It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5280-feet-in-a-mile Law (Year 1595)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In 1595 Queen Elizabeth I, had the mile redefined from the old Roman value of 5000 feet to 5280 feet in order for it to be an even number of furlongs

petersmagnusson.com...

Was this related due the translation of the Bible by Wycliffe?

Lord Bacon was the legitimate son of Queen Elizabeth?
Is there any Rosicrucian movement?

SUM 1..32 = 528 (0)
33 = Bacon adds up to 33. A famous mason number.
www.light-of-truth.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Haha, interesting find.

Flag for you

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

Now I understand England F'd up Measuring system.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
yes they did S***w things up.

Just look at the Admiralty nautical mile, it was was defined as 6,080 feet.

Now we have one mile for land and one for water.

Yes the brits did make thing hard for the rest of us and now they want us to change to Metric. When H**l freezes over.(with global warming that is not likely)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
yes they did S***w things up.

Just look at the Admiralty nautical mile, it was was defined as 6,080 feet.

Now we have one mile for land and one for water.

Yes the brits did make thing hard for the rest of us and now they want us to change to Metric. When H**l freezes over.(with global warming that is not likely)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Hi Anned
From my British perspective we had the metric system forced on us by the Europeans so if we have to suffer why shouldn’t you.

In fact the UK has now been given permission by our Euro Overlords to use imperial and metric side by side.
telegraph.co.uk
In fairness metric is easier.
For Example
Instead of going to timber yard and asking for an 8 x 4 sheet of ply I now just ask for a 2440 x1220 sheet of ply.
See the difference.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by quadratic]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by quadratic
Hi Anned
From my British perspective we had the metric system forced on us by the Europeans so if we have to suffer why shouldn’t you.

In fact the UK has now been given permission by our Euro Overlords to use imperial and metric side by side.
telegraph.co.uk
In fairness metric is easier.
For Example
Instead of going to timber yard and asking for an 8 x 4 sheet of ply I now just ask for a 2440 x1220 sheet of ply.
See the difference.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by quadratic]

Eh? I don't get cm's. I go the home depot, I buy 2x4x10/8/6 (pick length) same with flat sheets as you put. I cannot convert, nor can I read the measurements on my tape if it's metric. I can however use fractions to a 16th in regards to lumber.
They trued instituting metric in school while I was growing up (80's thru the mid 90's)... I failed, it failed and I haven't looked back at it since.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by brutalsunI go the home depot, I buy 2x4x10/8/6 (pick length)
And yet for some reason 2x4's are actually 1 1⁄2 in × 3 1⁄2 in...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That's messed up.. but at least they are truly 8 feet long.. competently speaking of course..

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
josh mortian 20 years agaio they still sold ruff cut lumber and a ruff cut 2/4 is accutly 2/4 .what you are paying for is the finish they put on ruff cut lumber.
which is then a 1.5 by 3.5 .
personally I think its a scam but it is deeply embedded now just like standered
as for metric we would be much beeter off to use it world wide as the scale works buy logic . standered evolved from the 11 centry when a guy mesured things buy the langht of his arm . the problem wa no ones arm is the same langht . leading to people being hung for short selling leading to some king someware saying OK from now on its my arm langht every one will go by.
metric on the other had was devolveped totaly by science and they used as many natural numbers as they could find .
tell me what makes more logic 32% F = frezzing or 0% C = frezzing?
if you say F does then explane the 0 F what perpose it serves ? lol
and then theres fractions . with metric there are only smaller wholes .
I have 1/32 of a pie lolol

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Six miles in feet (6 x 5280 = 31680) is the sub-lunar distance around the New JerUSAlem.
Is this the reason why 5280 feet a mile is used?
www.greatdreams.com...

top topics

join