It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European police to spy on Britons: Now ministers hand over Big Brother powers to foreign officers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

European police to spy on Britons: Now ministers hand over Big Brother powers to foreign officers

www. dailymail.co.uk

Ministers are ready to hand sweeping Big Brother powers to EU states so they can spy on British citizens.

Foreign police will be able to travel to the UK and take part in the arrest of Britons.

They will be able to place them under surveillance, bug telephone conversations, monitor bank accounts and demand fingerprints, DNA or blood samples.

Anyone who refuses to comply with a formal request for co-operation by a foreign-based force is likely to be arrested by UK officers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25/7/10 by LiveForever8]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A dramatic U-turn? You don't say

I have been worried about the power that the EU wields for some time now and more and more of these stories keep popping up.

I wonder what it was that changed the MP's minds? Probably the usual promise of money and power.

The possible impact of this could be devastating. It seems that 'innocent until proven guilty' has now become 'guilty until proven innocent' - does our government not care for the citizenry at all?

I'm sick of our government bowing down to the EU on matters like these, it's sickening.

www. dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Then there is this article too..

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

So our police forces are already strained to the max and they decide to create a new 'British FBI' that will "focus on cross-border organised crime and drug trafficking, as well as providing support to individual forces."

I can see our forces disintegrating under the new system.

National Crime Agency, seems more like our version of the NSA than the FBI, and that's the last thing we need!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
More and more people are starting to drive with tinted windows and are even going for extra tint on top of the manufacures tinted windows because they are sick of all the CCTV's in their faces and if it carrys on then i for one will start waring a cap with dark sun glasses no matter how stupid i look.

We are all terrorists now, well that or pedofiles.

Correct me if i'm wrong but back in the 70/80's were we not told how bad the russians were for spying on their own people and are we all suposed to embrace it now becaue if that is the case then lets seem the contents of our politicians bank accounts for after all if they have done nothing wrong then they have nothing to hide.

You know that old cell phone you got with the old grey screen your thinking of throwing away well people will pay good money for it but i sugest you keep it because they are starting to remote activate phones so they record your every word even when your not on the phone and are uploading the data during the night and you can find sites warning about this and how to spot it.

Time we had another internet leak about politicans exspences and then lets see if they are still so keen to know when we take a piss.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
So our police forces are already strained to the max and they decide to create a new 'British FBI' that will "focus on cross-border organised crime and drug trafficking, as well as providing support to individual forces."

Don't send them to afganistan because the drugs production has gone up 300% since we liberated them and before anyone signs up to this war on drugs rubbish then explain why heroin is now 9 times cheaper then it was in the 70's after allowing for inflation.

Thats some war they are winning and for those that don't know check out a bit of history on the opium war we had with China in the late 1800's because you might be suprised to learn it was the british attacking China for not allowing our drugs in to China and was not the other way around as they like you to think at school.

it's not the people that need watching it big gov and the reason they watch us so close is because they fear us and know more and more people can see them for what they are.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

But we have been bowing to European law for some time now. I have come round to the belief that this is our fault. We have allowed this to happen by not making enough noise. It's fine for UKIP to hit the soap boxes, but we the people of Britain have become rather averse to protesting these days. Such is the watered down society we live in that our voices of dissent have become shadows of their former selves.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I agree, sort of. I believe that we, the citizens, do let too much slide - we aren't consistently vocal.

However, I would point people in the direction of the following...

'Million' march against Iraq war

Hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the streets of London to voice their opposition to military action against Iraq.

Police said it was the UK's biggest ever demonstration with at least 750,000 taking part, although organisers put the figure closer to two million. - news.bbc.co.uk...

February 15, 2003 anti-war protest

The February 15, 2003 anti-war protest was a coordinated day of protests across the world against the imminent invasion of Iraq. Millions of people protested in approximately 800 cities around the world. According to BBC News, between six and ten million people took part in protests in up to sixty countries over the weekend of the 15th and 16th; other estimates range from eight million to thirty million.

Some of the largest protests took place in Europe. The protest in Rome involved around three million people, and is listed in the 2004 Guinness Book of World Records as the largest anti-war rally in history. - en.wikipedia.org...

After the biggest series of demonstrations, on February 15, 2003, New York Times writer Patrick Tyler claimed that they showed that there were two superpowers on the planet, the United States and worldwide public opinion. - en.wikipedia.org...

And yet, we went to war. Now what kind of message does that send to the public? No wonder so many have been demoralised into apathy. After all, what's the point?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Isn't it a kind of group mentality, and depression/cop out to say we are getting this because we didn't stop it, as if its all in the bag, no effort needed now, nothing to do.

We need to do something, present tense, and make a lot of noise, present tense. I put it off too. Lets not anymore. Why is it over, it hasn't even begun. And until the end of this world or the curtain lifts, each day is a new day, present tense, a white page to raise our voices on.

They obviously aren't getting letters, every area should get an organized letter writing campaign going and some tshirts, emails, and even phone calls, with a message board where people can share ideas of what to write from somewhat mild to radical, and share success stories, of doing it without losing our cool. Firm, mad but not totally belligerant.
I usually lose it when I write to them.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I agree with respect to apathy based on previous attempts to vocalize opinion. Yes, the million-man march sent a clear message, but I think Blair would have taken us to war even if we threw crap at his door. Maybe it is the idealist in me, but we should start mobilizing now, especially with a new impressionable government in place. We, the people have the upper hand in this moment and should utilize this to our advantage.

Edit: Typo

[edit on 25-7-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
As with all things related to EU decisions, we can always go to the source, and in this case, if I am not mistaken, this is the text of the European Investigation Order.

I haven't read it all (it's too long and I am too tired), but it looks like things are not exactly as the news article says they are (as usual), but it's better if you see for yourselves.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks for that ArMaP, I shall give it a read at some point today.

The Daily Mail is the type of paper to throw this in the 'Big Brother are watching us! We're all doomed!' category so personally I'm not taking their headline literally. But I am very wary of anything the EU proposes.

I must say that there is a great difference between legislation written upon a piece of paper and that same piece of legislation once it is put into effect, and this proposal looks to have the potential to be misused tremendously.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

The million man marches were a sort of good idea, but aimed at the wrong people, sure aiming it at the politicians is always a good sign, but unfortunately it didn't work ,the politicians just shrugged their collective sholders and went back to counting the money they got from the war profiteers and lobbyists.
They totally ignored the meaning behind the marches, looked down on the public that marched as idiots or not worthy of their time.
What the million man marches SHOULD have done is marched INTO the parliament buildings around the world, and MADE the politicians listen by looking them in the face and warning them that no longer will the people of the world be ignored lest there be serious repercussions.
Politicians see the marches on TV in their fortified buildings safe in the knowledge that the public cannot get to them, its about time we re-addressed the issue and let them know that without OUR , the peoples consent they would be just another man on the street and if they are not careful thats where they will be left to think about their actions, are they working for US or themselves?.
But even if we did that, Agent Provocateurs would be interlaced with the general public to ensure that something happens and then the public would be displaced by armed forces in the pay of politicians, which is why most people even if they don't realise that fact will not join marches as they can't be bothered as their voice won't be heard, will it?.

new topics

top topics

join