It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Manga Translators Losing battle of freedom on net to industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
www.digitalspy.com...

US manga sales have recently declined by more than 30% after years of strong growth.

"It is our sincere hope that offending sites will take it upon themselves to immediately cease their activities. Where this is not the case, however, we will seek injunctive relief and statutory damages."

what they mean by statutory damages is that the there manga sells in book stores isnt coming well compared to online manga viewing, just like the movie, music in the industry.

already effected site is one manga

www.thedailytechnews.com...

My fellow members of ATS i think its time to boycott the industry, i will never buy any mangas from japan any more, if there industry thinks they just take away our freedom of rights on the net, maybe they just re think that.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Mangahelpers has voluntarily chosen to get rid of scans. I am "in the scene" sorta speak and am following this closely. I fear that the next area to be targeted is torrents on a large scale. random moviesharing sites have already gone ofline...

Times are changing.. guess its only natural for "Justice" to adapt to these times..

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
is mangahut down for good?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by depth om

yes i am afraid, but unless we start a protest or boycott we might win, boycotting usually works.

thank you mods for moving my thread, this a bit breaking news.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I know there's so many homeless people pissed off because of this. haha you have these sites that everyday you can go to the library for an hour and read 1000's of amazing stories.. now it's gone! Sucks.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The age of internet piracy is ending... We can either resist it and try to beat the CEO's and cooperates who have lawyers and attorneys and not to mention obscene amounts of money or we can admit defeat and move on. The internet WAS an amazing thing, but now big brother is turning it against us harvesting money from us and we are helpless to stop it.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I would like for them to try to collar the internet, they know that's like kicking a sleeping tiger, so they're formulating some convoluted BS to shut id down or restrict over time, or they already have an ace up their sleeve and are just waiting to play it.

Either way, what happens must happen, let's hope for the best, and fight off the worst.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Mangas cost freakn' $10.46 with tax! Sometimes MORE. We're talking about volumes that all together can cost people hundreds of dollars!

I'll buy if they lower the price to $5 w/o tax.

Till then, I'm reading my manga online. :

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I will be a creating a youtube about this, and please spread it like wild fire.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
i read manga online but i also like to draw mangas. id be pissed if i worked hard on a manga and someone set up a site that showed all of my work for free. as much as i like free manga this is one of those situations where you have to admit you are wrong. the same with music and movies. i absolutely disagree with you

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
Mangas cost freakn' $10.46 with tax! Sometimes MORE. We're talking about volumes that all together can cost people hundreds of dollars!

I'll buy if they lower the price to $5 w/o tax.

Till then, I'm reading my manga online. :<

As an example, lets look at some big series like Bleach or Naruto. In America they are up to about 30 volumes, which is about 300 dollars for the whole series. If they would just sell them digitally they wouldn't have to pay for paper, binding, workers, etc. You could sell them for 99 cents a piece. Manga is expensive to buy.

The legality of having them online is kind of odd. For one, not all of them are copyrighted in America, and are just 3rd party translations, but then you have things like my original example, that are.

One Manga has a pop up announcing that they will be closing in a week. You can see it here. www.onemanga.com...

Edit: Turns out Naruto has nearly 50 volumes, which would be 500 dollars for the full up to date series.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by asher

Well i disagree with you, no one has a right to own the net, and no one has a be a boss everyone of out anyone, same goes with the manga book industry.

Alot of people nowadays cant afford to buy mangas, they are saving the money just so they can feed there families and loved ones from far away countries.

When people want to ease there boredom, they will rather view the manga online.

Sames goes for me, when i was sick 2 years ago and couldn't move out of bed, it was thanks to manga online viewing that i a felt a bit better.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by asher

That's pretty awesome. I have a few snippets of my manga (about my friends) I scanned online too. I think the people who stole your art should give ou credit and add the link to where they got the art from. If you ever came out wit a manga like at the megacon, I'd buy it.
As long as it's under $5.

top topics

join