It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fermi Paradox, Phase Changes and Intergalactic Colonisation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
An article from the Arxiv blog, titled The Fermi Paradox, Phase Changes and Intergalactic Colonisation

A new model shows how the spread of ET civilisations can undergo phase changes, providing a deeper insights into the Fermi Paradox

The result gives a new insight into the Fermi Paradox. Bezsudnov and Snarskii say that for certain values of these parameters, the universe undergoes a phase change from one in which civilisations tend not to meet and spread into one in which the entire universe tends to become civilised as different groups meet and spread.

A refresher on the Fermi Paradox

The Fermi paradox is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and the lack of evidence for, or contact with, such civilizations.

So the blog talks about a paper that revamps the fermi paradox with some new insights... like Fermi 2.0

Where is everybody? - Wait a moment… New approach
to the Fermi paradox.

The Fermi Paradox is the apparent contradiction between the high probability extraterrestrial civilizations' existence and the lack of contact with such civilizations. In general, solutions to Fermi's paradox come down to either estimation of Drake equation parameters i.e. our guesses about the potential number of extraterrestrial civilizations or simulation of civilizations development in the universe. We consider a new type of cellular automata, that allows to analyze Fermi paradox. We introduce bonus stimulation model (BS-model) of development in cellular space (Universe) of objects (Civilizations). When civilizations get in touch they stimulate development each other, increasing their life time. We discovered nonlinear threshold behaviour of total volume of civilizations in universe and on the basis of our model we built analogue of Drake equation.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
S+F Great post. Very Interesting ideas being presented.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XxZenTruthxX

Thanks, I thought it was nice to get a more modern concept of the Fermi Paradox.

A thread that is extremely relevant:
NASA's Deep Space Camera Locates Host of 'Earths'

Scientists celebrated Sunday after finding more than 700 suspected new planets -- including up to 140 similar in size to Earth -- in just six weeks of using a powerful new space observatory.

Early results from NASA’s Kepler Mission, a small satellite observing deep space, suggested planets like Earth were far more common than previously thought.

Past discoveries suggested most planets outside our solar system were gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn -- but the new evidence tipped the balance in favor of solid worlds.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Maybe the Universe is teaming with life, but that life just doesn't care to visit?

Or, what if it is just much, much harder to spread in space for some reason than we have suspected?

Or...

What if the aliens have come, and visit us all the time, but our minds are simply not able to understand this, so we are largely unaware of it happening?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicenico

Could be any one of them.

The latter is the most comprehensive 'conspiracy' IMO.

Not saying aliens have for sure been here before, but all it will take is something little to justify millions of people who believe in something like that over dogmatic literalism in religion.

Not to mention pop culture sure puts the alien agenda on top priority these days...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Well Fermi certainly needed new life for the theory because it is seriously flawed.

The theory assumes too much like alien probes would be made by technology that we would have and understand. It assumes aliens have the same understanding of physics that we do. Rubbish.

Now if I understand this 'new' idea that a 5 year old could have come up with, by watching soap bubbles interact, it says that Fermi wasn't wrong only that all these smaller alien groups will merge into one big group, hence making them less numerous.

That's a really big leap if you ask me. That means there are lots of super large alien groups out there with even better and bigger star wars death stars - though perhaps fewer than we thought.

Here is my New theory I call The Phoenix Paradox. If there are now all these super advanced alien civilizations out there ( albeit fewer) then why haven't we been met by them for surely They Can reach us, or been destroyed or taken over by them?

[edit on 26-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Well, you are assuming(perhaps sarcastically) that advanced aliens would have destructive technology... when perhaps this is not the case. IMO it would be more logical to assume that they have since rid themselves of such technology otherwise they wouldn't have made it to the intergalactic level.

And, you are also assuming that they have never been here. IMO that is highly debatable and one of the most intriguing topics that will be answered someday in the not-so-distant future.

What if 'they' are behind what we call religion? I know, that sounds just like the History channel, but it is a good point, no?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs

Well, you are assuming(perhaps sarcastically) that advanced aliens would have destructive technology... when perhaps this is not the case. IMO it would be more logical to assume that they have since rid themselves of such technology otherwise they wouldn't have made it to the intergalactic level.

And, you are also assuming that they have never been here. IMO that is highly debatable and one of the most intriguing topics that will be answered someday in the not-so-distant future.

What if 'they' are behind what we call religion? I know, that sounds just like the History channel, but it is a good point, no?

Nope.. I assume they have destructive technology yes, ( How could they not if advanced enough to merge with another alien group) but not that all are violent.. I gave an either/or that we have either met them by now.. (peacfully) or met them under destructive circumstances.

I disagree that all alien groups have rid them selves of the need for destructive weapons to make it to a galactic level. I think some might have, others might have not. Both are possible.

I am not assuming they have never been here. Fermi assumes we must have like technology to detect them. Based on that my paradox is an extension of his. I personally believe they could be everywhere around us all the time and we just cannot detect them.

Well.. they ARE behind our religion for God surely is an alien. He had to come from somewhere outside of this earthly plane. Like God Aliens may have an understanding of physics that allows them to travel to, from and through other dimensions we cannot even imagine. As well as manipulate energy to create matter organic and inorganic. With a higher understanding of physics that we do not posses anything becomes possible.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I agree. It really depends on their environment, and whether they have internal conflicts within the species themselves, like we do.

But it would be safe to assume that if they have merged with another advanced civilization, they have not destroyed them with weapons.

So perhaps the ones that merge to a further level of advancement have had to learn to be peaceful or more diplomatic.

Weapons could just be used for defensive purposes as well.

And, judging that we are still here, if we have been visited by aliens they weren't very destructive - at least what we would term destructive on a large scale like the annihilation of our species.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hi, galaxy fans.

As I have often said elsewhere:
About UFOs, here are my finds/thoughts, (that I did not churn out):

1- Some space ships are build in a factory by 4th density entities, like we do for cars.
Some space ships are "thought formed" by the 6th density entities !
Some entities don't even need space ships.

2- There are positive and negative 4th and 5th density entities.
6th & higher density entities are positive only ! Benevolent !
Our mentality, our profoundness, our life's services to others
decide which polarity of 4th and 5th density entities will visit us.

3- There exist: space/time & time/space,
meaning:
**WE** can move 3 ways in space, in one time line.
**THEY** can move 3 ways in time, in one space. (without moving).

4- Some UFOs come from someWHERE.

5- Some UFOs come from someWHEN !

6- Some travel by moving; entities 4th and 5th density.

7- Some travel by thought; entities 6th and higher density.

8- All in the universe is entangled. [What the BLEEP!? down the rabbit hole].

9- One day, science will tell us:
! All universe's matter is made of solid light !

10- The new ***theory of everything*** !
www.ted.com...

11- and stuff I forgot. . .? B-)

And if I may add : read the Ra material in my signature, and the
[My Favorite Sites] box in my profile, and you will have a bit more answers !

Blue skies.

top topics

join