It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
What do you guys think of Sonnen's constant dissing of Mike Tyson? I almost think there may be another MMA vs Boxer arrangement in the works. I think a Tyson/Sonnen fight would be a big moneymaker, and I know Tyson has to be irritated from Chael's comments. I realize Mike has mellowed in his years, but still, I think he might jump at an opportunity to get a little limelight. We know he and Dana are friends so who knows, right?

The dude does not really talk # per say, but he has a habbit of saying things to get under peoples skin. I have not heard him talking smack of Mike Tyson of all people. But tyson is retired for years the dude is probably way out of shape.

But if by some miracle that fight happens, oh man chael better take the fight to the ground and fast. Tyson even out of shape and out of practice would still ko his ass fast. But under mma rules the way I see it. If tyson today and even in his prime does not end the fight withing seconds, then he will get taken down and pounded on or submitted.

You know I remember when he was still boxing and at one time I think they were even going to make a K1 fight under K1 rules back in the day when he was ko'ing fools and the baddest man on the planet. I think they almost set up a fight, but Tyson or his managers pulled out. Under K1 rules against dudes like Ray Sefo or semmy shilt or mighty mo, it was 50/50 chance of him winning because there was no ground fighting.

I think they had dudes lining up to fight him because back then he was still famous and his head was worth a lot of money. But now a days and especially under mma rules i think it will be a no contest, really all anybody has to do is take him down and submit him, and even in his prime against the heavyweight fighters in mma today, it would of still been a no contest.

But if it was a boxing match, then Tyson would murderise chael or most of them.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

so what, Diaz or Condit?

im going with diaz, either by tko or sub

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hard to call could go either way. I am rooting for Condit but would not be surprised to see Diaz take it either.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Just found this thread
pretty huge MMA fan here.

reply to post by DarkwingDuck82

so what, Diaz or Condit?

Same thoughts as me, I wanna see Diaz vs GSP, they're like opposites, the polite smiley Canadian vs the serious and disrespectful Diaz from Stockton, Condit will give Diaz a mean battle though!

However this, on the other hand:

Is a war I badly want to happen now

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hey hey fight fans, looking forward to tonight's battles!
Man, I always had respect for Diaz, but I have really gotten to like the dude and think he is the epitome of a gritty true fighter. Condit is impressive too, and I was surprised to find out he is taller and has a greater reach than Diaz. I think he will give Nick more trouble than he has seen in a while. Although Diaz has faced more talented fighters overall,Condit has skills in all areas, including a good chin. I think Nick will do what he always does, come forward and wear Condit down, keeping him moving backwards making it hard for Condit to get much off. I think this one may get bloody and I worry about Nicks brow getting cut open with all the scar tissue.
I call Diaz winning in a decision, because he lacks knockout ability with Condit,but still outfights/scores him.

Looking forward to the Kos/Pierce fight, because I always hope Kos gets beat up. I'll give hi credit for his wrestling skills, but I never have liked the dude and think he acts like a punk most of the time. Judging by the weigh-ins, Pierce doesn't like him either.

Barao/Jorgenson may be interesting. Barao has a record of 21 and 1, and I have not seen him before. But that's an impressive record, imo.

reply to post by Realm52

Welcome to the thread Realm52, thanks for the input.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yeah the Berao v Jorgenson fight is an awesome fight. I am a little biased toward Jorgenson as he is from my area but I am not that familiar with Berao so hopefully will be a good fight.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
SPOILER ALERT

Well that was a good card last night and I dug the fights!
Berao/Jorgenson was a good fight and I agree with Jorgenson's coach in between rounds, he can't fire off a couple of shots then stand there. Berao was too good for that. He looked good in all areas, almost textbook. He kept his hands up well and had devastating leg kicks. He will be a force to reckon with...look out Aldo.

Werdum surprised me. I knew he had a dangerous ground game, but he has dramatically improved his standup using Muay Thai fairly successfully. Credit to big Roy too though, what a fighter! I think Werdum will be a good addition for the heavyweight division.

Someone needs to teach Bruce Leroy how to lock a choke and neck crank, how to lock a triangle, and how to keep his hands up. He looked amateurish in his performance. He has some decent talent and a good chin, but he looked kind of weak out there.

Kos? Meh, same ole same ole, and I wish he would have lost.

Poirier and Holloway both looked good, and Holloway is just getting started.

Diaz/Condit - What a surprise! Condit had a brilliant strategy and stuck to the plan of getting back to the center of the ring and being elusive instead of allowing Diaz to corner him. Carlos threw so many different strikes too, even though many missed, he still kept busy. This was the first time I saw Diaz frustrated and I wish he had tried more to take it to the ground. I could have seen the decision go either way, but yea, I think Condit outscored him. Diaz did make some good points about how he saw it, but his little bitch-fit was kind of sore-loserish to me, and looked immature imo. WIll he retire? He might, but I sure hope not. I really like Diaz but it seems he still has some maturing to do. I don't want to see him mellow out or anything, he just needs to hold his head high and keep on fighting. I am looking forward to watching the post fight interviews.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Post fight interview:www.fightvideomma.com...

Diaz still has one more fight on his contract, so hopefully he will get over this and continue to be an active fighter. Kos and Diaz? Maybe Dana says..

So Werdum was really trying to trick Roy when he pointed to the floor. That's friggin hilarious! "Look," bam!!!
I thought he was pointing to a mouthpiece or slippery spot. What a tactic
I think the first time he made Roy look too.
edit on 5-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkwingDuck82
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

so what, Diaz or Condit?

Crap missed this fight as well.

But I would of gone with Diaz, for the win. Just watching this fight now, I was even looking forward to it...Then I completely forgot about this fight even when I knew it was coming up.

Cant say I disagree with the results, condit did what he had to do to win. And nick couldnt peg him down or do what he wanted to do. Ussually condit goes right in toe to toe and swings with dudes, but against nick he went a completely different strategy. If he fought like he usually fought then nick wold of peeper'd him like he does with everybody and eventually ko'd him.

He did what he had to do, keep nick at bay with legs shots, and don't stay in the pocket with him always move away from his shots. I pictured this fight going different I didn't think condit would of stuck to the gameplan and went toe to toe with nick, and though he would of lost it would of been a swing fest if he fought like he usually fights.

Though I hate when fights are so close, condit won. But not by much, mostly just by getting in cleaner shots and more hits then he got.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Condit put on a technical clinic of lateral movement nailing Diaz then circling out unlike most of Diaz recent opponents frustrating Diaz. Very smart move not to stand and let Diaz hit him. Lateral movement is very under utilized in MMA even at the highest levels. Frankie Edger, Silva, Machida, Aldo and a few others use it but most guys back straight up. It has always amazed me how few use it. If BJ used it more he would be hard to beat even at WW. That is how he lost to Frankie and he could have beat Diaz had he used it. Its boxing 101.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Fabricio Verdum vs Junior Dos Santos rematch

Fabricio Werdum Looking Forward To Future Rematch With Junior Dos Santos

"It's obvious. I have to fight 'Cigano' again," said Werdum, in a recent interview with Tatame.com. "When he got here, people didn't know him in the UFC and I took that fight. When UFC offers me this fight, in three, four fights from now, I hope he accepts it."

and could possibly be fighting Frank Mir in Brazil in June

UFC: Fabricio Werdum Eyes a Potential Bout with Frank Mir in Brazil

As for a possible opponent, Werdum declined to call anyone out, but mentioned Frank Mir as a strong candidate, saying, "If it's Frank Mir, excellent. If it's not, it's ok. I just wanna show I'm in the Top-10 of the division."

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

Werdum vs Mir is an interesting matchup.

Werdum's standup looked impressive against Nelson, largely because he was able to keep Roy on the outside and due to his effectiveness in the clinch. Mir is the bigger man in this fight however, without the reach advantage I think you have to give Mir the edge on the feet going into this one.

On the ground the situation is reversed. Mir is a celebrated grappler and his Kimura of Nog was a thing of beauty, but Werdum is a two time ADCC champion, and has impressive submission wins on his resume as well, including Fedor and #1 Contender Alastair Overeem. Based on this I have to give the advantage to Werdum on the ground.

This has the potential to be a great fight but it could also turn into Werdum flopping on his back like he did against Kharitonov and Arlovski when things weren't going his way standing.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

And if you are going to use lateral movement you probably shouldn't circle to your opponents powerhand... Ask Bisping..

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ran across this in another forum, presented as a worthy up and comer. This is his first mma pro fight. His style reminds me of Anderson S a bit. A little clownish, but I think he has good skills. This wasn't exactly a good test for him though.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Reminds me more of Naseem Hamed than Anderson Silva. Amazing Kick though

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

I forgot all about that dude, but you are correct. This new guy(can't find his name) is a kickboxer too, so maybe he studied the Prince some.

There is something to be said for striking with hands at side. It presents a harder angle to defend, can be a source of great power and speed. Fedor utilized this to a degree too, as did Roy Jones Jr. The danger is, of course, getting hit by another skilled opponent. But that is where elusiveness plays a part.

spec
edit on 9-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Who has the best leg locks?
I have never seen Imanari, but whoa! Check out the move at 4:42.
Palhares seems intent to not just win, but to destroy his opponents limbs. I have never seen him do anything less, and I would imagine this strikes fear into some opponents. He is excellent at leg work, but I think Imanari is at another level. The way he gets to his positions for the locks is incredible and fast.

Warning: Graphic Content

Masakazu Imanari highlight

Rousimar Palhares - Highlight

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well Nick Diaz is in trouble again, and has tested positive for cannabis. Not sure what the repercussions are, but I am sure they are temporary. Upon doing some research, this is his 2nd time to test pos, and the first was right after the Gomi fight. He tested 3x the normal amount of thc. So basically he fought high as a kite and won!
www.vancouversun.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Well Nick Diaz is in trouble again, and has tested positive for cannabis. Not sure what the repercussions are, but I am sure they are temporary. Upon doing some research, this is his 2nd time to test pos, and the first was right after the Gomi fight. He tested 3x the normal amount of thc. So basically he fought high as a kite and won!
www.vancouversun.com...

I don't understand the point of fighting on a banned substance, even if he won, he would have had the belt stripped and it would have been ruled a N/C.

This is his second violation of this and will probably get a year suspension for it, so it really proves to me how little I understand this guys way of thinking...

it was a great fight though, and though Condit won 2, 3 and 4 winning him the decision. I thought Nick had the first and had back control in the 5th making those rounds his, so the 49-46 decisions were kind of shocking but, it didn't affect the outcome of the fight at all.

Koscheck looked pretty bad in his fight and for saying this guy shouldn't be in the ring with him, he managed not to back up his words, and to me shouldn't have won the decision.

Barao looked good while not looking as dominate as he has before but still proving he belongs at the top of his weight class. Hopefully he gets the winner of Cruz/Faber in the future and wins the title.

And Bruce Leroy's fight was crazy. While I understand getting kicked in the nads is not enjoyable, these guys are wearing a cup and both incidents were accidents. The guy to me was milking the accident as much as he possibly could. Herb deducting 2 points was ridiculous and cost Bruce the fight where he should have won it. Bruce really needs to work on his BJJ because there were plenty of openings were he could have finished the fight and not let it go to decision which was quite frustrating...

It was a decent night of fights, and I forgot about this thread or I would have posted sooner.

Pred...
edit on 11-2-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Thought I'd add this post here as well:

Originally posted by Realm52
Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz rematch set

Just several days after defeating Nick Diaz in a UFC welterweight interim title bout, Carlos Condit has agreed to a rematch, promotion president Dana White said late Tuesday night. "The rumor is true," White said via Twitter. "Carlos did accept the fight today.

UFC has not yet set a date or location for the Condit-Diaz rematch."

Well considering Nicks's been nabbed for THC again and the fact he said he'll retire, will the fight actually happen?

Carlos Condit on rematch -

"Yeah I had talked to Dana and talked to Dana I believe Tuesday morning and he said it would be a huge fight and I agreed. So we were just going to hash out the details. Then there was word coming from Nick’s camp that the fight might not happen so we were sitting around very curious why the rematch might not be happening.”

sportsradiointerviews.com...
So it's up to Nick I guess? man I hope it happens.

edit:

It remains uncertain the extent Diaz will be disciplined. But if Diaz is available to fight and if Georges St-Pierre takes longer to recover than anticipated, Condit's up for another five rounds with the former Strikeforce champ.

"I’m in this game to fight big fights and to fight the best in the world," Condit said. "Nick’s one of the best in the world. It’s something the fans would like to see. I’m willing to give Nick a rematch."

edit on 15-2-2012 by Realm52 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2012 by Realm52 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join