It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

He sort of walks the walk, he beat a non top 10 in Stann, and when he worked Silva before tapping out, Silva had hurt ribs. I think if we see a rematch of Silva and Sonnen, Silva walks right through him.

The one fight I am mad that Joe Silva made is Rampage vs Bader. Bader is nowhere near the fight Rampage is and with Rampage being top 4ish and Bader not even being top 10, I was a bit pissed off.

Oh, and BTW, my favorite fighters are BJ Penn, Rampage, A Silva, W Silva, Shogun, Fedor, Overeem and even though I hate their personalities, the Diaz brothers are amazing fighters.

I also dislike GSP. I know everyone likes him and because I am Canadian I should like him, but to me he is overrated. He is an excellent wrestler, and I cannot wait for Condit or Diaz to beat him.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I want to see Silva walk through him, but I just don't think it will happen like that. I do think it could happen like that though
. Chael's take down and side control are masterful. Even though I don't like this approach, it has been proven to be very effective in mma. Stann was not top 10, but he was a formidable opponent, imo, and Chael just dominated him. I used to despise the dude, but now I think he's great for the sport. I do think his comments about Brazil were out of line though. I'd like to see him and Vanderlay give it a go.

I too am a Diaz fan and look froward to the Condit fight. I also think Nick could be the one to beat GSP. I hear ya though about GSP, much of the luster has worn. I still think he could give a great fight, if he does not play it so safe. Can't say I blame him too much, but in the spirit of competition, I say give it your all! I hope GSP stays strong though, and eventually fights Anderson and Diaz.

Then, ultimately I want to see Jones against all these guys, to see how he would fare.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Chael will put the same beating on Silva or worse this time but not get submitted. Silva's ribs were not hurt that is a BS excuse. You can tell by the way he was moving he was fine. Chael just shut his game down and wrestlef****ed him. Even dropped him a couple times with straight rights. Whenever Anderson tried to tee off he would draw a limb back with Chael attached and end up on his back.

I seriously doubt Anderson will fight Chael again he has turned down four offers to set up the fight and claims Chael does not deserve a rematch. That is called ducking. I agree Anderson does have the tools to end it quick but I think Chael will take the rematch if it ever happens.

Chael is gonna wreck Bisping. Bisping will try and run and out point him but he will end up on his back and Chael will carpet the octagon with his carcass

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Dana said in his last blog that the winner of the Sonnen Bisbing fight will face Anderson next. You know that's gonna be a record setting viewage and money maker, but yea, all of Chael's blogs were him saying Silva would not take the fight and he(Chael) was just over it. I wonder if Silva can tell Dana no? I would not think so. Anyhow, I just can't see this fight not happening, and if it happens in Brazil, wow, now that would be a spectacle!!

ETA: I think Cheal should move up to 205 too, there is much better competition there. Unless Diaz and GSP move up to 185.
edit on 22-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by hawkiye

Dana said in his last blog that the winner of the Sonnen Bisbing fight will face Anderson next. You know that's gonna be a record setting viewage and money maker, but yea, all of Chael's blogs were him saying Silva would not take the fight and he(Chael) was just over it. I wonder if Silva can tell Dana no? I would not think so. Anyhow, I just can't see this fight not happening, and if it happens in Brazil, wow, now that would be a spectacle!!

ETA: I think Cheal should move up to 205 too, there is much better competition there. Unless Diaz and GSP move up to 185.
edit on 22-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

Yes fighters can turn down fights but then Dana will be pissed and you may never fight in the UFC again unless you are a champion but still Dana will retaliate somehow if you do. Anderson has been hinting at retiring he fears tarnishing his so called legacy as the middle weight champion if he loses to Chael. Anderson has great skills however he is a paper champion iMO because all his UFC wins except Chael have been with mediocre fighters. And when finally we get someone like Chael who is capable of beating him and did for 4.5 rounds he ducks him and we start hearing of injuries and retirement etc.

And the P4P rhetoric really irks me. Let him move up to LHW and seal his legacy instead he wants to pick and choose his fights so he can fight journeyman and not risk losing to some real competition. I do think Dana may persuade him to take the fight but he might just retire since he is a millionaire now. I Don't like him and GSP because they are just about playing it safe and protecting thier so called legacy rather then putting it on the line. I respect GSP's record more though cause at least he has fought and beat real competition but his greasing really soured me on him. Not a Diaz fan but hope he or Condit beats GSP.

Chael has already said he will move up to 205 and fight Jones or anyone else. I think he would give Jones a run for his money but I think Jones would beat him. With Chael you know there is going to be fight win or lose he takes it right to his opponents that's what I like about him. And of course the trash talk is hilarious.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

What are A Silva and Chael fighting again? Or after the chael vs bisbing fight.

A Silva has all the tools necessary to walk trough chael if they fought again, Silva weakness is the ground game and a guy like chael will always give him problems. But in there first fight Silva in my opinion was to scared and cautious to take a change.

It's basically a mental thing, silva knows that chael style is his weakness and so in his head he does not play to his strengths and takes the cautious path. And in doing that it kind of plays into chael's style, and the grind game. If anything if silva loosens up during the fight and finds his rhythm I think he will play ping pong with chaels head, even ko him in the second round.

The thing is as soon as chael starts to get pommeled or beat up, he will do anything to take it to the ground even pull guard on Silva, basically if Silva stays to long in the pocket sooner or latter hes going to get tangled and it will end up in a clinch match and eventually a wrestling match if Silva cant damage control him in the clinch he will get taken down.

Silva isn't known as the heaviest hitter, and I think chael can and is willing to take more then a few hits to get in on silva. And once he is in it will be a long and frustrating night for silva, but if he picks his shoots and keeps him guessing and at a disstance it will be all silva. Chael is to slow and sloppy on his feet to do much, if it were not for the fact that he is so awkward in his standup that it throws people off, and more of a ground and grind type of fighter, most dudes especially a dude like A Silva would ko him fast.

It's basically the fact that if you watch close he has a very weird and awkward style of fighting, which works. Especially against stand up fighter who are used to more of a straight forward style that most fighters have. It's kind of leading dudes into thinking they will hit him, then he just charges in and plays his grinding game. All silva has to really do is control the tempo and keep chael guessing and keep peppering him and eventually he will give, but if he is scared to take to many chances then it will play into chaels game in fact his whole game seems to be in keeping people going back and on the defensive.

If silva can break that and get into his groove, I don't see much that chael can do besides try to tangle him up, and in the clinch I give silva the advantage as long as he knees the # out of him, and does not play the dirty boxing or positioning game with chael and goes for straight damage quick and fast, before breaking away and rinse and repeat whenever they tangle up again.

It should be an interesting rematch if it does happen.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

The latest is Dana will ask(?) Silva to fight winner of Sonnen/Bisbing. Anderson's camp recently said his return could be this fall instead of summer, as was earlier expected. Ufc will be back in Brazil this summer with Vitor/Vanderlay, and it is too bad the Silva/Sonnen battle couldn't be then. But heck, what about a December battle with Silva/Sonnen, call it the Apocolypse

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Fought MMA and participated in many BJJ tournies for nearly 4 years and I still absolutely love the sport even though I haven't stepped on the mat in damn near a year and a half.

The one thing I'm excited about the most is Overeem being in the UFC now, dude is a straight up beast at HW. I remember back in Pride he would f'n plow through guys but the weight cut to 205 always bit him in the ass. Overeem is gonna have that belt..mark my words.

I would also love to see Ricardo Arona get his ass in the UFC soon as well....dude could prove a frustrating match up for so many at 205, he'd def be top 5 easily.
edit on 22-1-2012 by baalbuster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Should be a good fight, the first was kind of lackluster, and that submission at the end was warranted. But still Anderson got controlled a lot during that fight, a rematch to settle the whole thing should be good. But first he would have to get past bisping, I know bisbing is kind of a joke to most people.

But still what if Chael losses and it ends up being Silva vs Bisping.

That will be a short fight if by some chance it comes down to that. Unlike Chael and his style which give dudes like Anderson problems, a dude like bisping and his style and skill, will basically be a punching bag for silva.

Hey it's mma and you just never know.
Stranger things have happened.

Till then the Diaz vs Condit fight should be very interesting I am looking forward to that fight. And both guys want it bad, I don't see it going past the second round in that fight, it might even end in the first. It's going to be a crazy fight.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Ahh and if I had to pick a top 5 it'd be...

1.Shogun (2005 GP was the best show of talent in my long years watching this sport)
2.BJ Penn (He's the Prodigy, nuff said)
3.Big Nog (Dude is well past his prime but one must remember his epic comebacks against Sapp and Mirko)
4.Ricardo Arona (May be boring but is so damn dominant its hard not to respect him. Watch him vs Sakuraba)
5.Mirko Cro Cop (Igor Vovchanchyn.....ask him how that kick felt)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Chael will put the same beating on Silva or worse this time but not get submitted. Silva's ribs were not hurt that is a BS excuse. You can tell by the way he was moving he was fine. Chael just shut his game down and wrestlef****ed him. Even dropped him a couple times with straight rights. Whenever Anderson tried to tee off he would draw a limb back with Chael attached and end up on his back.

I seriously doubt Anderson will fight Chael again he has turned down four offers to set up the fight and claims Chael does not deserve a rematch. That is called ducking. I agree Anderson does have the tools to end it quick but I think Chael will take the rematch if it ever happens.

Chael is gonna wreck Bisping. Bisping will try and run and out point him but he will end up on his back and Chael will carpet the octagon with his carcass

If Silva's ribs being injured was rubbish than so is the fact that Sonnen pissed dirty.

Sure he sat on top of Silva for 4 and a half rounds, but at times Silva was just letting him punch him unblocked because he was obviously doing no damage. Silva went through the whole fight on the bottom yet he took no damage. Good ol' 'pillow fist' Sonnen.

I agree, Sonnen should walk right through Bisping no problem, but I do not think Bisping is an elite fighter either.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by baalbuster

Dude overeem seems to have blown up, the dude has the frame for being that big...But still it would not surprise me if he is on something.
But whatever, I can see him getting the belt, but I cant see him hanging on to it for long...But we will see.

And arona, last I heard arona is done. He even lost a whole lot of weight and had some physical problems to, and is like -190 pounds or something, but that was some years ago, so not sure. I would like to see him back in mma but I have no clue what happened to him, and last fight I seen was years and years ago.

For real what ever happened to arona, I know he was a roid head or something and years ago I remeber he was saying he was going to blow trough everyone in the ufc, and that the ufc rules were made for him.

Now that he does not have to worry about soccer kicks to the head, or stomps to the face, and knees on the ground like he had to in Pride...But after a bunch of # talking and and saying he can beat anybody.... bam... poof... he disappeared and I never heard of him again.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by baalbuster
Ahh and if I had to pick a top 5 it'd be...

1.Shogun (2005 GP was the best show of talent in my long years watching this sport)
2.BJ Penn (He's the Prodigy, nuff said)
3.Big Nog (Dude is well past his prime but one must remember his epic comebacks against Sapp and Mirko)
4.Ricardo Arona (May be boring but is so damn dominant its hard not to respect him. Watch him vs Sakuraba)
5.Mirko Cro Cop (Igor Vovchanchyn.....ask him how that kick felt)

Good list. My all time would be

1) Crocop - In Pride during the OWGP and before he was a badass. Those kicks were lethal and he was feared by many. He also happened to be the guy I hyped up the most to my friends who were casual viewers. I would tell them all about him and how he would kill anyone in UFC...well we know how that turned out.

2) Fedor - Before his losing stint in Strikeforce he had gone 10 years undefeated, a cut that should have been a NC doesn't count in my books. He almost had an aura of invincibility around him, the fact he never looked mad, and never looked the guy in the face during the staredowns was intimidating in it's own ways. But, since Pride got bought out and he stopped evolving as the sport did around him, he has fell wayside.

3) BJ Penn - As stated, his nickname is the prodigy for a reason. I watched a video of him in a BJJ tourney when he just a white belt against all the black bets and well, the prodigy part was justified.
Other than the fact that he has fought at almost every weight class and had a razor close decision loss Machida at LHW, he has been in some great fights, although sometimes his cardio has come into question.

4) Wanderlei Silva - When a GOAT list comes up, Wandy has to be on it. The man went on a tear in Pride with 5 years as reigning champion. His wrist roll during announcements is legendary, his staredowns were frightening, but his fighting style of bombarding opponents with accurate punches was just amazing. It is a shame that his exciting fighting style lead to him being so open to counter punches.

5) Rampage Jackson - Although he may not be on everyone's list, he has always been an exciting fighter. He crushed the dreams of Dana White and Chuck Liddell in 2003 when he beat Chuck in the Grand Prix, when Chuck was the man if UFC. He had that monster slam, which was also a unintentional headbutt, on Arona that is still a MMA highlight and he has an awesome and funny personality.
I remember, I think it was shockwave 2004 when Bas was interviewing him and Rampage was wearing camouflage and Bas and him kept playing that every time Rampage stood still he would go invisible, it may not sound too funny while I'm explaining it but I thought it was hilarious and am even laughing now about it.

Shogun has honorable mention, because a lot like Jon Jones now, he was 23 tearing through the LHW division, and if his buddy Wandy was not the Champ I think Shogun would have worn that belt. He doesn't get to be on my list because, like Crocop, I hyped him up like he was the second coming of Christ when he came to the UFC. And then watched him gas, get outstruck and finally tap out to Forrest Griffen.

I had almost lost all hope in life at that point.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

wassup Pred!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

If Silva's ribs being injured was rubbish than so is the fact that Sonnen pissed dirty.

Sure he sat on top of Silva for 4 and a half rounds, but at times Silva was just letting him punch him unblocked because he was obviously doing no damage. Silva went through the whole fight on the bottom yet he took no damage. Good ol' 'pillow fist' Sonnen.

I agree, Sonnen should walk right through Bisping no problem, but I do not think Bisping is an elite fighter either.

Pred...

Anderson would differ with you on that .

Anderson- No, I don't hate him. The reality is this: When we had the opportunity to fight, he said many things and one of the things he said he ended up doing, that was to beat me up, and he beat me up a lot from beginning to end of the five rounds. However, the most important thing he didn't do which is to win, he didn't win over me... www.youtube.com...

Anderson took a lot of punishment in the fight but he is good at head movement and defending off his back against shots so did not get knocked out and showed he is tough and can take a lot but admits Chael beat him up. Chael also dropped him on the feet a couple times with the right hand. Chael is not known for striking but he has a very technical straight right hand that worked on Anderson because I think Anderson was used to more wild looping punchers trying to hit him even though Chael is not that great of a striker that surprised him.

Chael was on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) since his body does not make enough of it naturally since the age of puberty. He didn't cheat the commission says he did not report it properly which is why they reduced his suspension, he says he thought he had reported it properly. He wasn't giving some BS story about it being in supplements and he didn't know about it.

Silva was supposed to be injured but there is video of him training with Wanderlei and Machida shortly there after and as I said his movement in the fight showed no signs of rib injury. I have trained and fought over many years and rib injuries are some of the most painful and cut your breathing short etc. Silva showed none of those symptoms at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Anderson would differ with you on that .

Anderson- No, I don't hate him. The reality is this: When we had the opportunity to fight, he said many things and one of the things he said he ended up doing, that was to beat me up, and he beat me up a lot from beginning to end of the five rounds. However, the most important thing he didn't do which is to win, he didn't win over me... www.youtube.com...

Anderson took a lot of punishment in the fight but he is good at head movement and defending off his back against shots so did not get knocked out and showed he is tough and can take a lot but admits Chael beat him up. Chael also dropped him on the feet a couple times with the right hand. Chael is not known for striking but he has a very technical straight right hand that worked on Anderson because I think Anderson was used to more wild looping punchers trying to hit him even though Chael is not that great of a striker that surprised him.

Chael was on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) since his body does not make enough of it naturally since the age of puberty. He didn't cheat the commission says he did not report it properly which is why they reduced his suspension, he says he thought he had reported it properly. He wasn't giving some BS story about it being in supplements and he didn't know about it.

Silva was supposed to be injured but there is video of him training with Wanderlei and Machida shortly there after and as I said his movement in the fight showed no signs of rib injury. I have trained and fought over many years and rib injuries are some of the most painful and cut your breathing short etc. Silva showed none of those symptoms at all.

Sure nobody is going to come out and say I cheated. Of course he has an excuse, I needed TRT for some reason...sure to get bigger muscles.

Truth is we could argue back and forth about if Anderson was hurt but really, no one knows but him.

Yes, he did get beat up, he was dropped literally at will and was lying on his back for the majority of 23 minutes, but I was counting visible damage, which there was none. I watched him a few times just eat punches, he couldn't be worried about the guys power if he just ate his punches.

I really dislike Chael. I hate the fact he pissed positive, and hate the fact that he was change with mortgage fraud. The guy got beat and a criminal record, the beats a non top 10 after his suspension and calls out Anderson like he's the man. He's a douche, I agree with Anderson, or Soares, whoever said it, that he doesn't deserve a title shot. After Bisping, sure the argument is there, even though I don't think Bisping is top 5 either.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Some of my favorite fighters:

BJ Penn: Is one of my all time favorites Will fight anyone regardless of weight and tough fight for anyone one of the all time greats at light weight.

Fedor: One of the all time greats 10 years undefeated in Pride amazing. Love when he destroyed Tim Sylvia in seconds.

Shogun: always brings it will fight anyone and I still think he has the best chance at the moment against Jones.

Sakuraba: What a warrior second guy to beat Royce Gracie in a legendary battle.

Wanderlei: Was a beast in pride.

Chuck Lidell: Loved how he used to eat wrestlers for lunch especially the beat downs of Tito.

Randy Couture: Amazing career and was still beating guys half his age into his forties. Being older now I really liked that.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Dude TRT therapy does not give you big muscles. it is a legit therapy several fighters and many men are on it just restores natural testosterone levels in guys who don't have it normally. Dan Henderson is on TRT also. Educate yourself instead of repeating rhetoric. It was not some excuse it was well documented by doctors etc. Not liking someone is no reason to ignore facts.

Chael is still on TRT and not failing any tests like against Stann that ought to tell you something. It was not some one time thing. It is something he will be on the rest of his life whether he fights or not.

Some guys don't show damage visibly like others. I have seen guys beat to a pulp who hardly show anything. Me I barely get clipped and I look all bruised all up. Visible does not tell the tale.

edit on 23-1-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Dude TRT therapy does not give you big muscles. it is a legit therapy several fighters and many men are on it just restores natural testosterone levels in guys who don't have it normally. Dan Henderson is on TRT also. Educate yourself instead of repeating rhetoric. It was not some excuse it was well documented by doctors etc. Not liking someone is no reason to ignore facts.

Chael is still on TRT and not failing any tests like against Stann that ought to tell you something. It was not some one time thing. It is something he will be on the rest of his life whether he fights or not.

Some guys don't show damage visibly like others. I have seen guys beat to a pulp who hardly show anything. Me I barely get clipped and I look all bruised all up. Visible does not tell the tale.

edit on 23-1-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

I know what TRT is and what it does, I know for some it is necessary, that's not what I was saying. I am sure he needs it to some point, but doctors do bend the rules for athletes and having more testosterone in your body is helpful for performance enhancement, hence why the athletic commission tests for it.

I tend to try and not argue to heavy about stuff that I cannot prove. The guy was on TRT sure, he informed the commission yet still pissed dirty. To me that means he had more testosterone in his system than the doctor prescribed, because if it fit the doctors prescription he would not have been in any trouble.

As for the damage, we will just have to agree to disagree. I think Anderson mentioned getting his beat down as the fact that he was on his ass for 5 rounds and you took it as he literally got his ass beat.

Pred...
edit on 23-1-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

The limit was .6 he was .7 that's tenth of a point there is no argument. The whole thing was ridiculous.

Anderson said himself he got beat up for 5 rounds if you believe that means something other then what it means well then what ever.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join