It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Image from CNN

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

OK, I really suck at this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aefc37b8fd64.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0cbab57c307.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

That's great

I have to head out now, but that should be more than enough for the members to ferret out the particulars on those pics..

If no one has tracked them down, I will give it a go in the morning, thanks tw

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i think his jaw and mouth make his face look crooked when zoomed in.....and his thumb looks different

[edit on 25-7-2010 by JTpirate]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
well I think I have unraveled the mystery here
AND why it was done.

It is my opinion that the soldier on the left w/out
the helmet is a life-size cardboard cut-out like
you see with movie stars.

And the reasoning is to make it appear as though
there are more soldiers on guard duty.

Just think, it's pretty brilliant.
If a sniper is in the area he is gonna
target the one standing still. The one
moving will be harder to hit. Plus the helmet
being off is also a prime target for a head shot.
The cardboard cut-out is a decoy for snipers.

It serves dual purpose and would explain
why they have different unit patches.
People passing by are not gonna notice
the different patches.

I think CNN just released a photo they
should not have as it now relays US
strategy to the enemy.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Lemme get this straight - The U.S. Military spends a Trillion Dollars a year on "stuff", but they can't afford Adobe Photoshop CS5 with the new "Content Aware Fill" and a more robust "Refine Edge" dialog (would have made it indistinguishable)?

The duder does look a bit deformed somehow (wrong respective perspectives?), but if it is a fake, it seems like conspiri-fodder to me - like it was meant to look fake to give us all something to jabber-jaw about.

I like how the other dude's all decked out, but this cat doesn't deserve the same protection. lol

EDIT (after BS above): Yeah, lol Oops!

[edit on 25-7-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
[edit on 25-7-2010 by 2012DragonSlayer]

[edit on 25-7-2010 by 2012DragonSlayer]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012DragonSlayer
also, the story... two solders leave the base and drive over an hour away in a non-military vehicle.... wtf??

US Personnel get lonely too !!!
and seek the comforts of the local
female variety. Except this time
it was a set-up and an ambush
waiting for them. Not too
difficult to figure out.
It was done in Vietnam
on a regular basis against
US Soldiers.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Hello guys, im new to this website and i actually made my account after looking at that picture. to me, the guy on the left looks like one of those cardboard cutout things. His hair looks way to clean, and the fact that he has no helmet on really makes me wonder. i never really did trust the news, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull something like this off.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingkong0193
Hello guys, im new to this website and i actually made my account after looking at that picture. to me, the guy on the left looks like one of those cardboard cutout things. His hair looks way to clean, and the fact that he has no helmet on really makes me wonder. i never really did trust the news, and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull something like this off.

so in essence you are agreeing with
my assessment a couple posts up??

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It looks real to me. The "photoshop" look is simply the sun reflecting off/highlighting the soldier's neck/lower head hair. Why in the hell would you photoshop a boring picture like this. The caption is the only thing that is probably off. The soldier on the right is an MP, probably at his post. I can not make out the unit patch on the other soldier, but there are literally millions of possible reasons why he could be standing there, and pulling guard duty with only his main rifle seems unlikely. Units aren't in their own little bubbles, and on an outpost or FOB you will find soldiers from many different units "mingling."

just my .02, from a former Soldier who's been there, done that. Take it or leave it, I wish ya'll well.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Shark VA84]

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Shark VA84]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
After looking at this all I can't help but wonder if the person that did this pic is the same one BP used for that helicopter pic that was on here not too long ago. It seems to be about the same quality in each picture. I can't understand why they even tried to pass this piture off as real. Hell both Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see this is not even remotely real. I say those who tried to pass thjs off...Better Luck next time.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Okay, let me set one thing straight. The caption beneath the picture does not really fit with the picture. It seems the reporter used the wrong photo. Here's why:

The cement wall behind them are known as T-walls. These T-walls are tall cement structures about 4 feet wide and reinforced with rebar. They are used in American (and possibly other) compounds (bases). They are placed in such a way as to encircle buildings and tent/personnel areas to protect people from shrapnel from incoming weapons that detonate when they hit the ground and RPG's or similar weapons which might be fired from ground level. AFAIK, they are not used in civilian areas in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

So, this picture is probably a stock picture of some guys hanging out in the safety of their compound, maybe preparing for a mission or a briefing, but they are not out on the streets of Kabul like the caption says.

Second, I doubt that there is any photoshopping in the photo. The one dude has grey hair which stands out a bit in the sunlight, but the other guy has a similar glow about his uniform if you notice. I'm sure an Army vet can tell us why one is an MP and the other looks like it says FP.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

Quick question for you. Wouldn't You have your helmet on if you were on guard duty especially in a war zone? They have to wear their helmets when driving here in the states so I would think they have to wear them there also.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Sorry hit enter on accident. Nothing here please disregard.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by tsurfer2000h]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

The guys chin is off center from his face. Is it possible he just has a deformed chin and thus it makes it looked shopped?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
coming from a graphic designer. doesnt looked shopped to me at all, and I can spot PS from 100 metres. haha.

Looks like a genuine photo, and I highly doubt that is a photo taken recently. Probably just a stock photo.

all of the angles are correct, shadows are correct. the hair glow is just due to the sun. the sunglasses dont look placed on his head, just very very clean.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itachimaru
Yea, the big question for me is why bother?

The answer could be as simple as the reason most graphics departments/studios Photoshop images of people in photographs for clients.

He simply wasn't photogenic.

I don't think it is anything beyond that.

At my last job I did this on a regular basis for around ten years.
I even added people into photos at the request of clients or my superiors and it was seamless. Nothing really malicious involved at all.

It really was about what they wanted to convey and sadly, some people felt that certain subjects in the pictures were not representative of a particular message they wanted to convey.

From being too fat, to appearing cross-eyed at the moment of the click (intentional or not), or having just caught someone in the middle of blinking, it was mostly just trivial reasons.

It certainly looks shopped to me, but of course I could be mistaken.
If it is, then it is due to the reasons I mentioned.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Itachimaru

Agreed, the guy on the left has some serious problems. the head's too small, and there are lines all around his head. Not right.

A couple of years ago the post office had a life size cut out of a girl holding mailing boxes, set up as part of their new display. Her head was at least twice as large as it should have been. Sort of the same thing here, except you expect it from the news media.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
You guys are photoshop happy or something! The picture looks perfectly normal. Nothing odd about a mans hair being messed up, the 'stange blond' you are seeing is known as 'gray hair'. Sunglasses, although ugly, do not look photoshopped either.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
for those of you dismissing the cardboard
cut-out option need to read this.

www.sptimes.com...

These life size cardboard cut-outs are called
Flat-Daddies and handed out to military families.
They can also be used in war zones as well
as decoys.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join