It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police to experiment with blinding ‘Dazer Laser’?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Police to experiment with blinding ‘Dazer Laser’?

www.blacklistednews.com

Perhaps “Don’t Dazer Laser me, bro” doesn’t quite trip off the tongue. However, police in the Northwest may soon be experimenting with the Dazer Laser, a tool which, well, shoots, blinds, and disorients.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wondered when they would bring this out. It will also bring up new complaints regarding any side effects. Both genuine & placebo based. If I recall right (if that is) I recall reading a few years ago, 1988-89ish, that DARPA was working on something similar if not the same thing. They were going to abandon it in favor of some other project.
Anyway, it should be interesting also when Officers who would normally use their Taser in certain incidents, will hesitate to use it in the field. I know that when I was first issued the early model Taser M series I had some reservations until the first time I used it.
It will also be interesting to see the range on this thing and the question comes to mind, what if a terrorist got one and shined it at the cockpit, or crew on the inside ? Many questions come to mind regarding this device.

What do you all think?

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have also heard this sort of thing called a Dazzler. "Daze" sort of implies I'll be put to sleep but that seems unlikely in this case.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Oh, you bring up something here.

Cannot remember the Tom Clancy novel, but they used this weapon against a plane.

They shot the "gun" and it cause the pilots to become disoriented and blinded.

Hmmm, I read this I think about 20 years ago. Wonder how that could be, just fiction right?

I am going to write a little fiction here and now. The US is going to be ruled by the people for the people. We will live under Constitutional, Common and Natural Law. We will discontinue foreign entanglements. The federal reserve and everyone associated with the entity will have their assets seized and this will be used to pay of the debt. The system will no longer steal our labor and our unalienable rights to property and taxation will be based solely on the amount we spend and on no other basis.

Life will be good.

Thought I would try a little, foreshadowing.

Yes, back to the OP. This weapon has to effect the cerebral cortex and I want every LEO to have it used on them before it is used on one civilian.

That shall be the test phase. If one LEO refuses, this weapon shall NEVER be used on a civilian. Period.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Instead of spending millions of dollars on all these exotic weapons, ... I wish law enforcement would be trained to simply break out in a compelling dance routine, ... rendering the suspect in Awe and essentialy incapacitated.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Tom Clancy seems to have an eerie "knack" for writing future events into his novels..

And I 100% agree with this comment by endisnighe :

"That shall be the test phase. If one LEO refuses, this weapon shall NEVER be used on a civilian. Period. "
-
I can only guess how many siezures a weapon like this would induce on more susceptable targets..

~meathead

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I guess this would damage your eyes looking at the security spectacles the "demo" threats use..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

Yeah, forget about the warnings on video games. Warning, this weapon can cause epileptic seizures in susceptible individuals.

Being non lethal, expect these to be implemented constantly.

I see in the video posted above, depending on model, these can be effective up to 2400 meters. Hmmmm, almost 2.5 kilometers.

Where can I pick me up one of these bigger models?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

God help them if they screw up and actually blind someone permanently. BIG lawsuit.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't think this would be widely used in the patrol aspect of law enforcement, there are too many risks and variables to take into account for this to be an effective weapon. The use of a bright flashing light on a suspect under the influence of narcotics, especially those on strong hallucinogens, would only complicate a situation most likely leading up to the use of deadly force by inducing a "bad trip" if not a worse one.

Where I can see this being used is in corrections for cell extractions. With that you have a preplanned game plan with information regarding the inmate from jail medical and jail psych services, thus allowing the officer running the extraction to determine if using this weapon would pose any unnecessarily health risks on said inmate. Also, I can see this being installed as units attached to the corners of walls in prisons and jail facilities to quell inmate riots in dorms or cell blocks without worrying about using gas or spray which may effect areas not on lock down.

All in all, I wouldn't want to see this on the street carried by the average cop, but I would agree with it being used in Critical Incidents such as hostage situations and attempted suicides.

Cops are relying too much upon "toys" called less than lethal when they completely disregard the most effective way of policing, their mouths.
Verbal Judo

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
I have also heard this sort of thing called a Dazzler. "Daze" sort of implies I'll be put to sleep but that seems unlikely in this case.

Wasn't there some kind of 80s movie that was named that, or maybe it was flash point... where the bad guys were using a flash gun that would make you lose track of time.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

That shall be the test phase. If one LEO refuses, this weapon shall NEVER be used on a civilian. Period.

I have always shared that opinion myself

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Ain't that the truth! Or worse, some type of side effect with no cure

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
So...the pour law officers are getting bored...how sad it is...
So they are looking for news ways to torture us, and have some fun!

For some weird reason i think in Torquemada and the Spanish Inquisition each time i read something related to the police this days

[edit on 26/7/10 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This is asking for trouble. Using this against a well trained individual with care for public saftey in a test has the follwing effect:
Target cannot aim, target lowers weapon, in go the boys with their guns and thier nightsticks. Job done.
Use of this dazer tech against a random nutcase, or ganger will go like this however :
Douche has no respect for life, and an itchy trigger finger, so when he gets blinded momentarily , he starts letting fly in every direction till someone does us all a favour and empties his brain pan with a slug to the skull.
This will have drastic and unforseen consequences, trust.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Below is a video for the device.

Dazer laser Video

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
A small problem with this device is that it disorientates as opposed to debilitating the 'perp'.

That may not seem like much of a difference but think of it this way, troops are taught in early training how to deal with this sort of thing (in a way)... Blanks are fired near them, they drill with gas masks and tear gas and often there are flash bangs and all sorts.

What I'm saying is that it's a great idea, but someone who is expecting this sort of response can condition them selves to over come it... Maybe even with polarizing sunglasses, but defiantly with state of mind. It is not going to take anyone down, and some meat head bearing down on you could still beat and flatten you if he could grab you, temporally blinded or other wise.

I'm not exactly pro taser, but I'm also not exactly pro lethal force... Just pointing out the difference here, a taser will debilitate a person, a gun can debilitate as well (and kill of course) - this disorientates, and thus will have a different effects on different people... A pregnant woman may go into labour or even miscarry because of the shock, a trained boxer for instance may snort harder and get a little more pissed.

top topics

join