It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

This really interesting case was brought to my attention only recently, although it is easily available in the public domain and the headline case details can be found on Wiki here

Here is a quick summary:

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов).

The lack of eyewitnesses and subsequent investigations into the hikers' deaths have inspired much speculation. Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot in heavy snow. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue. According to sources, four of the victims' clothing contained high levels of radiation. There is no mention of this in contemporary documentation; it only appears in later documents. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for three years after the incident. The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors.

Source: Wikipedia

There is also an interesting assessment of the case written by Brian Dunning which can be found here

Has anybody else heard of this case? It seems really intriguing...

[edit on 26-7-2010 by SugarCube]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here is a really good thread by Ozweatherman on this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Very interesting!

This kind of data tends to fall between the cracks of normal consensual reality, chalked up as just another "story".

I really do think we could learn a lot by paying more attention to such anomalies though. What exactly is out there? What can happen when we are not expecting it?

A lot, apparently!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I was just passing through interesting threads and got sideswiped by this fascinating story - I had never heard of it. Found this fairly good link:

Aquiziam site

Thanks for bring this case up; will keep me thinking for years!

new topics

top topics

join