It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Catch a Cold in Mississippi!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I haven't had a summer cold in a long time, but came down with a duzey about a week and a half ago. I usually try to get by without taking any medication at all, but I was so stuffed up, that I sent my husband to the store to get me a decongestant of some sort, so I could get some sleep.

I was surprised to learn, that you can no longer purchase some cold medications over the counter in the state anymore, as some have been re-classed as schedule III drugs, that require a prescription from a Dr!

New Mississippi Drug Law

A new Mississippi law has added ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, ingredients used to make methamphetamine, to the state’s list of Schedule III controlled substances. Many common decongestants and cold medicines, including Sudafed and Contac Cold, contain pseudoephedrine. As of July 1, 2010, these medicines will no longer be available over the counter and patients will need a doctor’s prescription to buy them.

The only other state that has this law is Oregon.

While I can understand why this has been done, to cut down on illegal meth labs, it sure makes catching a cold far more expensive. Instead of a few days worth of decongestants, now people have to pay for a visit to the Dr., too!

This seems a little unfair to me!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

just curious, but how far are you from the gulf?

the reason i ask is that i'm hearing more and more (a LOT more) about people catching 'colds' when they wouldnt normally - and more severe ones - after the gulf disaster.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by upstateman]

[edit on 25-7-2010 by upstateman]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
In Kansas and Missouri you have to show id and sign a paper to get those drugs. The pharmacy keeps them behind the counter now. I think it's a great idea since Raytown, Missouri is the meth capital of the US. Or so it seems.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by upstateman

I am only about 4 miles away from the beach.

I had to take my husband to the ER yesterday for an MS related issue, and I asked the Dr. if they have seen a lot of people come in sick, allegedly from the spill. He told me no, and also added that yesterday was one of the slowest days they had there in quite a while.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

I wouldn't mind having to do that, as most stores were limiting the amounts of packages you could purchase anyway here in the state.

I'm just sort of perturbed about having to make a co-payment at the Dr.'s office to get a prescription for cold meds.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Part of the reason for this move (which is common across most states now) is because the FDA wants to move pseudophedrine off of the market. It has some fairly serious side effects in a small number of people, though not serious enough to warrant an immediate removal. Also, there is a safer alternative to this drug that is in widespread use now: phenylphrine. Nearly all products pulled due to pseudophedrine content have been replaced on the shelf with an identical product containing phenylphrine. It's cheaper and safer, so a win all around.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

I was at the store myself today, and since my cold has almost run it's course, I didn't even check to see if there was an alternative.

I'm going to check that out next time, based on your information.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
Nearly all products pulled due to pseudophedrine content have been replaced on the shelf with an identical product containing phenylphrine. It's cheaper and safer, so a win all around.

Although I've seen conflicting evidence on the efficacy of phenylephrine, for example:

Results

Phenylephrine was not significantly different from placebo in the primary end point, mean change in nasal congestion score at more than 6 hours (P = .56), whereas pseudoephedrine was significantly more effective than both placebo (P < .01) and phenylephrine (P = .01).

Source

I understand the move to requiring people to get pseudoephedrine products from the pharmacist rather than directly off the shelf, and limiting the quantity bought at one time. But given what seems to be evidence that phenylephrine is less effective than pseudoephedrine I question the wisdom of returning it to prescription-only status.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Phenylephrine on it's own can't relieve symptoms a great deal, no, but when it is added to formulation (like, when it replaces pseudophedrine in the normal SudaFed formulation) it seems to work pretty well. Obviously, you'll take a small hit in efficacy in order to improve safety, but then, if you want the stronger stuff with the added risk, it's just a prescription away.

Personally, I still opt for the pseudophedrine, as phenylephrine just doesn't seem to work well enough on the rare occasions I take medicine. Of course, I also live in a state where I can get it at the pharmacy counter, rather than by prescription, so that may have an impact on my preference, too.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

No problem. I hope it works for you! =)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

Part of the reason for this move (which is common across most states now) is because the FDA wants to move pseudophedrine off of the market. It has some fairly serious side effects in a small number of people, though not serious enough to warrant an immediate removal. Also, there is a safer alternative to this drug that is in widespread use now: phenylphrine. Nearly all products pulled due to pseudophedrine content have been replaced on the shelf with an identical product containing phenylphrine. It's cheaper and safer, so a win all around.

But doesn't work as well for most people. I asked our pediatrician and a pharmacist about this. Seems that phenyphrine has a different metabolism rate and has been shown to be not as effective. In other words, the inefficiency in the medication wasn't all in my head. So, since daughter and I have major allergies year round, it's down to the pharmacy every 10 days for 2 packs of 48 count pseudophedrine and sign the promise not to make meth out of it. What a pain in the arse!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Yep, the lower bioavailability of phenylephrine is the price you pay for increased safety unfortunately. I'm in the same boat as you, feeling it just doesn't work well enough for my tastes, and usually opt for the "good stuff", haha.

I've actually tried Claritin this year, instead, and it seems to work great. Though, the most medication I usually only have to take allergy medication for a day or two each year, so I'm basing it on a relatively short treatment period.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here in texas we've been getting sudafed and such from the pharmacist (non-scrip) for a few years. Too many using it for meth labs. Folks would by the stuff by the pushcart late at night.

The part I think sucks is they DO NOT make the old NYQUIL anymore. The new stuff doesnt have whatever was in it that makes you sleepy.

Useless crap now! The old stuff was like dextromethorphan or something and they replaced it with like sodium sucanate or another.

One shot of that old stuff and it was lights out for me when I was sick.

Tasted like hell though. Nyquil "huzz".

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ever seen a guy on meth? it is so bad they have to pull over in traffic to take a hit of it just to be able to drive the last half way home. And if they don't pull over, they go totally psycho and twitch, kinda like a zombie.

So, sure ephedrine gets rid of nose mucus,but meth is made with ephedrine. And to end the meth ZOMBIE problem, we have to get rid of ephedrine and its chemical clone psudoephedrine. And it is a BIG problem.

There is another medicine you should try over the counter. Musinex DM. It gets the mucus out.

And if you triple the dose, IT REALLY GETS THE MUCUS OUT.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by wiredamerican]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I just got back from the grocery store & was looking at that whole aisle of stuff for some cough drops & noticed that a lot of those medicines were packets of tickets to take to the counter. Meth is such a serious problem though so I do understand. Luckily, I have to be really, really suffering to take that stuff.

May I suggest Zicam - they have several different kinds ( I like the dissolving tabs. ) when you first get sick & then juice and/or Vit. C, chicken soup, lots of water & Vit. D3. I have had to do it this week myself & I am feeling much better. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

new topics

top topics

join