It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sand Eruption? WTF??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I was looking around online and came across this interesting video of something I have never seen before. This is supposedly from the Saudi Arabian desert, but do not know what date it was from. I just thought I would share it and see if there was anyone who might have an idea about what may cause this to happen. By the look of all the vehicles stopped this must not be something that has happened before.

You can check it out here also..

www.liveleak.com...
this link is not working so please disregard.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by tsurfer2000h]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Wow, have never heard of this before! Interesting, perhaps sesmic activity.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

There is something really crazy going on all over this planet, but I am just dumbfounded as to what this is. I would love to see if someone can help me figure this out.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I believe that is Methane gas erupting, I read somewhere (sorry) that Methane from the deep oil works its way to the surface, that sand is the fine particulates being blown upwards when the Methane pressure hits the surface.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Crazy! I thought about earthquakes and sand shooting up maybe after some ground collapsed, like a sinkhole or something, but that stuff is geysering up like water. This is new to me, thanks for the post!

Peace

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
"Sand Blows" are common in Earthquake prone areas. The Sand Blows around the New Madrid fault are what led to a lot of the research of the fault line.

I don't know if there are possibly other causes, and I don't know if the Saudi desert is seismically active, but in general Sand Blows are very common.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Seems like there was a similar phenomenon in the early 1800's with the New Madrid quakes in the central US.
Edit to add
I am in agreement that this is most likely methane/oil related.

Either that or a spice bloom/ shai hulud type thingy.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by jefwane]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Here you go, existing thread from 2008 for same sand fountain.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also discusstion of sand blows and sand geysers in a Yellowstone Thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Its called a sand geyser, and it occurs as a result of seismic acitivity, according to the one line entry on wikipedia.

I found this article about evidenceof a sand geyser that orccurred in the US:

The sand geyser could have happened during the quake of 1886, which left cracks in the nearby tabby walls and laid waste to much of Charleston. It's more likely, though, that it happened 500 years earlier, Talwani said. He will take samples for carbon dating to find out.

Talwani has dug 115 of these trenches around the Lowcountry in the last 25 years. This is his first in the Summerville area. A pattern has emerged. Earthquakes strong enough to cause sand blows, which include the 1886 earthquake, hit the Charleston area about every 500 years.

Source

There is speculation in the blogosphere that this video merely shows muddy water, as sand tends to pile up. The low quality of the video doesn't rule this out.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I thank you for the info that all of you have given. I just thought it was an interesting thing to see since I have never seen it happen before. I did a search and it came up empty before I put it up. The one thing I did notice was the amount of pressure that it seems to have.
It must be crazy to witness this for the first time. It looks like the beginning to the movie Transformers. Very interesting to say the least.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

I wonder about something (and this is just me speculating here) with the problems in the gulf and the earthquakes that have seemed to be more frequent in places that just don't have them could this be a little sign that the earth is going through a bit of changing. I know it is probably not related in any way it is just alot of things seem to be happening more frequently lately. Just my speculating here.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I went to check out that thread you put up and the video has been deleted. I would like to checked it out. If it would have come back in the search I wouldn't have started this one. I just found this an interesting video of something I have never seen before.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Personaly, I'm happy you couldn't find it in the search. I had never seen something like this before!! Very very interesting.

Nice find! A sand geyser! Awesome!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It's a spice blow.

You can read about it here-Dune

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have done a little more checking into and have found that the geologist that investigated this sand fountain do not know what caused it. Here is a little of what wa reported on this. Link is at the bottom.

Suddently, a 9-meter fountain (geyser) apparead, in the Al-Ahsae City, Eastern Saudi Arabia.
Immediately, Armaco geological teams and scientists hurry to deal with this strange phenomenon, but they did not succeed in explaining what happened !
But they agreed on a theory (...) that these are -what so called- burdens of the Earth.
Allah said in the Quran : "And the earth throws up her burdens (from within)" 99.2
Some scientists said this phenomenon will lead to apparency of new materials, which will change the humanity way of life ...

tv.muxlim.com...

Looks like something big may come from this with the way these geologist are talking. Guess we have to wait and see.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
that looks well cool but that bloody racket!
if there is a reason for war in the middle east
it should be against this kind of music/vocal racket!

my ears are bleeding.get off the prayer tower already!

(joke) make love not war.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

Sorry about the music not my doing. It was on there already.Guess I should have put a warning on there about the music before watching it. that music is not my cup of tea either.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

I went to check out that thread you put up and the video has been deleted. I would like to checked it out. If it would have come back in the search I wouldn't have started this one. I just found this an interesting video of something I have never seen before.

I'm glad you put it up too!
Wasn't knocking your thread at all, just trying to post some more information. I am familiar with the Sand Blows from reading about all the evidence around the New Madrid Fault. I had never heard of one in Saudi Arabia, although there is so much myth and lore surrounding Persia that just about everything is represented.

Maybe something like this is the source for the myths of Genies rising from lamps? Imagine finding a beautiful piece of treasure in the vast desert. You pick it up, rub it to have a look, and then that geyser happens to go off! I'm sure you would make a run for it, and then tell people about a magical lamp and a demon genie!!
Of course, over some ale, with your buddies, you would embellish the story with 3 wishes, and some sexcapade and a flying carpet. You would leave out the part about soiling yourself and running and hiding.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Thats the lawn maintenance crew blowing sand out of a parking lot

Sand blows Iv heard of them now Iv finely seen one in action nice vid tsurfer

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

No problem I should have added it in at the beginning and just didn't. I think it is really intriguing that these geologist couldn't actually figure out what may have caused this gusher. It just goes to show that we are living in a time where things are happening and we don't know why. I have read a few things about there being a volcano under the Saudi desert at one time. I will see if I can find the piece I read and post it. It makes me wonder if that has something that could be contributing to this in some way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join