It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet licence fee: Viewers who watch TV on computer could be charged from next year, hints mi

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If anyone knows about free rides it's the government bureaucrats.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I have and do find other ways to watch Programmes i want to watch... they are recorded but at least i get to watch them still.... like LOST for example... i already viewed the last series before it's even come out over here....

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It`s no urban myth, they still come out, though I haven`t seen a detector van in my life.

The last time they came to me I let them in to show tem I had no TV, so they asked for my name to strike me off their records. I refused and said goodbye, they couldn`t believe it, haha.

The time before that, I had opened the back of my TV and cut the receiver wires, but was still able to watch videos and dvds via the scart connection.
I let the "officers" in and showed them what I had done. They were dumbfounded, but had to concede and off they went. Had they just thought to check my vcr, they couldv`e had me as obviously it is a receiver too, but they must have been too taken aback that I`d went to the bother of opening my TV to render it useless as far as receiving signals was concerned.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
I don't live in the UK,

Which makes me find this whole nonsense thread odd, the only people getting really shirty about it are people who don't even know what it is.

so please explain to me how you folks over there view the BBC. I'm getting the impression that you relate to a government service that is worthy of being taxed. Is it a pseudo-Govt. service, or is it an entertainment service?

The BBC isn't some "state broadcaster" as you might imagine it, like in Societ Russia. It's hardly a Government mouth peice or service. It provides a wide range of factual and entertainment programming on radio and TV.

Then please explain to me why everyone should have to pay a license fee for owning a computer or owning a TV to watch movies?

Because it's the law and it pays for the BBC and other services. I'm sure I can find things about where your from I find strange, odd or distasteful too but they don't concern me, do they, so why should I get my panties in a bunch over it?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
axaxaxxaxaaxaxaxaxaxaxax what bastards
they really think while they sit on top having $$$$$ salaryes we can suffer and work hard for a piece of bread while being brainwashed into buying ipods. how silly
people will always rebel and finds way to get what they want.if not they will just rebel or escape into another better country.
even in NWO we can still go live in saudi arabia or something,atleast we will be free there.
the land of the free......o the irony

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
So I guess quite a lot of mobile phone users (WiFi/3/4G?) will be getting an interesting text message from their ISPs if the gov./BBC get their way? You are now liable for a TV licence...there may be some interesting ramifications there?

How will that work if for example an employee has a mobile phone provided by a business? Will their employer need to get a licence? How many employees could get covered by that licence? What if the employee uses his mobile to access TV/web content and links it to his home network/laptop to view that content? Hmmmm?

[edit on 26-7-2010 by curioustype]
[It will be interesting whether they keep the current model: per household/site or go for a per user model - if per user then there would need to be exemptions surely - because of mobile phones/children/employees etc...? With such complications I would guess come more opportunities for abuse...? They will need to be very careful]

[edit on 26-7-2010 by curioustype]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It`s not the law mate, it`s a act of parliament. NO law can force an individual to pay money to a profit making company, apart from if one was to commit theft, in which case, under common law you would be brought to justice.

Now, if one was to really brush up on the law, I`m sure there is a way to avoid things like council tax. Or at least to avoid being sentenced in a court for non payment of it, because the courts are registered profit making companies and the can only do business with other companies, and when you volunteer your name to the court then you are unwittingly representing a company whose name is "your name", hence if the court can`t confirm that you represent that company then they have no customer hence not much can be done.

That is just from memory I say that, don`t go out avoiding your council tax, but check out this website www.tpuc.org it will fill you in on all these little bluffs tptb make us believe we are lawfully bound to submit to.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just download your shows on usenet. simple.
Screw government taxing.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crazy Man Michael
And yes, they have a database of licence owners, and they do come to the door (though this may be an urban myth - can't remember the last time I saw a TV detector van, many years ago)

Definately not a myth. See Flickr

and

www.bushywood.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I don't have a license, nor will I ever have one. I don't watch the telly. I do however have a TV, for the XBOX and as a secondary display for the PC.

The TV licensing guy came round, and he was satisfied with this setup. I didn't have to cut any wires or sabotage the reciever or anything, I just had to show him that the TV wasn't tuned in.

Here are the FACTS:

You need a license to watch or record any live broadcast, whether on your computer, on your TV on your mobile phone or on your games console, in fact ANY device requires a license if you are using it to watch shows as they are being broadcast.

This includes the live news on the BBC website.

You do not (at this moment) need one to watch catch up TV like iPlayer, but the greedy beggars are trying to change this.

Telling the license guy that you DO NOT watch BBC channels will not wash, heres your £1500 fine, good day.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
"You need a license to watch or record any live broadcast, whether on your computer, on your TV on your mobile phone or on your games console, in fact ANY device requires a license if you are using it to watch shows as they are being broadcast."

NO it doesnt if it is powered independantly either by battery or solar and not plugged into the mains it does not need one ...eg in your mobile caravan etc ,on your phone...

Also does this mean I will be able to get payment for any product or infomation I put on the net that the bbc MAY have access to?that they have not payed for
?

I see a legal case coming up there......

[edit on 27-7-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

YES It is a myth detector vans are just minibusses with temps inside , with a printout of the data base told to knock on doors..the detectors if ever used are handheld...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Gambon, yes you do need a license, mains powered or not, I have the last letter i recieved here in front of me......but as I cannot show you that.....

read here for caravans

www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

here in general

www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder. It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence

[edit on 27/7/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
First pulled quote from Wikipedia, on the BBC.

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is the largest broadcasting organisation in the world.[1]

Yep.

That's about all I need to know about my stance on "licensing fees". Yeah, I have a stance, even though I'm a nosy know-nothing American. Largest broadcasting organization on the planet, needs better ways to charge you for licensing fees, now that's funny. I hope they make enough money to keep their service going!

According to the BBC's 2008–2009 Annual Report,[31] its income can be broken down as follows:
£3,493.8 million in licence fees collected from householders;
£775.9 million from BBC Commercial Businesses;
£294.6 million from government grants;
£41.1 million from other income, such as providing content to overseas broadcasters and concert ticket sales;

But they need more damn you, mooooreee!!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon
It`s not the law mate, it`s a act of parliament. NO law can force an individual to pay money to a profit making company, apart from if one was to commit theft, in which case, under common law you would be brought to justice.

Sorry, but this statement here is a load of rubbish. What exactly do you think an Act of Parliament is? A mild suggestion? A hint? An advisory note on acceptable behaviour? No, it's called the Law.

And yes, a Law can make individuals pay money to a private organisation. Take car insurance, for example. By law, one MUST have insurance. Or take home insurance, by law Landlords MUST have relevant insurance. Companies too MUST have required public liability insurance.

Originally posted by psilo simon

Now, if one was to really brush up on the law, I`m sure there is a way to avoid things like council tax. Or at least to avoid being sentenced in a court for non payment of it, because the courts are registered profit making companies and the can only do business with other companies, and when you volunteer your name to the court then you are unwittingly representing a company whose name is "your name", hence if the court can`t confirm that you represent that company then they have no customer hence not much can be done.

That is just from memory I say that, don`t go out avoiding your council tax, but check out this website www.tpuc.org it will fill you in on all these little bluffs tptb make us believe we are lawfully bound to submit to.

I see from the rest of your post you're of the ilk that believe we're all "freemen" and by simply opting out of the system, you become untouchable. I wish that was true, but in reality, you have no choice. Everyone I have seen try to "opt out" of taxation or what have you has ended up inside for their troubles. Now, if you ask me, that's the total antithesis of being a "freeman" if you end up in prison for it.

But there are ways to not pay council tax, but these are defined in the Law. One cannot simply just choose not to pay because of a silly belief in some ancient custom or right. The only ancient rights we can cling to are those in the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights 1689, and even these are being eroded. I have used these rights though to my advantage to avoid things like rail fines etc, as I am actually quite well read on the matter.

[edit on 27/7/10 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
I recently moved to a brand new house and the TV licence demand was there with my name on it before anything was signed. I haven't a clue how they would know.

Every other service still doesn't have our address in their database.

You know they did the exact same thing on me last time I moved I hadn't even got my furniture completely moved yet and within the very first few days they came demanding to see the license which of course I hadn't got switched over yet although I still had one I also haven't a clue how they knew but it's downright suspicious how fast it was.

BBC is good series of channels and I love programs like Dr Who and Top Gear and as long as Rupert Murdoch keeps hating on them I know they are doing something right and are welcome to my license money.

I really don't like the way they try and catch people out though and go round demanding access to peoples homes before the troubles really calmed down here in Belfast they were often chased out of estates and lucky to get away alive I'm not sure if that still happens.

I do think the other main channels should get a share though they manage some quality programs as well with far less resources and it seems only fair as long as it cuts down their ad breaks a bit.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

gotta say NZ binned the telly licence years ago, no-one paid it anyway, I think they decided it was too much hassle. I remember once when I was living in London when some block came around and tried to charge us for the telly we had, I told him good luck to ya mate since we we're all travellers. You could try and bill someone here but don't think you'll get far! never saw the bloke again, perhaps you can try that one!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

not quite true , look at those links and type battery powered tv into the search engine.....the tv licencing people dont tell you this in clear language...........unless you search ,

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Gambon, you need a home license if you want to view TV as it is being broadcast, to battery or not to battery, there is no question.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

As 98 per cent of UK households have a TV set* and evasion is very low at around 5 per cent, most people will already be covered to watch online, by their existing home licence. Their licence will also cover them to watch TV on battery-powered devices outside the home. However those people without a current licence will need to purchase one to watch TV in any of these ways.

and....

www.adviceguide.org.uk...

Who needs a television licence You need a TV Licence to use any television-receiving equipment to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV. These include programmes on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, cable and satellite television. Television-receiving equipment includes: * TV sets * set-top boxes * DVD recorders * video recorders * computers * mobile phones or other battery-operated devices.

The ONLY SLIGHT exception to the rule is if you are a student:

www.direct.gov.uk...

Battery-powered equipment A TV set powered by its own internal batteries, such as a pocket-sized TV or mobile phone, is covered by a licence at your parents’ address. However, it must not be plugged into the mains while being used to receive television. If there is no licence at your parents’ address you will need to buy your own.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

First pulled quote from Wikipedia, on the BBC.

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is the largest broadcasting organisation in the world.[1]

Yep.

That's about all I need to know about my stance on "licensing fees". Yeah, I have a stance, even though I'm a nosy know-nothing American. Largest broadcasting organization on the planet, needs better ways to charge you for licensing fees, now that's funny. I hope they make enough money to keep their service going!

According to the BBC's 2008–2009 Annual Report,[31] its income can be broken down as follows:
£3,493.8 million in licence fees collected from householders;
£775.9 million from BBC Commercial Businesses;
£294.6 million from government grants;
£41.1 million from other income, such as providing content to overseas broadcasters and concert ticket sales;

But they need more damn you, mooooreee!!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by SyphonX]

Thanks for the figures...

So Stumason... you still think the BBC don't make enough cash to offset the outgoings?

I know this isn't about Council Tax either but if you look at how many houses there are in Britain you will see how much Council tax is paid out per year....

The British public have been and always will be paying through the nose ....

Anything which comes along we just accept it... it started way back when the first Tax came along and it's been going on ever since....

Another thing which i think is wrong is the Pension Funds... Why can't a said person withdraw their Pension before they reach a certain age? IMO they should be able to draw on it when and if they leave work early due to an illness or something... instead they have to go through a Solicitor to draw it early... why is that? Because if you die and there's no-one to benefit from your Fund, it goes back into the system!!

It's your cash, you should be able to draw it without any fuss at all....

[edit on 27-7-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join