It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Earthquakes in Yellowstone region for the last seven days

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by badgrammaman

It should start when the bohemian grove 'ritual' starts. Get rid of most of the TPTB and the fruits and nuts of California in one swipe....

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

yeah guys, quit stirring up trouble, scaring folks unnecessarily.
as an older person, i've noticed that usually we cannot really predict
things like this and we have not been around long enough keeping
records to see trends..they say it's harmonic tremors that indicate
something like a big eruption at hand. I do know this for sure, one
guy years ago saw the trouble coming in new york..of course he
did not know what was going to happen just knew that it was coming.
I just hope if they do think something is going to happen at yellowstorm
they will tell folks so they can leave voluntarily at least.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Three_moons
And as already mentioned, the University of Utah lists 3 Yellowstone earthquakes from today here.

Having said all that, I think the OP asked a reasonable question if "anyone recalled a stretch like this with no seismic activity" and the answer appears to be yes. It's happened before and there's been activity there today.

*scratches head*

Am I the only one who can read dates around here? I mean not to be a pain, but the real deal is:

The last recorded MICRO earthquake was on 7/23 .6 magnitude.

www.seis.utah.edu...

Read the dates of those three. There were no recorded quakes on 7/22, and before that it was one on 7/21 and one on 7/20, each of a mere .3 magnitude.

This means as of today, 7/26, that for 3 days (7/24, 7/25, and 7/26) there have not been any recorded micro quakes or small quakes.

So how unusual is that? If I had to characterize this occurrence, I would say that it is not rare, a touch unusual, not immediately expedient, worth a noting and quick forgetting, and probably about to be broken by a few more micro quakes tomorrow or the next day...

ETA: Either that or it is possible there has been micro activity there today and it just hasn't been listed yet. And knowing the UoU, that is entirely possible.

[edit on Mon Jul 26th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
SubPop79

Does a calm happen before an eruption? Yellowstone blowing is one thing I don't want to happen in my life time. I don't want temperatures to drop! I am a heat man! Also, the devastation...

Yes there is a scientific calm before an eruption. Your question sent me on a quest to find the answer. Here is what one scientist said in 2009 about the Mayon in the Philippines.

The Philippines' Mayon volcano may be showing less visible signs of unrest but this could be a deceptive calm before a deadly eruption, the chief government volcanologist said on Sunday.

LINK: www.terradaily.com...

This 7 day rest is interesting and something we should watch.

Melissa101

PS: OP; s and f. good find, good post. Simply ignore the ignorant.
Weather this be significant or not it is interesting and some of us appreciate the information and discussion.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Melissa101]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Opps, thanks for the correction TrueAmerican. I saw today's date on the map and thought the map was only showing quakes for today. I was actually looking for a weeks list on that site but couldn't find it.

Edited to add I included this info on my previous post.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Some information that suggests the current activity is normal.

The Yellowstone area is one of the most seismically active parts of the United States, but the frequency of earthquakes varies dramatically and is related to other events in this active volcanic system
(emphasis added by me)
USGS

There are often 1 to 20 earthquakes recorded in Yellowstone National Park every day.

USGS

It doesn't show a list but I found an animation of quakes in Yellowstone over the past week and it shows a total of 13 since July 19. Using this info in conjunction with the above info, we're within the range of normal activity

Would it be interesting, odd and noteworthy if there was no earthquakes within a weeks period of time? Yes. Is that what occurred? No. Why isn't the same information in multiply places where it should be? I don't know. Is the fact that we had relatively few earthquakes at Yellowstone this week cause for alarm? It doesn't appear that way according to USGS. Do we know, for a fact, what would occur prior to a super volcanic eruption? No.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Meh. I see a small microquake shortly before 9:16 Mountain time, just this morning. I'm not going to look back through days and days but I'd bet there are more. University of Utah often doesn't update for several days if there aren't anything but 0.x-1.x quakes to record. End of the week I bet you'll see a bunch of little yellow squares on the map. (Or you won't, if they are less than 1.0.

YMC webicorder (showing quake just before 9:16 on 7/26/10, go back a day if you're seeing this on 7/27)
www.quake.utah.edu...

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. It's calm.

Elsewhere in the world (including California) there have been plenty of earthquakes this week so I don't know where the idea that there haven't been came from. Not from anyone who actually gets things from primary sources.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I also see a very small cluster of microseismic events between 8:50 and 8:55 mountain time near the YLT (west thumb) station. So small they almost look like noise on YLT but you see small signatures on nearby stations.

None of these things are worth getting worked up about (or even really noticing in the normal course of events) I just point them out because it's not fair to say it's totally quiet.

Anyway, that's all. There's an absolutely gi-normous Yellowstone thread where we can discuss these things when they're worth talking about.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
don't know if this has been posted, but the people who supposedly found secret codes within the bible stated that yellowstone and 2010 and some other key words like "destruction" were found in pattern in a relatively confined space ( page or two)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

This strikes a chord. I remember around the mid-1990s, my mother was a big fan of The Bible Code, and she was talking about how in 2010, there would be a "worldwide earthquake" that originated somewhere in Yellowstone. However, thanks to countless failed predictions on ATS and elsewhere, I have very little faith in any predictions anymore, but still, you can't ignore your own mother, although it will be really satisfying come 2011 when nothing happens and I can rub it in.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
First kudos to Krzyzmo. It's always exciting to see a topic posted that I'm very interested in. I too don't specifically look for the areas that currently have an 'abundance' of quakes, rather I look at the areas known for an 'abundance' of quakes that seem eerily quiet at the moment. The calm before the storm if you will. Unfortunately for us when it comes to earthquakes I'm sure everyone knows, but I will restate it nonetheless, there are thousands of earthquakes all over the planet. When looking at areas with frequent earthquakes I don't believe that 7 days without an earthquake to be sufficient evidence that a 'big one' is coming. Areas all over our planet are constantly building up pressure, even in areas that don't frequently have earthquakes some of these areas have been building up pressure for hundreds of years, possibly even closer to thousands of years. They can go months even years only to release that pressure in a small quake barely record-able by current technological standards. Of course earthquakes aren't triggered only by pressure, there are many other aspects involved. But of course it's possible that so much pressure could build up in the earth's crust that a quiet of 7 days could lead to the 'big one', but it's also just as likely that it won't. Krzyzmo thanks for the awesome post, it made me do a lot of thinking.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Where's puterman when you need him???

Second line

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I'll be keeping an eye on this yellowstone situation, can't be having big things like that happening without forewarning.

Originally posted by dragnet53
reply to post by badgrammaman

Get rid of most of the TPTB and the fruits and nuts of California in one swipe....

So you want gay people to be wiped out, aren't you the nice stand up person.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Where's puterman when you need him???

Second line

ore wat to say of shirakawi with his exellent maps and grafics....:-(

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Maps and graphics of what? Nothing is going on.

This thread is driving me nuts.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The thing is, I've heard of periods of very low acivity in fault zones prone to side slip being a precursor of a major event (the calm before the storm that so many people have mentioned), but not in areas where the prime cause of sesmicity is vulcanism.

The earthquakes associated with volcanos are caused by movements of magma and have a different profile to quakes on fault zones.

If one plate is pushing against another at an oblique angle, the quakes occur due to the slippage along the fault and longer periods than usual in between tremors can show that stresses are building up and the release of those stresses are likely to be of a higher magnitude than usual.

I just don't think this applies to Yellowstone. An absence of seismic activity would seem to indicate that the ingress of magma into the chamber has slowed or stopped briefly. Surely this is a good thing, don't you think?

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Karilla]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Ain't got time to read the whole thread ( working , yeah right)but I just wanted to say...

"Quiet before the storm?".

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

If that thing actually did blow...the loss of life around the world would be no joke i can tell ya!

A lot of us would go the way of the Dodo, and not just in the states either.
The rest of us would probably have to survive another ice age in the Northern hemisphere.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I've been following this yellowstone thread for a while because if it were to go up as we all know, we're talking destruction of biblical proportions.

I used to follow a website, by jill. st. claire which was all terrorist chatter and spookingly enough they had a post called something about 'the yellowstone vision' where they spoke about it blowing..

her site is down due to lack of funding, her family had some unfortunate situations happen but i will see if i can dig an archive up, there are some sites that can bring up old pages, online or not..i'll take a look..cuz it was just odd.

take care everyone,

d.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Alright, it was found rather easily considering her site is back up, i had no idea..

Anyway, its enough to freak me out...this topic always has, what do the terrorists know that we don't?

www.homelandsecurityus.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join