It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

So who will offer Jones the best fight in the future?

Shogun could of won if he would of stuck to a game plan and not try to go straight in at Jones, but oh well.

Over all I think rashad posses some serious threats to Jones, just because there fighting styles clash, and because they will both try to take advantage of each others week zones and that they both know the importance of having a game plan and sticking to it. Jones will most likely try to keep him at the end of his reach with his punches and kicks, even that little stop kick he does to the knees, that he picked up from watching anderson silva, in fact a lot of his style and the way he fights he picked up from silva. Which is a good idea on his part as there are worse fighters to pick up moves and ways from.

And rashad will just move around everywhere and not engage unless he has an opening, in the fight he had with chuck liddell he was counter fighting the whole time pretty much, and caught liddell when he was throwing his over hand right. I think he will try to do that in this fight as well, and if he can get past Jones reach and avoid leg pressure to keep him at bay and in striking range, then he can do the same thing. Maybe rashad will even try to take him down, if he has the opportunity that is, but even if he does I don't think he would have much of an advantage over jones on the ground and it can go either way.

Other then that the unpredictability of Jones is another thing working in his favor, he has more tools and ways to attack with then rashad or any other fighter I can think of at 205 right now. If anything a fight between Jones and Anderson Silva at 205 would be interesting, if he can defend his title from rashad and whoever is next on the roster at the 205 weightclass then a fight between Jones and Anderson would be a big fight, and should be interesting, especially if they both continue winning.

Will Anderson go back up to 205 after coming down to 185 for GSP?

I don't think we will ever see that fight, unless they both end up having losing streaks. It just would make no sense, both for the promotion of both fighters in there perspective weight classes, and that dana would not want to lose one of his poster fighters, for the same reasons. But if it did happen, then other then there size difference there is a thing that gsp is good at, were Anderson sucks at, wrestling and controlling people on the ground can give Anderson lots of problems. But gsp is fighting shields next, and shields is no joke so he has other things on his mind then fighting in some other weight class right now, and even if he beats shields there are still others at his weight class that can challenge him.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
NEWSFLASH

UFC buys Strikeforce!!!
sportschatplace.com...

Man, the competition just reached an epic state! Diaz back in the UFC is awesome, imo.
Also the heavyweight mix now is phenomenal!!!!!! Overeem, Werdum, Bigfoot and Rogers....Fedor?
Also, how will Paul Daley play into this?
I just hope this doesn't spread out how often a fighter fights anymore. I think these guys should ALL be fighting 4 times a year. This once or twice a year is crap, imo. 3 would be a good balance with time enough in between to train/recover. Too much time in between does no one any good.

I saw Bones Jones on Leno the other night, so I think MMA will grow even faster now with these stars all together.

Peace,
spec

ETA: Just found out the 2 organizations will still maintain exclusiveness, but I wonder about after the HW tourney in June, if the fighters will merge?
edit on 26-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I watched an interview with Dana White and he said Strike Force will not merge with the UFC and will be run as a separate brand. Much like the WEC was. I am sure down the road they will probably merge but he wouldn't say. He did say one of the reasons they bought it is because they need fighters. So as soon as some of the SF guys contracts are up they may go in to the UFC. I know he has wanted Overeem for while. I doubt they will get Fedor as he always has an escape clause in his contract if they get bought. And UFC does not co-promote.

edit on 26-3-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Guess I got a little too excited there! On a positive note, maybe a bigger bankroll will provide more exposure for Strikeforce and sponsorship, helping the sport grow overall.

Fight Night 24 tonight: I think Davis will beat lil Nog, but Nog is also hella dangerous on the ground, so it could be interesting. Hardy vs Johnson - I think Hardy will take Johnson by tko, but I think we might see Hardy exercise his ground skills that he has been working on, because I don't think Johnson has a good ground game.

spec

ETA: Just announced, Fedor is not retiring and WILL fight in July. The opponent has yet to be determined.
Inside MMA mmafightvideosonline.blogspot.com...
edit on 26-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

NEWSFLASH UFC buys Strikeforce!!!

Thats news to me, should be heating up in all weight classes now that they can get more fighters, and they should get nick diaz back in the ufc, it was one of the biggest mistakes the ufc management did when they let him go. A fight between him and the winner of GSP vs Shields should be in the mix me thinks, or at least that is what I would be shooting for.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Fight Night 24 tonight: I think Davis will beat lil Nog, but Nog is also hella dangerous on the ground, so it could be interesting. Hardy vs Johnson - I think Hardy will take Johnson by tko

More news to me but just checked the tube and its going to be on spike soon. And yes I would go with davis for the win against lil nog, and hardy with the ko.

ETA: Just announced, Fedor is not retiring and WILL fight in July. The opponent has yet to be determined.

Thats good news, I thought for sure he was going to retire, hopefully this time he takes it more serious, and focuses on adding to his game. I really think he needs to go train in different camps instead of training with the same old people he has for years and years.

As far as I know he trains somewhere in his town in Russia and once in a while he goes train with the dutch fighters up in Amsterdam somewhere. He really needs to break his routines and place himself into different camps with different people such as the ones in america, because no matter how good you are, your training partners and training methods are the things that will drive you to be better. And training in the same ol same ol way and place, gets to be routine and you don't improve as much, as when you switch it up.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Someone posted this in another thread, but I wanted to bring it here just to validate that all of that fancy stuff can actually work against you sometimes!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Thats actually a different camera point from a scene in a movie, forgot the name of the movie though, but it was about mma. But ya the only thing all those flips and handstands attacks will do is make you a easier target and waste a lot more energy, as well as leave you open, to a direct and straight attack, like your vid shows.

It's actually a very basic concept that people who first get into martial arts learn, the whole fancy kicks and air kicks are actually a lot weaker then basically any kick or punch you would do with a leg on the ground, so those jump kicks that they show in the movies don't have as much impact and force behind them, as a simple roundhouse shin kick or short spinning back kick would. It's all basic physics, and the most direct and shortest attack that puts the most weight and force behind it, and has a limb on the ground to not only follow through but absorb the force of impact, and as way to still be in control of your motion and body after the attack. Is way more effective then the same move that would be done in the air or in a fancy showy way.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

True true friend, my first martial art was Tae Kwon Do which was cool with the fancy kicks that I tried to emulate and utilize in point sparring, a whole different game for sure. I later studied Wing Chun and was taught that any kick above the waste should not be applied for the most part because you leave yourself open and off balance.
There is a time and place for some high kicks in MMA though, as you know. There are a handful of fighters in the scene now that can deliver a devastating kick. The roundhouse, spinning back kick and spinning heel/wheel kicks can do the job, but you have to be fast or apply them when your opponent is dazed or worn.

Spinning Kicks

Rogan does a good demo:

Peace and combat,
spec

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Did anyone catch TUF opener last night? That fight sucked and I have seen it before with some of these new guys, they are hesitant to serve up damage, which I can understand for some newbies, but there is no place for that in this level of competition.
Why do you think they discontinued the fight for the house? I thought that was not only more entertaining, but it allowed for a better assessment of the fighters. I wonder why the change?

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hey there mma fans, just wanted to post some info and share some sites.
I started a thread about favorite martial arts movies:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Also wanted to share a couple of mma sites for watching fights and mma shows:
www.mmashareforums.com...

mmafightvideosonline.blogspot.com... - On Inside MMA today the topic was friends who resist fighting each other. Gsp- Marquart, Sliva - Machida, Faber - Benevidaz, Jones - Evans are some examples.
Dana put it well imo, "friends are friends, but they don't pay my bills." However, Greg Jackson argues about the value of friendship, but brings a balanced perspective about sitting aside friendship temporarily for the sake of the sport as well as personal triumph or achievement.
What do you think about friends refusing to fight one another?

Peace,
spec
edit on 2-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I think the idea that you don't fight your team mates is a hold over fantasy they have from when they were kids watching martial arts movies. If you don't want to fight friends don't be a professional fighter for a living. As Bas said on the show; Just agree to go for broke in the fight and then shake hands and be friends afterwards.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Man did u guys watch the Diaz/Daley fight?!?! Wow! Diaz is really the epitome of a fighter imo, tough as nails and well versed with an iron chin. I's love to see him back in the UFC and I bet Dana would like to have him too.
Man Daley swings like a monster too, but Diaz literally beat his ass!
I was glad to see Aoki win and back in forum. He is a formidable foe for sure, and when he gets used to the cage, I think he will return to be a dominant figure.
Gilbert Melendez....WOW! Now that dude is a professional and as aggressive a fighter as I have ever seen! I had forgotten about him because he was off for a full year, then her returns like this? Wow!
A pretty good card last night, and I enjoyed the action!

Peace,
spec

ETA: If ya missed the fights u can watch em' here: fightvideosmma.blogspot.com...
edit on 10-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Seen it and it was a good card, good to see Aoki and Melendez win. But the Diaz vs Daily fight was the most entertaining, it was all back and forth, and they both got drooped and it looked like they could be ko'd when they did, but Nick with his style of striking just kept at it and didn't really give Daily a change to do anything really but to be on the defensive the whole time and not establish any rhythm with his power punching.

And off course the # talking that Diaz does in pretty much all his fights was interesting as always, and in the beginning of the fight Diaz dropped his hands and was talking # even more so then he usually does, and I think he got into Paul Daily's head with it, because everybody that Daily has fought so far was always afraid of his striking, and his big punches, but Diaz just walked right through his punches and out-struck him and broke down his confidence and messed up his rhythm, to tko him eventually.

And now that the UFC bought strikeforce, and with the fact that Nick's teammate Shields is going to be fighting GSP, and if GSP wins his up coming title fight. I definitely see a potential match up Between GSP and Diaz in the future, if they both keep on in there wining streaks. Because the way I see it, Nick is the second best fighter in mma right now right bellow GSP at welterweight, so eventually they will fight and it's only a matter of time.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

Seen it and it was a good card, good to see Aoki and Melendez win. But the Diaz vs Daily fight was the most entertaining, it was all back and forth, and they both got drooped and it looked like they could be ko'd when they did, but Nick with his style of striking just kept at it and didn't really give Daily a change to do anything really but to be on the defensive the whole time and not establish any rhythm with his power punching.

And off course the # talking that Diaz does in pretty much all his fights was interesting as always, and in the beginning of the fight Diaz dropped his hands and was talking # even more so then he usually does, and I think he got into Paul Daily's head with it, because everybody that Daily has fought so far was always afraid of his striking, and his big punches, but Diaz just walked right through his punches and out-struck him and broke down his confidence and messed up his rhythm, to tko him eventually.

And now that the UFC bought strikeforce, and with the fact that Nick's teammate Shields is going to be fighting GSP, and if GSP wins his up coming title fight. I definitely see a potential match up Between GSP and Diaz in the future, if they both keep on in there wining streaks. Because the way I see it, Nick is the second best fighter in mma right now right bellow GSP at welterweight, so eventually they will fight and it's only a matter of time.

Diaz second best behind GSP??? you're on crack! lol. Not really. GSP is my favorite fighter but Anderson Silva is hands down the best fighter out there. GSP is second. Not a close second though because he doesn't always win his fights as decisively as Silva does. Silva, recently, only had the one close fight with Chael Sonnen. All of his other fights displayed him in a way that shows he's in a league that nobody on the planet is on yet.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

diaz second best behind GSP??? you're on crack! lol. Not really. GSP is my favorite fighter but Anderson Silva is hands down the best fighter out there.

Ya but I was saying at the welterweight class he is the best at least for now, the way I see it unless GSP losses tonight's fight then he is the best fighter at welterweight, with Nick Diaz second best, at least till they fight and we will see who wins.

And Anderson Silva is a middle weight fighter, and a light heavyweight fighter, he is around 210 pounds and cuts to middle weight he fights at 185 pounds "middleweight" and 205 pounds "light heavyweight" classes. I really don't do the pound for pound thing because in an actual fight size matters, and usually the smaller guy is at a disadvantage, not always so! But more often then not the smaller guy is not the winner if he fights bigger guys. And thats why we have weight classes.

Oh and gonna put up my picks for tonights card UFC 129, some fights in that card have the potential to be really exiting.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shield: Got to go with GSP just because he has more tools and ways to win then shield. Jake Shield is really dangerous in two areas his wrestling/control and his jiu jitsu, but GSP is a good wrestler as well so he should negate the wrestling of Shields and as well as his Jiu Jitsu, if he can do that then he basically wins any way he wants. But I think it will be a stand up fight with GSP getting the ko in the 5 round or the decision win.

Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick: I seen Aldo fight a couple of times and the dude is good, so is Hominik. This fight I think will be the fight of the night, with there styles and quickness it will either end quick or it will be a back and forth fight. I got to go with Jose Aldo for the win, just because he looked really impressive in the fight I seen of him, more so then the Hominick fights I seen. Aldo by ko in 4th round.

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida: Got to go with Machida for the win, all he needs to do is what he always does just mover around on the outside and pick Couture off with punches and kicks. Though if couture gets top possition on the ground or gets a hold of him on the fence he has a good change of dictating the fight and getting the win. But I just think hes to old, 47 yr's old I think by now, and to slow to deal with Machida. I see Machida winning by decision.

Nate Diaz vs. Rory MacDonald: Got to go with Nate, he is like a smaller version of his brother, and the dude has no quit in him like his brother, so he should win by submission or tko in the third.

Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson: Haven't seen to many of these fighters fights, but from what I seen, I would have to go with Ben Henderson he just seems a more complete fighter.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Anybody watch the TUF finale, no great epic battles but moslty good fights.

Chris Cope looked very good and much improved in dominating Chuck O'Neil, was a big upset to me.It was good to see Ed Herman again,suprised it was over so quick against Credeur.The Kyle Kingsbury vs. Fabio Maldonado match was a slugfest, I don't think either will ever be top contenders but those guys stood and went toe to toe, excellent fight.I would have liked to see Ramsey Nijem beat dirtbag Tony Ferguson,but it looks like Ferguson might have a top notch stand up game,and may eventually make some noise in the division.

What I really tuned in for was the Guida vs. Pettis fight, and I was not disappointed, I thought it was an excellent fight of styles.Everyone knows Guida is a straight foward type fighter, he's coming right at you looking for the take down then some ground and pound,although he's not afraid to strike on his way in and probably has the best chin at 155 lbs.Pettis is a great striker and has one of the most dangerous guards in MMA,so even when Guida was on top Pettis was very aggressive looking for submissions, and was very close on a few occasions.I thought it was a very exciting fight, I was gritting my teeth thinking eventually Guida was gonna get caught and submitted, and Pettis was very agressive on bottom and with his striking as well.I heard people saying that it was a boring fight and I just don't get it or maybe they don't get MMA.

Good to see Guida stringing wins together (won 4 straight) as he's always been the gatekeeper in the division, but you gotta like this guy he's won Fight of the Night three times and Fight of the Year once,but lost all of those wars.He's not the most skilled or best athlete at 155 lbs.,but he works hard and always excites,so maybe another win and he'll get a title shot.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSouszay

Missed the fights but love Guida one thing about Guida is he always brings it, never a dull moment with him. You can be assured any fight he is in is going to be an exciting fight whether he wins or loses

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Tommorow night is Fedor vs. Henderson.... who ya got?

Neither guy has real crisp stand-up,but they both certainly have knockout power.I think Hendo has better wrestling,but Fedor is no slouch on the ground if it goes there.Fedor also has great judo/sambo skills so that could neutralize Henderson's wrestling.Henderson has fought up-weight before,but it has been a while,and if Fedor still has the desire to be the best it will have to show to beat Henderson.I do think the size,and possible power advantage will be the key for Fedor,I think it will be a good fight,but I think Fedor will eventually catch Hendo with a big punch and end it.

Probably my two favorite fighters ever,so I was really amped up to go to this fight.I bought a ticket as I don't live far from the venue,and then on Thursday got informed that I have to work,due to a co-worker getting injured,so I have to take his shift.Oh well work is money,so I shouldn't complain but damn,so I gave my ticket to my cousin.
edit on 29-7-2011 by KaiserSouszay because: edit

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSouszay

Sup KS, thanks for chiming in and pardon my hiatus from this thread, but I've been keeping up with things. Just a reminder, you can watch all the fights HERE, and THIS is anther good site with a forum.
Fedor, oh yea, glad he's up again and my money would for sure go on him. I watched some of his recent workouts and he seems to be in top shape. I like Henderson too, and of course he can knock a mo fo out with that hammer right, but I think Fedor is going to make sure he does not absorb another loss. Prediction, Fedor by Kimura in the 2nd. Then he will face Bigfoot again, who I think will continue to be a most formidable opponent. BF is not inly huge and strong, but his overall mma skills have improved greatly.

I am also glad to see Chael back in the game too! Interview Such an instigator, but he is good for the sport and excellent competition. Can't wait to see him and Silva again!!

How bout that Leberman KO over Vanderlai?Fight I think Van is finished in UFC. He was a great warrior though, and has nothing to be ashamed of. I'd love to see him and Chael fight, to settle the animosity between them.
Dominick/Faber was a good fight tooHere
Did u guys see the Congo/Barry fight? HERE Very entertaining!

In the future I am looking forward to Jones/Rampage too. Also glad to see Nick Diaz making a return to UFC 137 against GSP! He was gonna go into pro boxing, man that would be interesting, and I bet he would accidentally/instinctually take an opponent down when they clinch!

You know who else impresses me, Gilbert Melendez. His last performence was a perfect dislplay of mma competitiveness.FIGHT I hope he comes over to UFC.

Peace and combat yo,
spec

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join