It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BlackBerries are threat to national security claims UAE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

BlackBerries are threat to national security claims UAE

www.telegraph.co.uk

It said that BlackBerry devices operate "beyond the jurisdiction" of national laws because they immediately send data abroad to be "managed by a foreign, commercial organisation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Title correction

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
A token penalty of 50 points has been deducted from your account for this action. Please, return to the post you made and remove all but a first-paragraph snippet, then the link to your source material. If you don't make this slight change to your post when you receive this message, you risk the removal of your post (staff will no longer edit these types of posts for members

is this site not a dictatorship???????????? idiots

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Athink]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
For a while there... I thought you were talking about the fruit blackberry.

Wonder when/if this sort of thing will happen in the US. Blackberries and iphones bypassing filters and whatnot they want to put up or after they try to disable the internet completley.

They most likley wouldn't dare. The populous really would be willing to fight if they messed with their precious iphone or blackberry.
They wont be able to twitter and facebook and whatever thing-a-ma-bob thing these kids do now. Revolution based on tantrums.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Definitely agree with you on bb units. Its also the most susceptible to cloning, well that was true up until the iphone made its debut.

Then again, the masses went blindly purchasing the untis without every understanding the exploits within the unit. I guess the same can be said for the i4 version. Its xmas all over again for phishing.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I live in the city where blackberries were created. I know the CEOs daughter.(barely) RIM, the producer of blackberry, is a major employer in this area. Although I would not doubt if the company itself is doing something to infringe peoples rights.

There are about 30 RIM buildings in this city. A lot are clumped, some spread out. Mostly offices.

And thats my 2 cents for ATS.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
While looking around on the internet i just found this, sorry its so long guys, im guessing its bed time reading material though

In a nut shell, the BlackBerry service is too public to be used. Let's be rational here, how would you feel if you knew the president used a public copy of WindowsXP on all his PCs, or if he used a public copy of Internet Explorer and Outlook? How warm and fuzzy would you feel about the security of our Gov’t secrets? Of course Obama would like to keep his Blackberry, who wouldn’t? BlackBerry’s without a doubt increase the users productivity and availability. However, for most users the security of the BlackBerry solution is just an after thought. Obviously, if you are the most powerful man on the planet your security posture becomes a bit more critical (understatement of the year). In this blog I will lay out 3 major reasons why the security risk is just to great to allow President Obama to keep his beloved BlackBerry.

www.networkworld.com...

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Mon Jul 26 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Why don't you just tell people that the place you live in, is Waterloo, Ontario? What's the big secret? Anyone can google it.

Let me tell you all, the BB software is crazy on security. We had an upgrade last weekend, and my BB and outlook could not synchronize for days, until we finally got all the security software and general software in place.

The Queen of England took a tour there recently!

The UAE obviously are not using them right, like a Facebook user. Use the settings correctly, and no prob. NEVER had 1 with my BB for over 2 years!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
if it locks the phone if it needs a update these stories are true then, they really are a security risk ooo

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

well BB and Iphone is a big thing here in the UAE, the ISP is promoting like crazy services with BB and Iphone, al most everyone here uses the BB even in the govt agencies..so not sure if this statement is really acurate, will check it out in the local newspaper tmr..

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well,

Aint no body gonna take my BB. I love it.

On to the next security breach.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well,

Aint no body gonna take my BB. I love it.

On to the next security breach.

Lol im all for the iphone, my fingers didnt fit the BB

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

To Lucidity and dgtempe

There is nothing wrong with BB's. I was a Nokia fan for almost 8 years, but when I got my BB here in Canada, I was converted. This is an amazing piece of tech, and why would the Pres of USA have 1, if it was insecure?? The only thing Obama has done right, is stick with BB

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by ~Lucidity

To Lucidity and dgtempe

There is nothing wrong with BB's. I was a Nokia fan for almost 8 years, but when I got my BB here in Canada, I was converted. This is an amazing piece of tech, and why would the Pres of USA have 1, if it was insecure?? The only thing Obama has done right, is stick with BB

Maybe hes a email sorta guy? lmao

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Athink

Maybe he knows that Canadian tech is better than US tech - Apple I-Phone has problems with connection, hold it "wrong", and no signal!!

Go RIM!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by Athink

Maybe he knows that Canadian tech is better than US tech - Apple I-Phone has problems with connection, hold it "wrong", and no signal!!

Go RIM!

lmao true say, im not defending Apple, because i don't know them, and yes there idiots for making such a massive mistake in the iphone, but all im saying is that i had the BB and it wasn't for me

Do what you enjoy.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
To heck with twitter n facebook! I'm here on ATS almost all day with my BB! Now you know the real reason they want to take them!!! Try n take me berry! I dare ya

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
this is bull they don't want you to use them because they afraid people will take photos audio or video of human rights violations and post them on u tube or send them to a news agency like cnn. it is so easy to send an email

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Something is going on here cos now India, along with others have jumped on the bandwagon

www.bbc.co.uk...

Proteus33 is on the right lines. This is about them not being happy that their people have privacy and anonymity and access to information and the ability to portray an uncensored picture of reality. Its about control.

top topics

join