It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Don Black Hats in Vegas Next Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Hackers Don Black Hats in Vegas Next Week

www.pcworld.com

If you have plans to travel to Las Vegas next week, you may want to cancel them. Why? Because the city will be crawling with hackers attending a "Black Hat" conference on electronic security. The sponsors of the events describe them as "highly technical information security conferences that bring together thought leaders from all facets of the infosec world--from the corporate and government sectors to academic and even underground researchers."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If anyone is a true tech head or feels he would like to inject himself into the world of binary then i suggest a trip worth your time. Oh and as mentioned there will be a variety of people as mentioned above, so its totally upto you as to if and how you present yourself.

Just a side note: What you should avoid

* Avoid using your laptop or smartphone in open areas.

* Keep your fingers covered as much as possible when typing on any keyboards

* Turn off wireless and Bluetooth access whenever possible.

* Be prepared to change your passwords often.

Just like child in a candy store.

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is interesting. I think the article however sounds really stupid by stating maybe someone should change their plans to visit Vegas because a bunch of hackers are there. That city has conventions of all types every week. Like you are gonna get carjacked by people weilding joysticks and mother boards or something.

In any case, your advice list for people attending, is this just you guessing these things or do you know from experience of being there past years?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

These are not your average "joystick attari" user's, its is a who is who and what is what to be in the decade to come. As stated, when you see gov orientated companies attending you know its the real deal. As for your other question, who knows, if your wielding an ats shirt, you might be met with a "hello, your a conspiracy buff right ?"

But as the article mentioned and i do stress the point " avoid ....etc..." its purely for your own safety.

Back on topic, if you feel you have what it takes or feel you might want that extra kilobyte of feedback, then i suggest a stop over would definitely be worth your time.

Regards

tristar

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
In the spirit that people should be educated against what you have been told that its safe.

Researcher Demonstrates ATM ‘Jackpotting’ at Black Hat

In one of the attacks, Jack reprogrammed the ATM remotely over a network, without touching the machine; the second attack required he open the front panel and plug in a USB stick loaded with malware.

www.wired.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Feds can go there on duty and don't have to have their badges. Or maybe it's def con. I would be paranoid at either of those events haha.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the warning. I always leave my laptop in my room when traveling though. And I only use my cell phone for phone calls or a little txting to my son.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sounds like a fun adventure to me.

Would love to be a fly on the wall and watch people.

I would rent a computer when I got there and get a cheep anonymous cell phone to go with me.

I would put my special programs on the rented computer.

The event will definitely be a learning experience.

DISCLAIMER******************************
I, in no way, condone hacking and do advise others not to do so.
It is a criminal offense.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Why not red hats? Aren't most of the Linux nerds? Maybe they they thought it would look too "gay"...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Well , i think you should get yourself more informed about the capability of the hackers community

goin to be fun

Hacking=Art

[edit on 30-7-2010 by OTTOKARMA]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by OTTOKARMA]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Wow, so this black hat convention then the day after that ends is the yearly Defcon convention... Vegas should be an interesting place this week.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Likely there will be as many white hats there as black hat hackers.

Why do white hat hacker go to a black hat convention.
Where else would you find out what the bad guys are up to.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MermaidWatcher
reply to post by tristar

Why not red hats? Aren't most of the Linux nerds? Maybe they they thought it would look too "gay"...

Well i must say your reply brought a smile to my face. All jokes aside, there are some killer codes flying around there.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
"If you have plans to travel to Las Vegas next week, you may want to cancel them."

Damn- First Obama, then this Magazine.

All over a hacker convention.

Thanks for taking the buisness away from Vegas, we really needed that right now.

What is with this obsession with people telling other people to stay away from Vegas? Over a damned Hacker convention at that.

That said- I might go to it, I will wear my black hat =) Eventhough im not a hacker, I will blend very well. I just need to have a USB stick wrapped around my neck and I should be good to go.

Maybe I will learn some things =)

Here is a link to Black Hat website- www.blackhat.com...

Oh and BTW- I think this convention is already over with.
training: jul.24 - 27 | briefings: jul.28 - 29

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Common Good]

new topics

top topics

join