It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet licence fee: Viewers who watch TV on computer could be charged from next year, hints mi

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I started to comment on the ridiculousness of being charged a mandatory fee for simply owning a TV and intended to compare the UK government to bacteria over this issue... then I realized I'm paying close to the same amount per month (only in dollars) as the UK TV owners for a buttload of cable channels I scarcely can find anything worth watching on. Modern humans = suckers.

That said, I would instantaneously provide both middle fingers to the government if they decided to mandate some kind of television use fee here in the states. At least with the cable situation it is my own stupidity that is costing me money.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by psilo simon
It`s not the law mate, it`s a act of parliament. NO law can force an individual to pay money to a profit making company, apart from if one was to commit theft, in which case, under common law you would be brought to justice.

Sorry, but this statement here is a load of rubbish. What exactly do you think an Act of Parliament is? A mild suggestion? A hint? An advisory note on acceptable behaviour? No, it's called the Law.

And yes, a Law can make individuals pay money to a private organisation. Take car insurance, for example. By law, one MUST have insurance. Or take home insurance, by law Landlords MUST have relevant insurance. Companies too MUST have required public liability insurance.

The law can`t come up to just anyone and say "pay car insurance or whatever kind of insurance to this company or that company". You would first have to be driving a car, or a landlord, or a company. These are things that if you want to do you have to go through many processes first of all, to the point you cant avoid paying certain things. The point I`m making is that legally a "person" is one legal example of a company, and companies can only do business with companies. We are fooled into believing we are persons (companies) and not realising this means we are representing the company of "your name". So, the law can indeed make you pay monies to a profit making company, but that requires you to identify voluntarily as a company, and legally, a person is a company.

Originally posted by psilo simon

Now, if one was to really brush up on the law, I`m sure there is a way to avoid things like council tax. Or at least to avoid being sentenced in a court for non payment of it, because the courts are registered profit making companies and the can only do business with other companies, and when you volunteer your name to the court then you are unwittingly representing a company whose name is "your name", hence if the court can`t confirm that you represent that company then they have no customer hence not much can be done.

That is just from memory I say that, don`t go out avoiding your council tax, but check out this website www.tpuc.org it will fill you in on all these little bluffs tptb make us believe we are lawfully bound to submit to.

I see from the rest of your post you're of the ilk that believe we're all "freemen" and by simply opting out of the system, you become untouchable.

No, you have decided that is your opinion of me, in actual fact, you can see from the rest of my post, that I am vaguely aware of some loopholes in what we believe to be law.

I wish that was true, but in reality, you have no choice. Everyone I have seen try to "opt out" of taxation or what have you has ended up inside for their troubles. Now, if you ask me, that's the total antithesis of being a "freeman" if you end up in prison for it.

But there are ways to not pay council tax, but these are defined in the Law. One cannot simply just choose not to pay because of a silly belief in some ancient custom or right. The only ancient rights we can cling to are those in the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights 1689, and even these are being eroded. I have used these rights though to my advantage to avoid things like rail fines etc, as I am actually quite well read on the matter.

[edit on 27/7/10 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

quite a few exeptions other than that one

www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Exactly what I was saying you must own a TV license REGARDLESS of what you watch broadcast TV on, mains, solar or battery (or any form of power).

I think you must have got confused with the student terms, but a students parents must STILL own a valid TV license, and the student must be registered living there out of term, are you a student just out of curiosity?

Your out-of-term address is covered by a TV Licence AND You only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries AND You have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
nope , but in those situations you dont have a licence your parents do , a bit like saying its my car when in fact it is your parents ..

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Yet more ways to tax the public....

Yes, looks like we won't be able to watch certain things on our computers now due to the BBC getting their hungry mitts on it...

... and what you really mean is that you won't be able to watch.... what, exactly? Things that you have a right to watch? That you paid for, and invested in?

Or do you just expect everything to be free?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Yes, looks like we won't be able to watch certain things on our computers now due to the BBC getting their hungry mitts on it...

... and what you really mean is that you won't be able to watch.... what, exactly? Things that you have a right to watch? That you paid for, and invested in?

Yeh.... why not?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Here in Germany we have to pay for tv since the first program was broadcasted. No matter, if that tv is in a box in the cellar or if you use it.
Since a few years same is true for computers.

The money is collected by the GEZ, which has a very bad reputation. When a family member had died and I had unsubscribed his tv and radio, they immediately wrote back, that it would be a crime, if one watches tv without paying and wanted to know, how much tvs and radios the dead person had...

There was another case, I read in the paper. A family had designed their own nameplate and jokingly had added the dog's name on it. Soon the dog got a letter from the GEZ, that he must subscribe his tv...

There are a lot of stories of those "agents" peeping through windows, if someone is watching tv, or trying to get in by pretending to be someone else, to see, if there is a tv in the room.

Now they solved this problem of different medias and bad reputation of their spys in a simple way:
In the near future every household has to pay the dues, no matter if they have a tv or a computer at all. I bet, right now they are thinking of a possibility to get a fee from the homeless, too.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Of course I want it for free on my computer! I had a computer long before the BBC or any other media outlet had started placing content on websites, in fact there was simply no media at all, you see it was always a bandwidth issue.

Well now they have pushed their crap onto the net they can either give it away or restrict access but what is NOT going to happen is me trotting down the post office and making a payment.

I say end the perpetual BBC bailout, make it stand on its own two feet or sell it of to some other agenda driven organisation

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
agree with coffee sniffer , the bbc decided to spend loads on creating the i player with no real business plan of how to make money from it , It decided to put its content on the net , if it decidec it requires a subscription for its material fine i will go eleswhere , however as it is allready pay for my broadband , what content people wish to pipe to me is up to them ,however .Does this mean any content provider on the net can ban the bbc from using its "product" without a fee being paid?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join