It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shirley Sherrod's Lynching Story is False!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by c g henderson

Too many of you are blinded by your own intellectual arrogance. The typical person barely can read let alone nail the definition of a lynching. The op's point is valid when you consider the typical person on the street. All of you assume that everybody will make the same leap of logic you did and a lynching is not necessarily a hanging. Go out into the real world and ask random people what a lynching is!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Well. I was hardly complaining but more relaying a factual event. But your saying that it was a complaint makes your frame of reference clear, and now I can assign it exactly the value it deserves. Thank you.

Are you kidding me? Most people know what a lynching is...both the figurative and literal meaning of the word.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

So basically, if you take stupidity into account then what the OP says is true?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here's one for y'all. Quite possibly the most famous "lynching" trial in U.S. history:

The Mississippi Burning Trial (U. S. vs. Price et al.)

It was an old-fashioned lynching, carried out with the help of county officials, that came to symbolize hardcore resistance to integration. Dead were three civil rights workers, Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman, and James Chaney. All three shot in the dark of night on a lonely road in Neshoba County, Mississippi.

www.law.umkc.edu...&bowers/Account.html

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
2010 quotes from a black separatist speech speech given by Charles Sherrod,

"We must stop the white man and his Uncle Toms from stealing our elections."

"Young people, you will be making more money than we ever dreamed of. Please find a way, find a way that we can trust each other so that our moneys can work for our total liberation.

"We have ideas, inventions, athletic talent. But our labor and our moneys and our contracts usually end up in the white folks' hands and pockets.

"When will we trust our own?

"Finally we must stop the white man and his Uncle Toms from stealing our elections. We must not be afraid to vote black. And we must not be afraid to turn a black out who votes against our interests."

No comment.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Intresting to note that her dad got lynched due to a Democratic Senator making all of this possible in the first place.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
You grew up in the South so you must understand the the legal definition of a lynch. I understand that. However, I grew up in on a farm in a small Ohio town and to me and to Webster a lynching is a hanging.

Do they not explain how to read dictionaries in this part of Ohio? I know they do in others. So if she is a liar based on what you specifically think of when you hear the word then were you her intended audience? Do you know what image came to the minds of the people she was actually talking to? As far as I know, you were never supposed to see that tape unless you were part of the presentation anyway so why would it matter what anyone thought of outside the people she was addressing?

Now if you can confirm they all believed that lynching meant only hanging, then you might be on to something. Not sure what but something.

Using your logic though. When I hear "pedophile" I think white shorts and 70's haircuts. What conclusions can I now draw using your line of thinking?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Yes as sad as that is. We cannot just assume that people know. Can anyone here say that the typical person knows the difference? On this forum we have a lot of smart people, but unfortunately we are not a majority in the US. Well read and lettered. Sorry Lucidity if you are unable to see my point about using language to evoke responses. It does fit with the post I mentioned. Again I ask is three people a mob?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. We're arguing HOW a person died? Not how but what wording was used? That's pretty childish. The guy's dead isn't he? Arguing semantics isn't going to assuage the memories of the family. The premise of this thread is very suspect.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So let's just turn this game into a classic battle of semantics. Sorry, that does not work.

That's exactly what you are running into here - an attempt to derail this conversation by using semantics to distract.

Ask 100 Americans what 'lynching' means. Probably 90 will say it means hanging. Sherrod knew that. She also knows what people imagine when they hear the word 'beating'.

Lynching is much more incendiary a word than beating. Ask a group of people how many have gone through a beating, you'll get around half. Ask how many have suffered a lynching, you'll get zero.

Sherrod knew this. So she intentionally used the most inflammatory word she could, to incite heated emotions. As I pointed out in an earlier post, she is a racist. Having been caught, she's now trying to play the part of Polyanna.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Sherrod knew this. So she intentionally used the most inflammatory word she could, to incite heated emotions. As I pointed out in an earlier post, she is a racist. Having been caught, she's now trying to play the part of Polyanna.

And you know this how? Psychic ability? Or did she correspond with you to let you know what her intent was?

[edit on 26-7-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

And you know this how? Psychic ability? Or did she correspond with you to let you know what her intent was?

It was a combination of both.

Or maybe just years of experience listening to these weasels lie through their teeth.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

So you mean it's "opinion". Thanks for clearing that up for me.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You're welcome, Intrepid.
So much of this thread is just that - opinion.

We could go on for hours, picking apart every word she said, the actions of the admin, the involvement of FOX, etc., and we'd still be at the same place we started at.

Opinion definitely factors into it. I firmly believe Sherrod is a racist, and is playing up the incident for several reasons. But of course I have no way of proving it. And I respect your opinion, though I may at times disagree with it.

To me, incidents like this are way overblown. They keep thrusting racism into the forefront, and thus more important stories fall beneath the fold and onto page 14. It's a calculated move by pols (my opinion).

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Encyclopedia Britannica
www.britannica.com...
a form of violence in which a mob, under the pretext of administering justice without trial, executes a presumed offender, often after inflicting torture and corporal mutilation. The term lynch law refers to a self-constituted court that imposes sentence on a person without due process of law.

Damn Encylopedia!! Written by lefty liberals knowing just such a a debate might emerge some day!!!!

Seriously...Factcheck.org? Mediamatters? MSM et al....Now Websters and the Encyclopedia Britannica?

Why not just be done with it and admit that "the truth has a left-leaning liberal bias".

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by c g henderson

You grew up in the South so you must understand the the legal definition of a lynch. I understand that. However, I grew up in on a farm in a small Ohio town and to me and to Webster a lynching is a hanging.

Do they not explain how to read dictionaries in this part of Ohio? I know they do in others. So if she is a liar based on what you specifically think of when you hear the word then were you her intended audience? Do you know what image came to the minds of the people she was actually talking to? As far as I know, you were never supposed to see that tape unless you were part of the presentation anyway so why would it matter what anyone thought of outside the people she was addressing?

Now if you can confirm they all believed that lynching meant only hanging, then you might be on to something. Not sure what but something.

Using your logic though. When I hear "pedophile" I think white shorts and 70's haircuts. What conclusions can I now draw using your line of thinking?

Let the deflection continue. BTW Websters directs the association of a hanging with the definition of lynching and makes no mention of beatings, shootings, dragging etc. I don't think I need to recite the Webster's defintion that was already provided for us in this thread.

Do a simple google image search on the word lynching. What appears?

Look at the links that I cited earlier regarding multiple books written on the subject. Every book has an image of a human being hanging from a rope on the BOOK COVER.

Look at the wiki page depicting 3 distinct images of people hanging from a flippin rope.

The popular definition and image of a lynching is a hanging. Regardless of what Media Matters, Huffington, or Daily Kos want you to believe. Sorry, but that is simply an example of the history that the Progressives are constantly attempting to rewrite.

Let's revisit the Rodney King case shall we. Based on the countless inane attempts on this thread to define lynchings by legal terms rather than a popular meaning, King was lynched by the police rather than an angry mob. Funny, I don't ever recall hearing his beating referred to as a lynching on the leading media outlets of the era though. Probably because it happened in Liberal California and not in a racially tense Mississippi.

Reginald Denny, a white man, was lynched in the aftermath of the King disaster by an angry mob of Black men for no reason. He was pulled from his truck and had his skull crushed with a cinder block. Put in that context as an example, lynching does not really fit the situation based on the popular definition and image does it? No news outlets called any of that a lynching. They were all senseless beatings!! 53 people died in that mess. How many were lynched?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Words evoke emotions.
It isn't realistic to assume that every member of a group would differentiate between a dictionary definition and a perceived meaning, be it a NAACP function or a government meeting.
Remember the "niggardly" kerfuffle?
People hear what they want to hear.
She's not a liar, just a wordsmith.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

The popular definition and image of a lynching is a hanging. Regardless of what Media Matters, Huffington, or Daily Kos want you to believe.

Encyclopedia Britannica, Dictioonary.com etc etc. Not the Huffington Post or Daily Kos..

Easy on the BS.

This thread is getting a little comical. Your OP was shown to be premised on a false definition of "lynching" and a common misperception by some that it is specific to "hanging"...and you will not let it go, dictionaries and encyclopedias be damned.

I'll help you out. Yes, I am sure many people "think" lynching means hanging, Dictionary.com even goes as far to specify in thier definition...
—Can be confused:   hang

Being ignorant of something is OK...I am often..clinging to that ignorance once you have been conclusively been shown the error?? Well, do you really want to be that idealogue?

As for Shirley Sherrod living in the south at the time she did? I am fairly sure she knows the full and accurate definition of that word well..along with most African Americans from that time in the south.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

As for Shirley Sherrod living in the south at the time she did? I am fairly sure she knows the full and accurate definition of that word well..along with most African Americans from that time in the south.

I wouldn't put too much faith in southern Democrats...they aren't very bright, based upon recent events...

Sheila Jackson Lee's blunder about two Vietnams...

Hank Johnson's concern about Guam capsizing due to overcrowding...

Peggy West's (though she's not a southerner) failure in southern American geography...

I mean, these aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree. Sherrod seems to fit right in with them, too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join