It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cassini Pictures Reveal Phoebe's Secret History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
New images from the Saturn-bound Cassini probe have provided an unprecedented glimpse of Saturn's moon Phoebe. Based on the new evidence - including what may be ice in the deep craters - scientists now believe that Phoebe was originally a comet, captured by Saturn's gravity millenia ago.

BBC
"Battered and beat-up as [Phoebe] is, it is still giving us clues to its origin and history," said Dr Torrence Johnson, an imaging team member from the US space agency's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, US.

Phoebe is thought to have an ice-rich layer overlain with a thin covering of darker material 300 to 500 metres (980 to 1,600 feet) thick.

"Based on our images, some of us are leaning towards the view that has been promoted recently, that Phoebe is probably ice-rich and may be an object originating in the outer solar system, more related to comets and Kuiper Belt objects than to asteroids," said Dr Carolyn Porco, head of Cassini's imaging team.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is a great glimpse of the astonishing discoveries which Cassini will allow us to make - but for my money, the most exciting part of the mission will be the arrival of the Huygens lander on Titan early in 2005.

Fascinating times ahead - keep watching the skies!

Additional link: Nasa's Cassini Page

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thats a BIG Comet!

A Big
to Saturn for snagging it,
Taking it out of circulation!

The Pics are really amazing, and I look forward to seeing more of the
Moons, especially the landing attempt on Titan by the ESA's Probe..

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Cassini
Mission News Briefing
Wednesday June 23, 10 a.m. PDT

Thought you might like to know.!

new topics

join