It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More of the Rich Run As Populist Outsiders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
nytimes.com

MIAMI — When Jeff Greene, a k a the Meltdown Mogul, recently brought his Democratic campaign for the United States Senate to a poor Miami neighborhood rife with the kinds of subprime mortgages that he became a billionaire betting against, did he:

A) Arrive in a Cadillac Escalade S.U.V., before stumping for energy conservation;

B) Tell the crowd that he was “fed up and frustrated” with Washington while suggesting job-creation ideas previously proposed by Washington politicians;

C) Receive a raucous welcome as an outsider who could turn Florida around.

The answer? All of the above, of course.

Call it the Great Recession paradox. Even as voters express outrage at the insider culture of big bailouts and bonuses, their search for political saviors has led them to this: a growing crowd of über-rich candidates, comfortable in boardrooms and country clubs, spending a fortune to remake themselves into populist insurgents.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Let's face it. The rich will do anything to hold on to their power. If they can't use the Republican Party to do their bidding anymore (the Tea Party movement makes that more difficult now) then they will run as "outsiders." Pretending to be a representative of "the people" while planning to enact the same old kinds of legislation that makes the rich richer but does nothing for the middle and working classes.

It is wise to check thoroughly into any candidate that claims he or she is a populist to see what, exactly, has made them tick.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You made a huge mistake.

The example you posted is that of a Democrat Party candidate.

Demcrats always have to run on hypocracy and lies. If they ran on their true intentions, they would never get elected.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Believe it or not, I do not support everyone who is a Democrat, nor am I against everyone who belongs to a different party.

I have a Democratic Congressman who has voted against everything I am for. He believes he's got all the Dems in his pocket because he thinks they will vote for him rather than a Republican or outsider no matter what he does. He's got another think coming.

If I lived in Florida this is one Democrat who would not get my vote.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Those dem rich people!!!11!!1 Lynch dem all if they don't share their money!!11!!1!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
You made a huge mistake.

The example you posted is that of a Democrat Party candidate.

Demcrats always have to run on hypocracy and lies. If they ran on their true intentions, they would never get elected.

... I don't get it.

Sestias' quoted material clearly stated he was a Democrat.

This isn't about left vs. right, its about the rich continuing to have a stranglehold over US politics, while claiming to be "average Joes" and running on hypocritical populist platforms. Why even bring partisanship into this, unless you are just looking to troll the thread?

I live in Florida. This guy won't be getting my vote, and that's for damn sure.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by drwizardphd]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm surprised there's been so little activity on this thread.

Does everyone want the rich to keep total control of the country?

There are, of course, rich families like the Rockefellers and the Kennedys who were great and contributed much to the rest of society. This thread is not questioning all of them.

This thread is about rich people who PRETEND to be one of the little guys in order to get elected.

new topics

top topics

join