It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tick bites can cause deadly meat allergies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I just read an article on the local news station's website about how a bite from a tick can make you allergic to meat. Deadly allergic. ~ on a side note to the survivalist community, you may want to stock up on epipens.
www.kxan.com...

Imagine enjoying a hamburger at a summertime family cookout just to fall deathly ill hours later. And suddenly you're violently allergic to all red meats, forever.

With one tick bite, those bitten may have to avoid barbecues for the rest of their lives. This newly discovered - and extremely rare - allergy carried by ticks is perplexing and educating area doctors......But it exists, local allergists said. It could be deadly. And this allergy, the experts said, is permanent.

Patients were becoming severely allergic to red meats, beef pork, venison and lamb.

"They were going into allergic shock. Patients' throats would swell. They'd break out in hives from head to toe, they'd have trouble breathing. Their throats may swell shut, and they could go into shock or their blood pressures drop and lose unconsciousness," said Dr. Robert Cook of the Central TX Allergy and Asthma Center.

The disease is called " Alpha-gal ," short for Alpha-galactosidase. It's transferred by a tick bite, which causes a delayed allergic reaction to the sugars in mammal flesh for humans.

People in the southeast USA have been diagnosed with this, and there is no cure. I found an older article about people getting sick from the same tick, Lone Star tick larvea. People thought it was chigger bites. www.easthamptonstar.com...
also found this story www.roanoke.com...

I also found a natural tick repellent www.ehow.com... its basically oil , aloe gel, rose geranium essential oil, and lavender.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by toolstarr]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Stock up on neem oil. It's deadly toxic in small amounts to bugs & practicly non toxic to humans.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

thanks for the tip, I had no idea.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
In the time that as passed since posting this, I have found 2 ticks on my kids. I have not seen a tick all year until now.
I know it is rare, but that's all we need~ a meat allergy on top of seasonal and milk and wheat /gluten allergies.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I tested positive for this allergy. Took the doctors 2 and a half years to figure out why I was breaking out in hives and sick. They didn't attribute it to food for the longest time because of the delayed reaction. But its a bad all over your body reaction. So I have not been eating mammal meat or products for over 6 months and have been symptom free.
By the way I live in Arkansas, and people from South eastern states should be careful in the tall grass or woods Use deet. Also look up the University of Virginia, there is a study by College of Immunology.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by flyinghuman

If it's like a normal allergy, could you not just take antihistamines?

top topics

join