AM
Now I Got that sucker!
I was wrong, I did not fix it the first time, I only made it stop for a while.
I noticed that I could not update Malwarebytes once this full page pop up occoured, and that I could not update any of my computers on my home
network. I searched for an open connection (thanks guy next door) and was able to update my laptop from his wireless. So now I know the problem is
with my internal network (2 wireless access ports and 3 hubs).
Problem 1) I have a cheapo Netgear WGR614 v7 wireless router that was left open with no password. This router had the DNS Name server set to
automatic, but when I looked at the setup screen, the DNS name server had been set to a specific address....freakin' hackers! So I set it to
automatic, updated the routers firmware, and reset it.
Problem 2) Since The DNS name server changed, the regestry needed some tweaking as follows.
Open the regestry with start>run>regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM
Note that there are 4 control sets (current, 1, 2, and 3). on current, 1 and 2, navigate to services/tcpip/parameters/interfaces. There are some
catagories with long letter and number codes, but within those is a place to set the DNS Name server, and iff you see numbers like this, just clear
out the values (DhcpNameServer=220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168).
I cleaned out the 192.168.0.1 entries too just to be safe, even though those are local router addresses.
After restarting, I was able to update MBAM, and found nothing screwy in the software.
Full screen pop ups be gone!...Ha