It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Never watch this garbage, like ufc and boxing also, these should be banned.

What is humane about any of this and why do you people watch rubbish like this?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Well Andy, .... martial arts is about expressing the human body in combat. That can only be done against a competitor. It is poetry in motion, the ultimate test of skill.

These fighters get paid well, and love what they do. could you say the same for yourself ???

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It's funny, guys like Andy show up in ALL threads. Like clock-work. Why would he even click on this thread? Oh to tell us he's not a fan and thinks it's garbage. Duh.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Hey don't be like that andy, mma is a great sport. You just need to find the fighting spirit, then you to can enjoy the art of punching and kicking other dudes in the face, in a competition ofcourse. Everybody should learn how to fight, and we need to spread the joys of getting punched in the face to the world, especially to those who need it most like those who are a bunch of duchebags, they need to learn the gospel of respect and peace and all things awesome, that the martial arts can bring that to them, were they can learn the art of passing by and pacifism.

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it. ~ Author unknown

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well the Strikeforce Grand Prix is almost upon us. So just thought I'd revive the thread and say I think Fedor is going to take it.

A week ago I would have said Overeem, but for some reason I think Fedor is going to win it. We will see.

Whose your pick fight fans?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

My opinion on the whole Grand Prix, is Fedor is gonna take it in the end, but you can never be sure in mma, so we will see.

As for the bouts for tomorrows card I'll put up my 2 cents on that.

Fedor Emelianenko (230) vs. Antonio Silva (264)........ Fedor not only has the tools to defeat "Big Foot" silva but can totally murderize him. I know from what I have picked up from his last fight that Fedor was not as much into fighting as he used to be, hence his loss by that arm-bar which he should of been able to see coming from a mile away. Guess it comes with being on top for a while, and the fact that he is a laid back dude who only originally got into fighting mostly for his family and money, and that its something he has always done and is good at. So that fight should of served as a wake up call for him, and lit the fire once again.

The only thing big foot has on him really is size and strength, and the fact that the dude needs to cut weight to get down to 265 pounds, he needs to utilize that. Under no condition do I think he should stand up with Fedor for any length of time, if he can just fake a punch and get the clinch, once in the clinch try to put him on the floor or fight in the clinch till they hit the octagon net, and smother him there just knees and elbows till fedor opens up for a shot. Basically don't let Fedor get any rhythm at all, that should be big foots game, just smother him and never let Fedor find him rhythm, and if he can do that, then he can win by decision or tko. But good luck with that, if Fedor is serious and on game it should be a KO in the first round for him. So fedor by ko in the first, is my quess.

Andrei Arlovski (242) vs. Sergei Kharitonov (250)......Both guys are coming of losses I think, and Andrei has been ko'd a couple of times so his jaw once again will be his biggest concern. If he want's to win against Sergei don't get into a brawl with him because Sergei will win that fight. He should take Sergei's legs out for the first round with leg kicks see if that works for him, what he should do is get in throw something, then get out and try to make Sergei frustrated enough for him to come in blindly trying to get to Andrei jaw, and when he comes in look for it and go full blast. If he cant do that then Sergei will most likely win. This is a though call, but I got to go with Sergei just because andrie has a habit of not committing to his attacks, and becaouse of his frequent KO's that he had, those take a tool on anybody. So Sergei by ko in the second because Andrei got sloppy, is my quess.

Lavar Johnson (243) vs. Shan del Rosario (248).....Cant really comment on these guys, only seen a like 2 fights they had, but from that I say del rosario, should take the W by grit.

Valentijn Overeem (239) vs. Ray Sefo (249).....Ray Sefo is one of my favorite kickboxers, and he has been training with Randy Couture, so his ground game should be good enoph that he can keep Valentijn from dragging him to the ground, because if its a stand up fight then he is going to get ko'd eventually by Sefo. So got to go with Sefo by TKO in the third if he can keep it on his feet.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hey hey guys, back on the boards for some MMA action!! Thanks to everyone that keeps the thread alive, it's appreciated!
@ Hawkiye - I'm with you, I think Fedor will take it via his most successful move, the Alma Plata in the 2nd round. You know trying to knock Bigfoot out would most likely be futile, not to mention one would risk their hands on his ginormous noggin! I hope to see Fedor vs Overeem for the final, that would be dynamite!!

@ galadofwarthethird - Hey there galad, welcome again to the mix! I agree that Fedor will most likely be victorious! Arloski? man I don't know, I have lost faith in him and his glass chin, he hasn't been the same ever since losing to Silva, I think he's afraid of getting hit a little. I'm calling Sergi on this one, though I am not too familiar with him, what I have seen is impressive.
Looking forward to the Overeem/ Sefo fight too, should be interesting! It's a dang shame we have to wait a whole year for this tourney to pan out, oh well. I think Rogers will do pretty good also. Is Barnett in or out? it's hard to keep up with that guy's journey!

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Fedor versus Silva.

Who do you have? I have fedor obviously. Should be a fun fight to watch. If fedor clinches and takes silva down, we could be in for some G and P.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yep I agree, a Fedor vs Overeem final will be awesome.
Also, I hope they get this super fight between GSP & Anderson Silva official.

Peace 2 all

edit on 12/2/2011 by Hazz-14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
aaahhhh!!!

Fedor just lost to Silva and I just lost my life savings,I don't have to funds to cover me and my bookie got problems!

Just kidding I lost $10 bucks, I gave Silva a chance goin in just due to his sheer size advantage but daam! Silva was just to big when he got Fedor on the ground,Fedor has always been great on the ground even from a bad position he's always found ways to reverse,I think dude was just too big.

Fedor now talking retirement,still one of the all time greatest pound for pound fighters ever.
P.S. gotta give Silva some credit due, he was impressive in beating a legend.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Fedor vs Bigfoot

What a WAR!! Man there were at least 6 punches thrown by Fedor in the first round , that would have knocked most mofos out, but Silva's skull has to be thicker than shiat! I have seen him take horrendous blows and knees to the head and he never shuts down.
On the ground with him is futile because of his frame, weight AND BJJ skills, damn, did you see how wide his back was! And the thing about giants like that, their striking power is friggin' intense. Those hammerfists rocked pretty hard.
How about the end of the 2nd when Bigfoot waves his finger " no no" you can't twist my ankle/heel! Probably felt like twisting a stump.

Fedor took a beating man, and though he was getting beat up, I'd still say he still had a chance. I also think the fence saved him at the end of the 1st. Silva hit him devastatingly with a right 3 or 4 times and I saw Fedor's body gel out for a second.
I hate that Fedor has back to back losses, we'll have to see what's next. He still has some good fights in him imo.

Did Arlovski DIE?!?!
I only saw the fight til the very end at the stoppage, and Andre looked dead man! Serg has some power in his punches!!

Del Rosario looked good, composed and strong.

Overeem - Did you see that front kick just miss Sefo's head? That woulda hurt! Sefo had some great speed for being so boxcarish, he reminds me of Hunt. He should of had Overeem, but all it takes is one good move.

I'm thinking Bigfoot may just take it, even from Overeem.
edit on 13-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSouszay

Well said and I agree! Silva is a giant....WITH mad skills! I think he may take it all.
Thanks for commenting

spec

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Ya it's sad fedor lost, but I knew from his last fight that his heart really isn't really into fighting as much as it used to be, you can tell from watching him fight and the fact that he still is following the same game plan and same style, once you lose that drive then pretty much its time to take a big break from fighting or hang up the gloves, and like he said after the fight, he thinks his time is up.

But I hope not yet, he still would make any fight card interesting. He should of thrown straight punches and sooner or later he would of caught Silva. But anyways hopefully one day he will find the fire once again, and I'll miss watching him fight, but like all things, time move on. And you got to give credit were credit is do and Silva did exactly what he should of done, pressure Fedor put him against the cage, then take him to the ground and don't let him get back up and pound on him like a drum, and he messed up his eye pretty bad.

On the ground with him is futile because of his frame, weight AND BJJ skills, damn, did you see how wide his back was! And the thing about giants like that, their striking power is friggin' intense. Those hammerfists rocked pretty hard.

Ya no matter what they say size matters. And they don't call him "big foot" just because he has big feet, the dude has gigantism and I'm pretty sure he can get close to 300 pounds or over, if he does not watch his weight, or if he did not train for fighting and was just doing regular things, he would shoot up in weight pretty fast, with his condition and size.

Did Arlovski DIE?!?! I only saw the fight til the very end at the stoppage, and Andre looked dead man! Serg has some power in his punches!!

It's over for arlovski thats 4 straight ko's he has suffered I think. And the thing is once you get knocked out like that, you are more prone to get ko'd easier next time, and there is a reason they call the jaw area the "button" there are so many sensors and nerves in that area that all interwind straight into you brain. It's really a subconscious reaction/mechanism that all of us have, its just a way for the brain to protect itself, by shutting down all motor sensors.

And it learns, so really each time you get ko'd it just makes your brain go into emergency shut down faster and quicker, then the last time it happened, especially from the punches you don't see coming. So even those who have a iron jaw, if it keeps happening that they take damage or get ko'd multiple times, then sooner or latter they will either suffer brain damage, or suffer glass jaw syndrome were the brain tries to protect itself and it's lights out.

Overeem - Did you see that front kick just miss Sefo's head? That woulda hurt! Sefo had some great speed for being so boxcarish, he reminds me of Hunt. He should of had Overeem, but all it takes is one good move.

I wanted Sefo to win, mostly because used to watch his kickboxing fights and the dude is a entertaining stand up fighter, but ya once you take somebody who knows mostly stand up fighting to the ground, there literally like fist out of water. And it didn't surprise me that Overeem submitted him. It just makes this saying all the more true. "If you cant fight on the ground, then you cant fight"

And shane looked impressive in his fight, the dude can move for his size, and is definitely well rounded, strikeforce could possibly have championship or contender material with him.

But now that Fedor is out of the competition, then I got it down to Big Foot, Overeem, Josh Barnett, or Werdum. Any of those guys can beat the others on any given night, so it should be interesting to see who comes out on top now. As the fights narrow to less and less, we will see.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

As usual, thanks for a detailed perspective galadofwarthethrid

I am wondering if skilled gigantism should be outlawed in the sport?

Not really, and you are right about Fedor, he has made is mark in the world and I will always give him full respect!

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Sad night to watch Fedor get dominated and then say he might retire. All class even in defeat. It's the end of an Era.

For ten years he dominated undefeated and set the bar for the heavy weights. If not for him setting such a high bar we would not be seeing the caliber of fighters in the heave weight ranks we see today. For a decade every heavy weight and many of every weight class looked to Fedor as the model to emulate. He has contributed greatly to MMA! What a warrior!

Finally now we see heavy weights who can compete with Fedor and finally beat him. I think Fedor could still dominate today if he wanted to, however I don't think his heart is in it anymore. He is the greatest of all time he's had a great run going ten years undefeated, it will be a long time before anyone equals or exceeds that.

Salute to the Last Emperor and Greatest of all time!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Salute to the Last Emperor and Greatest of all time!!!

I'll raise a glass/mug to that hawkiye

I just heard he can still qualify as a replacement if needed. C'mon Barnett, go eat some muscle candy so you can't pass the screening test.....AGAIN!

We have not seen the last of Fedor, even if his best days are fading, he will still knock a mo-fo out. I still think he could have beaten everyone in the tourney, but of all those guys, I would have guessed Silva would be the toughest because he is very hard to knock out, and too damn big for the ground. That's right, I'm still on the Fedor bandwagon!

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Fedor versus Silva:

At some point you keep throwing bigger and more talented guys at Fedor and the inevitable happens.

Fedors' not even 6 foot tall, and barely 230. Bigfoot Silva was a RIPPED 290 (supposed) on fight night. A 60 LB weight difference is like sean sherk fighting shogun. Eventually it's no contest. You keep throwing bigger and more talented guys at Fedor, a man whose been fighting over a decade, and what do you expect?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Fedors' not even 6 foot tall, and barely 230. Bigfoot Silva was a RIPPED 290 (supposed) on fight night. A 60 LB weight difference is like sean sherk fighting shogun. Eventually it's no contest. You keep throwing bigger and more talented guys at Fedor, a man whose been fighting over a decade, and what do you expect?

Thats one of the whole things thats messed up about the whole weight classes thing. The fact that you get things like that, and in the heavyweight category its really mismatched, you have dudes like bigfoot or Lesner who drop a lot of water weight before they step on the scale, and come fight night, they are usually are 20 pounds heavier then during the weigh in's. So really in all the weight categories it's just bigger dudes cutting weight to get into a weightclass to have an advantage over the smaller fighters there.

But still it's not all about the weight, and fedor if his heart was into it like it was a couple of years ago. Then in my opinion he has all the tools to not only win, but to destroy big foot even though Silva has the weight advantage, he does not have the speed and quickness advantage. And even in this recent fight, if he only would of thrown some straight punches, then he would of got though big foots guard, and could of kod him. But all he did was throw those winging punches he does, which works against some, but not against silva on that night.

All he really needed is a couple of straight punches right between the arms of silva, not really to even knock him out, but just to get him to move his hands in front of his face more to block the incoming straight punches, and as he is doing that one of those winging punches fedor usually throws would of caught silva in the head or temple area clean. All he needed was a clean shot like that, and silva would of been seeing double, and from there fedor would of swarmed on him, and most likely would of got the KO. Even during the fight one of the announcers said it, that he needs to set up his overhand right. So it's really the little things like that, and it could of been a whole different fight.

It's really just about game-plan, and utilizing all your skills to win in that certain situation which your opponent provides for you, which Fedor did not do and lost, and "big foot" silva did and he won. And the rest I think is just drive, after all those years and fights Fedor really has nothing more to prove both to himself or to his fans, and really I don't think he even needs the money, or its not such a big driving factor as it was back a couple of years ago. And Silva was just hungrier then him and more focused on what he needed to do to win the fight.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Wathed a bit of the BAMMA tourney and P. Daily looked good, strong as hands!
Penn vs Fitch....meh, wasn't too excited for this one, but it was pretty even matched.
Bisbing is a punk, but every sport needs someone to hate on, and his antics continue to put him in that light.
But Jorge? He doesn't even belong in there imo, never been impressed with him.
Mark Hunt, love the dude and really glad to see him back in the groove. He's a tank with an iron skull, and he hit's friggin hard! Looks like he's lost some weight and has more endurance. I'd like to see him climb his way back to the top 10 heavyweights.
Sotiropoulos is always strong, but he has to work on his shoots. First time to see Siver, but I'm impressed. Did you see that first spinning wheel/heel kick!?
That could take someone's head off!!

spec

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

What did you guys think of the Lytle/Ebersole fight???

I was glad to see Ebersole win...so many people claimed he had no chance at winning...and I think he pretty much dominated Lytle in the last two rounds. He has an impressive record and seems to have worked hard to get his shot in the UFC.

And how about those cartwheel kicks and that vicious knee....I thought it was the best fight of the night...and apparently so did the UFC since it got "fight of the night".

And if you are wondering why he does cartwheel kicks:

edit on 27-2-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join